Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Movies Everyone Except You Loves

FIGHT CLUB. Undoubtedly FIGHT CLUB has some very fine aspects as a film, but when one actually bothers to consider its intellectual content, FIGHT CLUB is as smart as a bag of rocks.

Agreed.

I've never seen E.T. or Titanic...

:blink:

Wow. Congratulations, that's a feat in itself!

Oh! me! I've never seen them either!

(Well, okay, the first 10 minutes of E.T., but that's it.)

Well, no one seemed to be giving hate to the films that needed some, so -

The Social Network

The Golden Compass

I Heart Huckabees

Cold Mountain

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Last Samurai

Edited by Persiflage

Man. Rereading this thread, I find myself riveted by my back-and-forth with Bowen on The Wizard of Oz. I don't remember this discussion well, so I'm all like, "Go SDG from 13 months ago!" :D

Up

Reservoir Dogs

Braveheart

Gladiator

Saving Private Ryan

Anything by Lars von Trier

The Patriot

Anything Kevin Smith-related.

(Almost) any James Bond film.

Come on now, let's have standards here. Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan may have been sufficiently generally acclaimed to make dislike a slightly (not very) contrarian view, but von Trier is so provocative and controversial that there is no contrarian stance; by no stretch of the imagination does "everyone except you love" him. There are also plenty of nay-sayers for Kevin Smith and 007. As for The Patriot, I'm not sure disliking it doesn't put you in the critical majority.

Well, no one seemed to be giving hate to the films that needed some, so -

The Social Network

The Golden Compass

I Heart Huckabees

Cold Mountain

The Last Samurai

Ditto. Seems to me you've got two solid contenders here, The Social Network and Crouching Tiger. They have their critics, but dislike is still a contrarian view. Avatar may pushing it, though, and on The Golden Compass and The Last Samurai you're surely well in the mainstream, if not the majority.

Edited by SDG

Does The Curious Case of Benjamin Button count? Because I finally caught it recently and, though it's certainly not a stinker, that's three hours of my too-short life I want back.

Edited by NBooth

Up

Ditto. The most overrated film i can think of in recent memory.

Seems to me you've got two solid contenders here, The Social Network and Crouching Tiger. They have their critics, but dislike is still a contrarian view. Avatar may pushing it, though, and on The Golden Compass and The Last Samurai you're surely well in the mainstream, if not the majority.

It seems all my friends love Golden Compass and Last Samurai, but maybe I just need new friends. As far as Avatar goes, I seem to remember it making (like The Social Network) far far too many top 10 lists for its year.

Does The Curious Case of Benjamin Button count? Because I finally caught it recently and, though it's certainly not a stinker, that's three hours of my too-short life I want back.

But what happened to your faith in Fincher's "sure hand" that you are relying on for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Edited by Persiflage

To be fair, I did have ZODIAC and SEVEN in mind when I said that.;)

Greg P wrote:

: Jason Panella wrote:

: : Up

:

: Ditto. The most overrated film i can think of in recent memory.

Have you guys commented on that film in its thread? Because I'd be interested to hear your reasons.

Why you cold-hearted... ;)

As for myself, I know that I am not the only one, but I can't think of anyone who hated The Dark Knight like I do.

Come on now, let's have standards here. Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan may have been sufficiently generally acclaimed to make dislike a slightly (not very) contrarian view, but von Trier is so provocative and controversial that there is no contrarian stance; by no stretch of the imagination does "everyone except you love" him. There are also plenty of nay-sayers for Kevin Smith and 007. As for The Patriot, I'm not sure disliking it doesn't put you in the critical majority.

Sorry. I just thought of these in regards to the topic, since when I thought of "most people," I thought of most of the people who have seen the films in question, not just the A&F elite. I guess I could nitpick and say three of your initial choices aren't movies that "everyone loves" either. In fact, most of my movie buff friends hate Moulin Rouge.

Have you guys commented on that film in its thread? Because I'd be interested to hear your reasons.

I honestly don't have a good reason, per se. I just didn't like it. And I was fully expecting to, considering how much I like other Pixar films.

Edited by Jason Panella

As for myself, I know that I am not the only one, but I can't think of anyone who hated The Dark Knight like I do.

I can't read your mind, of course, but I hated The Dark Knight a lot.

A better, more topic-focused list.

Up

Reservoir Dogs

8 1/2

Shoot the Piano Player

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Schindler's List

The Wild Bunch

The Man With No Name trilogy

Breathless

Yes. I'm sure there are other humans beings out there that do not like these movies. I don't know any, though. (Besides Greg, for the first one.)

A better, more topic-focused list.

Up

Reservoir Dogs

8 1/2

Shoot the Piano Player

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Schindler's List

The Wild Bunch

The Man With No Name trilogy

Breathless

Yes. I'm sure there are other humans beings out there that do not like these movies. I don't know any, though. (Besides Greg, for the first one.)

Now that is more controversial. I'll say, though, that SCHINDLER'S LIST has received some serious criticism over the years. Still, it's a minority position, but there are quite a few people who aren't too enamored with it. Including myself (I do have a positive attitude towards the film, but I don't think it's a Great Film).

Now that is more controversial. I'll say, though, that SCHINDLER'S LIST has received some serious criticism over the years. Still, it's a minority position, but there are quite a few people who aren't too enamored with it. Including myself (I do have a positive attitude towards the film, but I don't think it's a Great Film).

I think I'm in the same camp. I have no hatred for it, but I do not like it either. Holocaust-related films tend to drain me emotionally, so I'm guess this contributes to my feelings.

Holocaust-related films tend to drain me emotionally, so I'm guess this contributes to my feelings.

Well, any good Holocaust film should drain the viewer, so I won't hold that against SCHINDLER'S LIST. One of the problems I have with the film is that it actually holds back in ways that it shouldn't.

I admire Schindler's List, but I have never watched it outside of its original theatrical run, in part because the conclusion of the film (the Schindler breakdown scene) all but spoiled it for me. Similarly, I went from being euphoric with Saving Private Ryan after my first viewing to eventually deciding that the cons outweighed the pros on that one. When I list my favorite Spielberg films, neither title is on it.

Edited by Overstreet

Well, any good Holocaust film should drain the viewer, so I won't hold that against SCHINDLER'S LIST. One of the problems I have with the film is that it actually holds back in ways that it shouldn't.

This is true, but Holocaust films go a step more with me. One of those internal things I don't know how to put a finger on.

I admire Schindler's List, but I have never watched it outside of its original theatrical run, in part because the conclusion of the film (the Schindler breakdown scene) all but spoiled it for me.

Personally, I am most bothered by the "gas chamber fakeout" sequence. As far as "Holocaust movies" go, I find much more to admire in Polanski's THE PIANIST.

This is interesting:

Edited by Ryan H.

Ryan, this I know (as far as it goes): Schindler's women really were accidentally routed to Auschwitz, they really were stripped and had their hair cut, and then Schindler really did negotiate their release.

I'm going to watch the movie again prior to writing the blurb about it--so I'll look at how that sequence matches up with the facts. But if it does (and when I wrote my senior thesis on the movie, that's what I concluded) then I don't think that particular scene can fairly to said to not go far enough. I actually think it's one of the movie's best scenes.

I'm not too concerned about how SCHINDLER'S LIST matches with history event-by-event, I'm more concerned with how it is structured as a whole, how it is designed as a comment on the Holocaust; Spielberg's film does not seem so much as an account of one man's true struggle as it seems an attempt to reckon with the Holocaust entire, which is why the film falters. Simply put, Spielberg's SCHINDLER'S LIST is the Holocaust made palatable for audiences. Kubrick's famous quote, which Gilliam references above, hits it on the head: "Think that’s about the Holocaust? That was about success, wasn’t it? The Holocaust is about six million people who get killed. Schindler’s List is about 600 who don’t."

But what especially irks me about the shower scene in SCHINDLER'S LIST is not that it couldn't have happened, but because Spielberg plays it like any suspense film from his previous movies. It becomes a thrill, a bit of titillation, along the same lines of the suspense sequences Spielberg played in JAWS, but dressed up in Holocaust imagery. I can appreciate that kind of roller-coaster manipulation in Spielberg's more popcorn fare, but in a serious treatment of the Holocaust, I find it a definite misstep.

Wall-E

This is the only Pixar film that had me checking my watch in the theatre. I've tried a couple of times to rewatch, thinking perhaps I wasn't in the mood for it the first time out, but I cannot make past the halfway point.

I've only seen Schindler's List the one time, 17 years ago, but I can remember realizing at some point during the film that none of the characters who had been developed in any remotely meaningful way were going to die. (Well, except for the Nazi, maybe.) I realized that this movie was based on the memories of the survivors and, therefore, everyone whose perspective we were privy to was going to survive. That kind of sucked some of the suspense out of the movie, for me.