Sign in to follow this  
Tyler Beane Kelly

Crazy Heart - Scott Cooper (2009)

Looks like a remake of The Wrestler. Except, you know, with guitars.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

Turns out that a "remix" of Sam Phillips' song "Reflecting Light" - one of her greatest songs - is in this film.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Overstreet wrote:

: Turns out that a "remix" of Sam Phillips' song "Reflecting Light" - one of her greatest songs - is in this film.

It's been countryfied, yeah. And it plays over a sex scene. I will never hear this song the same way again.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, that ensures it'll be the most-played song of her career, I suppose. :)

But I can't bend those lyrics into any kind of shape that resembles a song for a sex scene. "Hold on to nothing for good / Turn and run at the mean dogs chasing you / Stand alone and misunderstood." Wow. That's hot.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Performances are good. The film as a whole...

Bad's downward spiral is well done, but the redemption is just too easy. Jean's attraction to him is just hard to buy why she'd bother.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Performances are good. The film as a whole...

Bad's downward spiral is well done, but the redemption is just too easy. Jean's attraction to him is just hard to buy why she'd bother.

I agree that the redemption is underplayed. When Bad says "I think I got this thing licked" on the way out of rehab, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, but then it doesn't, or at least we don't see it. (Robert Duvall gesturing at it helps some.) I'm willing to accept that the movie doesn't linger here. The rocky path to recovery can often be a holding pattern in a movie, even when it's done well (e.g., Things We Lost in the Fire). It's not where the character action is at.

Jean's attraction to Bad is more imponderable, of course. I was initially disappointed by their first encounter, but the movie recognizes that she's a character who makes bad decisions about men, and given where the movie ultimately goes with it I'm more comfortable with it now.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

4 Stars from Ebert, and this:

Jeff Bridges is a virtual certainty to win his first Oscar, after four nominations. The movie was once set for 2010 release (and before that, I hear, was going straight to cable). The more people saw it, the more they were convinced this was a great performance. Fox Searchlight stepped in, bought the rights and screened it extensively in December for critics' groups, who all but unanimously voted for Bridges as the year's best actor. We're good for something.

I'm seeing this tomorrow.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I hope Bridges wins lots of awards, including Oscar Male Lead.

I have a few problems with the way alcoholism is treated here, especially with his recovery. I don't believe Bad stays recovered once the credits roll.

Other than that, what a wonderful film.

The music? Great. The performances? Outstanding. The story itself, the tension, the arc? In my mind it was a perfect film experience. I simply take exception to an ending that was a little too gift wrapped. It could have and should have made Bad a lot messier, he certainly never bottomed out. And like I said, I'm sure the ending is still taking place somewhere out there on the road.

As a story though, as a film, I love it. Serious about that Oscar. Nice job, Ebert! Go JEFF GO!!

Edited by Persona

Wow. That's hot.

Oh yeah,one more thing: I wouldn't say "hot," necessarily, but it was well placed and very cool. As a Sam fan for nearly twenty-five years now, I was proud of her song being there. And the music and lyrics both fit in very well with the rest of the fine music in the movie.

Also, Colin Farrell was excellent as Tommy Sweet, a guy that remembes who put him on the road to success. I loved the scene where Tommy sneaks up behind Bad on stage and they share in a duet. Much like my recent (albeit disappointing) musings on Penelope Cruz in Volver, I wonder who actually sang, whether the actors were really involved or not. It sounded like their own voices, fwiw.

Edited by Persona

I hope Bridges wins lots of awards, including Oscar Male Lead.

I have a few problems with the way alcoholism is treated here, especially with his recovery. I don't believe Bad stays recovered once the credits roll.

Other than that, what a wonderful film.

The music? Great. The performances? Outstanding. The story itself, the tension, the arc? In my mind it was a perfect film experience. I simply take exception to an ending that was a little too gift wrapped. It could have and should have made Bad a lot messier, he certainly never bottomed out. And like I said, I'm sure the ending is still taking place somewhere out there on the road.

As a story though, as a film, I love it. Serious about that Oscar. Nice job, Ebert! Go JEFF GO!!

I thought there was a significant chance, in the coda, that

Bad was dead

. I go back and forth whether that wouldn't have been a better ending. Either way, it's a terrific film, though I agree the ending is a little easy. OTOH, isn't it hopeful to think that sometimes people don't need to bottom out to turn around?

Gosh, I miss the old blacked-out spoiler tags.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Gosh, I miss the old blacked-out spoiler tags.

Me, too.

OTOH, isn't it hopeful to think that sometimes people don't need to bottom out to turn around?

As one who has more experience with this than most, it is hopeful but extremely atypical. 1%, tops, because you don't care enough to change until you really bottom out, and losing a child in a mall for a few hours is not bottoming out at all.

Edited by Persona

Either way, it's a terrific film, though I agree the ending is a little easy. OTOH, isn't it hopeful to think that sometimes people don't need to bottom out to turn around?

I thought it was a very good film. I liked that it the redemption was a little more low-key compared to the VH1 Behind the Music stories I've seen about rock stars and drugs and total debauchery. While I believe that many people are too hard-headed to turn around until they have some kind of Damascus Road experience, I think the film reflects the possibility of grace in that a man can find the will for redemption before totally bottoming out.

I loved the New Mexico scenery, and that the final scene was filmed at the Santa Fe Opera House, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world (the theater design and the surrounding view).

I always thought Jeff Bridges would make a good country singer, the Dude with a pickup truck and a guitar. But I never would have pictured Colin Farrell gone country, or him pulling it off as well as he did.

Edited by Crow

Colin Farrell gone country

Now I know where I've seen him before! He's in that film Overstreet loves, isn't he?!?

Colin Farrell gone country

Now I know where I've seen him before! He's in that film Overstreet loves, isn't he?!?

Miami Vice? Daredevil?

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I haven't seen this yet, but I probably will, because hey--Jeff Bridges & a T Bone Burnett soundtrack? I'm there. However, the trailer instantly made me think of Tender Mercies. If you've seen both, am I right about the parallels--other than Robert Duvall appearing in both? Or are the similarities only superficial?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

BethR wrote:

: I haven't seen this yet, but I probably will, because hey--Jeff Bridges & a T Bone Burnett soundtrack? I'm there.

Jeff Bridges, T-Bone Burnett ... and an opening scene at a bowling alley! If you're not getting Big Lebowski flashbacks, then, uh, I guess you're not getting them.

: However, the trailer instantly made me think of Tender Mercies. If you've seen both, am I right about the parallels--other than Robert Duvall appearing in both? Or are the similarities only superficial?

It's been years since I saw Tender Mercies, so I can't comment on how deep or superficial the similarities are, but yeah, that connection occurred to me too.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

BethR wrote:

: However, the trailer instantly made me think of Tender Mercies. If you've seen both, am I right about the parallels--other than Robert Duvall appearing in both? Or are the similarities only superficial?

It's been years since I saw Tender Mercies, so I can't comment on how deep or superficial the similarities are, but yeah, that connection occurred to me too.

My own reaction left me thinking of Apocalypse Now, then again there's nothing new about that. We need to incorporate Ron Reed into the thread. I've made a promise to him to see Tender Mercies.

BethR wrote:

The film covers very similar terrain as <i>Tender Mercies</i>, and it's not as good, imo. But based on the reactions so far on this thread, I'm definitely in the minority regarding the acting. I just thought Bridges was OK, and Gyllenhaal was spotty. They didn't have any chemistry, certainly not enough to make me believe in their relationship.

Another thing. Bridges seemed like he was playing Kris Kristofferson, and I kept wondering if Kristofferson was not available.

Fans of Jeff Bridges and/or T-Bone Burnett should flip through the slide show called "The Run-Up".

Slide #10 is particularly interesting, if you note *where* the photo was taken.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

I like their curtains. And the banjos on the wall are a nice touch, too.

I want to live in a house with banjos on the wall.

Fans of Jeff Bridges and/or T-Bone Burnett should flip through the slide show called "The Run-Up".

Slide #10 is particularly interesting, if you note *where* the photo was taken.

I saw Buddy Miller's name in the credits for Crazy Heart as one of many contributing musicians. I'm pretty sure he was actually on screen at one point, perhaps even as a part of Colin Farrell's backing band!

I want to live in a house with banjos on the wall.

You should move in with us. I have a fine SS Stewart bird's eye maple 6 string banjo hanging directly next to our fireplace.

What a beautiful tumble towards recovery of a film. It never ceases to amaze me when people get dry and cleaned up, and Crazy Heart celebrates that to a degree.

But then, every time Jean is on the screen with him, the chemistry sputters a bit. Didn't seem like the best casting there.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Also enjoyed Gyllenhaal, all the casting choices...

I am not usually one to comment on acting, but she just didn't seem to fit the role very well. I had a hard time envisioning her jumping into the mangy bed of Bad Blake for one thing, which made all their subsequent romantic interaction a bit limp. The only time she really seemed to make it work was in that final scene.

Stef, why aren't you convinced he remained dry after this? I haven't read the book, so I may be missing some subtext. But what really keeps bouncing around in my head is that he goes through several transitions in the film. The most important is that he goes from the daily suicide of whiskey to sobriety. Otherwise, he goes from relative failure to career success. He goes from despondency to an aged form of hope.

And this makes his posture in that final scene a bit ambiguous. He is much different there. He seems unburdened. He is still cryptic, but now without the whole bad boy smirk. He seems really gratified, having fallen in love all over again with music. He doesn't really have anything to prove.

But then I sense something forlorn and resigned about his interaction with Jean. When he sees her ring, you can tell he is crestfallen, but not in a ruinous way. Jeff Bridges inscrutability here is phenomenal. Is this what you are referring to? You think this setback may be too tough for him to handle without the bottle?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter