Netflix and Other Home-Video Vendors [was: DVD-by-Mail]

I cry through the pores of my chest.

And yes, my choices may not be anything to get really excited about. I could have picked up Summer Hours for $1, as well as The Secret of the Grain and Monsoon Wedding for $2 each - but I already have one, and I'd rather wait for the Criterion editions of the others.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Poland:

And of course, there is the bomb that drops this month, as Starz falls off the Netflix streaming system altogether, leaving the company only Paramount, Lionsgate, Open Road, and Relativity as studio providers for now, with DreamWorks Animation landing next year.

My response, at Facebook:

Does the American version of Netflix really not have any films by Fox, or DreamWorks Animation, or...?

Oh, and no Universal? Really? . . .

Meanwhile, a brief scan of my Canadian Netflix home page shows lots of films by Fox (Narnia 3, Knight & Day, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc.), a handful by Universal (United 93, The Mummy, Sixteen Candles, etc.), some DreamWorks Animation (The Road to El Dorado, a couple of Halloween and Christmas-themed packages, etc.), some MGM videos [The Black Stallion, RoboCop 2, etc.] and even some Sony (The Pursuit of Happyness, Das Boot, etc.).

I have gotten so used to complaining about all the stuff my American friends can see on Netflix that I can't, that it comes as a surprise to hear that I may be able to access entire major distributors on my side of the border that you Americans cannot access on yours.

Or does the output from all these studios vanish when the Starz deal ends this month? I thought the only big loss to you guys there would be Disney (which we Canadians don't even get via Netflix to begin with), and I didn't think the Starz deal affected the Canadian Netflix one way or the other, but I could be wrong about that.

So... Americans, tell me: do any of those titles show up in YOUR Netflix streaming accounts?

I could also point out certain New Line and Weinstein titles, but those distributors are handled in Canada by Alliance, so it wouldn't surprise me if Alliance had a deal with Canadian Netflix while New Line (owned by Warner) and Weinstein did NOT have a deal with American Netflix.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, the loss of Starz is hit and miss. Simply because the lineup is dependent on what Starz has in it's lineup month to month thru the Starz and Encore channels. I never took advantage of the starz films on Netflix because I have Starz through my satellite provider. Starz had a lot moer than Disney...but yeah, that was how they had Disney titles on Netflix at all.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

Well, the loss of Starz is hit and miss. Simply because the lineup is dependent on what Starz has in it's lineup month to month thru the Starz and Encore channels. I never took advantage of the starz films on Netflix because I have Starz through my satellite provider. Starz had a lot moer than Disney...but yeah, that was how they had Disney titles on Netflix at all.

My current streaming queue has 190 titles in it, and the loss of Starz will knock five titles out. I get the impression that I use Netflix a bit differently than some (I'm always surprised by what they actually DO have, rather than the other way around), so I'm not too worried about the loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler wrote:

: Netflix announces an exclusive deal with the Weinstein Co.

Are no Weinstein films available in the U.S. yet? We've got Hoodwinked! and some others here in Canada, though that could be because Weinstein (like Miramax, and like New Line before Warner took over) had a Canadian distribution deal with Alliance, in which case Netflix Canada's deal might be with Alliance rather than those other companies.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Tyler wrote:

: Netflix announces an exclusive deal with the Weinstein Co.

Are no Weinstein films available in the U.S. yet? We've got Hoodwinked! and some others here in Canada, though that could be because Weinstein (like Miramax, and like New Line before Warner took over) had a Canadian distribution deal with Alliance, in which case Netflix Canada's deal might be with Alliance rather than those other companies.

The deal allows Netflix to stream movies (like The Artist) before they appear on pay-cable channels. So it's not that they've never had access to those movies before, just that they can post them sooner.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 9 months later...

Netflix has partnered with Disney:

I’m incredibly pleased and excited to tell you that Netflix will be bringing you exclusively, starting in 2016, theatrically released movies from The Walt Disney Company and its renowned studios, including Disney, Pixar and Marvel. In the meantime, we’ll have an amazing selection of Disney movies including Disney classics, catalog movies, and popular non-theatrical movies for the whole family featuring beloved characters like Tinkerbell, Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh, to name a few.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Who gives a shit about 2016? Geez.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 2 months later...

House of Cards creator Beau Willimon in The Hollywood Reporter on how Thomas Jefferson would respond to Netflix:

Were Tommy J alive today, I think he'd be impressed with Netflix. And I'd bet the Federal Reserve that he would pay $7.99/mo. to watch, dunno, Ken Burns' documentary Thomas Jefferson (available this instant). <3

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is offering digital copies of 100+ Oscar winners for $3.99 U.S. today only. Some good deals, especially if you have Roku or some Blu-Ray player that streams Amazon to your TV.

Here is the link: http://t.co/vqKrqZW2Me

• 2 months later...

Netflix is using adultery as a marketing campaign, or something like that.

Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix, accepts no blame: “Netflix continues to revolutionize entertainment by letting our members watch great content whenever and wherever they want, which seems to be leading to a cultural phenomenon of ‘stream cheating.’ With that said, Netflix can’t be held responsible for any trust issues, lovers’ spats, or marital troubles that arise from watching ahead of your partner. We also will not cover any therapy sessions. As always, we advise to Watch Responsibly.”

Twitter Blog

• 2 months later...

Wired interviewed Netflix's "recommendation dynamos" about how their algorithms work. Included in the discussion: “Many people tell us they watch foreign movies and documentaries, but in practice, that doesn’t happen.”

In other words, Netflix knows if you're lying to it.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog

Or maybe there are a lot of people like me, who love subtitled films in the theatre but have difficulty watching them at home, where there are so many things *not* on the screen clamouring for our attention.

• 2 months later...

The Dissolve:

Netflix's latest profit statement proves its rental-by-mail service is on the way out.

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Netflix wants movies to be available for streaming (on Netflix, natch) on the day they're released in theaters.

Sarandos said this is what consumers want, and that while studios are willing to experiment with following their lead, “theater owners stifle this kind of innovation at every turn.” What’s more, he warned that “as theater owners try to strangle innovation and distribution, not only are they going to kill theaters, they might kill movies,”

Twitter Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I just browsed Seattle's last Blockbuster close-out sale. They're still trying to sell previously viewed blu-rays for $9.99. They can't even get me to hand over any money at a close-out sale.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• 2 weeks later...

Overdrive, the service that allows libraries to offer free eBook and audiobook rentals, is rolling out a trial of free movie streaming in certain areas:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=news&Number=45642

That's just how eye roll.

Overdrive, the service that allows libraries to offer free eBook and audiobook rentals, is rolling out a trial of free movie streaming in certain areas:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=news&Number=45642

Some nice Film Movement titles included.

Wonder if it's possible to connect through roku or if I need to hook my computer to TV.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

• 1 month later...

Netflix has over 75,000 micogenres.

There was no way I could copy and paste tens of thousands of genre titles by hand, so I wrote a simple script, a little piece of code, that would copy the names to a list. I set it up to run and then I waited, as the script kept copying and pasting for more than 20 hours.

I found that Netflix has 76,897 separate categories. To my knowledge, no one outside Netflix has ever compiled this mass of data before. And now we can really understand how the system works.

The microgenres are formed from Netflix's version of Mad Libs — an algorithm that takes all the tags in Netflix's system and combines them based on specific criteria, especially the number of movies fitting the category.

Edited by Tyler

Twitter Blog