Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryan H.

Movies You Love That Are Not Loved By Everyone Else

146 posts in this topic

Superman Returns for sure.

I absoluted love the live action Peter Pan and very few people I know get that. It's pure magic to me though.

FWIW, both of these were favorites of He Who Will Not Be Named, along with Big Fish.

I'm a Peter Pan fan myself, but I find the 2003 version just okay (and I don't like Finding Neverland).

Reign Over Me, starring ... this one's for Stef ... ADAM SANDLER.

It wasn't even half as bad as Gertrud, in fact there were some good moments in it. So there.

Delphine Gleize's Carnage.

: Napolean Dynamite

Surely everyone loves that?

This is an interesting comment in relationship to the title. Who is the "Everyone Else"? I think most of us would be hard-pressed to find a movie that we loved and most people here did not. This board keeps good company.

When I think of the "everyone else" I am thinking more of my circle of family and friends which means that most of what I love is indeed "Not Loved By Everyone Else," Napolean Dynamite included.

But for those here I think I would say, My Date With Drew

American Pie I & II, An American Wedding, A Wedding, all Farrely Brothers, almost. Liar, Liar!, any of the Zucker, Abrams, Zucker (Airplane I&II, Young Doctors In Love, Top Secret),

Canadian Bacon, Octopussy, Payback, Gremlins II, for starters.

: Napolean Dynamite

Surely everyone loves that?

This is an interesting comment in relationship to the title. Who is the "Everyone Else"? I think most of us would be hard-pressed to find a movie that we loved and most people here did not. This board keeps good company.

When I think of the "everyone else" I am thinking more of my circle of family and friends which means that most of what I love is indeed "Not Loved By Everyone Else," Napolean Dynamite included.

But for those here I think I would say, My Date With Drew

See I take it for granted that most people in the real world don't like an awful lot of what I like, but here I expect people to like the same kind of things which is what makes this converstaion one worth having.

Matt

I just picked this up in a Zellers cheapie section. Can't wait to see it.

I've always thought of From Russia With Love as one of the better Bonds, as well, and it's generally well-regarded in fandom; confessing a deep love for Octopussy (which I do) or A View to a Kill (no) might be more controversial, though.

I guess with From Russia, I'm more responding to the automatic crowning of Goldfinger as the series' king, which I understand in light of that film's contributions to the Bond tradition. From Russia is well-regarded, but I think it deserves the sort of love that is reserved for Goldfinger. I also have a deep love for Octopussy; it's one of Moore's very best. And while I fully recognize how awful View is, I do confess to having a certain appreciation for its first half. I think I've only seen it through twice, but that first half I've seen quite a few times, and enjoyed.

Anders, I wholeheartedly stand with you on Jackson's King Kong. One of this decade's great entertainments, bloat and all.

SDG, I'm happy you mentioned Spider-Man 3. Certain parts grate on me, but I'm still very fond of it. It gets unfairly dumped on far too much.

Mystery Men! I'll take that over Watchmen, any day.

Here are a couple more: Lord of War, which has grown on me greatly since first viewing, and Star Trek: Nemesis. Probably the most annoying thing for me about the release of Abrams' Star Trek was reading the endless "last time we saw a Star Trek film was 2002's Nemesis, and it sucked" sort of recaps that opened practically every review of the new one. I kinda love Nemesis. It's not all bad.

I guess I could mention The Family Way (1966) -- which has been my official third-favorite movie ever for nearly 20 years now -- but the primary reason other people don't love it is because they simply haven't seen it. I don't think it was even released on home video in North America until earlier this year (or was it last year? anyway, it was very recently).

Peter, I'm so intrigued by your love for this little film that I rented it earlier today. I'll watch it in the next week or so and get back to you.

Edited by Nathaniel

I just picked this up in a Zellers cheapie section. Can't wait to see it.

That's so cool. I put it in my queue a few days ago after I listed it here. I wanted to see if I really do love it, or if it's just one of those films that you can't get out of your mind, even years later.

We should start a thread on it after we see it.

American Pie I & II, An American Wedding, A Wedding, all Farrely Brothers, almost. Liar, Liar!, any of the Zucker, Abrams, Zucker (Airplane I&II, Young Doctors In Love, Top Secret),

Canadian Bacon, Octopussy, Payback, Gremlins II, for starters.

I am in agreement with most of these.

My contribution? Deep Rising.

Choke

We Own the Night

Rocky Balboa

Romance & Cigarettes

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Troy

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog

Payback

Edited by Persiflage

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I'll join you in that one. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an absolute riot.

May need a re-watch, but as I recall, I was more intrigued with My Son, My Son, What have Ye Done? than pretty much anyone else on the planet. Of course, along with CQ and Masked and Anonymous, it goes on my list of "movies that are pretentious and probably terrible but which exert a strange attraction for me."

Edited by NBooth

Choke

We Own the Night

Rocky Balboa

Romance & Cigarettes

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Troy

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog

Payback

I'm with you on Troy and Confessions.

Critically, I understand why Troy is lame, but I've still found it engrossing both times I've watched it, and would love to see it again.

With Confessions, I think Clooney and company did some fascinating things with the imagery and narrative, Sam Rockwell played a great Chuck Barris, and I have fond memories of watching 'The Gong Show' with my family as a kid. ::blushing::

Edited by Andrew

I find Confessions of a Dangerous Mind fascinating, actually, and if you watch the director's commentary, some of the things they did in that film were brilliant.

Critically, I understand why Troy is lame, but I've still found it engrossing both times I've watched it, and would love to see it again.

Have you seen the 3 hour director's cut? The extra material improves the overall pacing -- it actually feels like a faster film -- and gives more time to Peter O'Toole and Sean Bean. It also adds some much more brutally violent bits that do a better job of grounding the film in its intent to make a gritty re-telling of the myth than the original cut did.

I say that as one who, at the time of release, easily fit the prime target audience for Troy (teenagers still high on Return of the King and endless aerial battle shots), and who hated the original cut when I saw it in the theater. But the DC makes me kind of fond of it.

Have you seen the 3 hour director's cut? The extra material improves the overall pacing -- it actually feels like a faster film -- and gives more time to Peter O'Toole and Sean Bean. It also adds some much more brutally violent bits that do a better job of grounding the film in its intent to make a gritty re-telling of the myth than the original cut did.

No, I haven't seen this - thanks for pointing it out. And it looks like Netflix carries this version - reading their description reminded me of other reasons I liked Troy: actors like Brendan Gleeson and Brian Cox at their scenery-chewing finest.

I say that as one who, at the time of release, easily fit the prime target audience for Troy (teenagers still high on Return of the King and endless aerial battle shots), and who hated the original cut when I saw it in the theater. But the DC makes me kind of fond of it.

I saw the DC and didn't consider it any major improvement. I did like seeing more Sean Bean, but all in all, I didn't think the extra material added that much. And what they did with the music--some of it original score, some of it recognizable temp track taken from films like the Burton PLANET OF THE APES--bugged me a bit, especially when they had a pretty decent, unused Gabriel Yared score to rely on.

Intolerable Cruelty

Pirates II

Rat Race

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang; Intolerable Cruelty. Oh yes, absolutely. Anything that can contain, to some extent, Downey, Jr and Kilmer deserves a watch.

Super Troopers

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Bollywood movies have millions of fans worldwide, but very few on this board. I'm no expert, but Lagaan, Veer-Zaara, Jodha-Akbar, Asoka, and Swades stand out, both visually and for some slamming musical numbers.

Bollywood movies have millions of fans worldwide, but very few on this board. I'm no expert, but Lagaan, Veer-Zaara, Jodha-Akbar, Asoka, and Swades stand out, both visually and for some slamming musical numbers.

Interestingly, A Bollywood film - Well Done, Abba(I think it's probably Bollywood-lite, only 2 musical numbers) - was included in the Whitehead Film Festival this year. Not up to normal WIFF standards, but it wasn't a bad film. Lagaan is on my list to try out.

LAGAAN was one of the most painful moviewatching experiences of my life.

Sharing the love on Jodha Akbar, among others.

Lagaan was not so painful for me, but I enjoy sports motiefs anyway. Almost any Bollywood I've seen, even the hybrid stuff like Bride and Prejudice has been quite enjoyable, though the squeaky singing on the part of otherwise sultry voiced actesses takes getting used to.

I'm having a new appreciation of some of Alan Rudolph's work. I've often thought of him as a paint-drying version of Robert Altman. Saw The Moderns again when a DIA exhibit of frauds, fakes, and forgeries picqued my interest. I liked it. Very intriguing plot concerning just what the false might be and how one might discern the false and the forged.