A&F Poll Top 10 Films of the Decade: Results

I haven't seen YI-YI. I suppose that's something I should remedy. Anyway, cheers to THERE WILL BE BLOOD and ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND. :)

Otherwise, the dumbest bits of Fight Club are Palahniuk's fault, not Fincher's. It is an admirable adaptation even if you don't like the book.

I'll never deny that FIGHT CLUB is a well-made film, and that when I watch it, I'm always engaged. I don't deny that FIGHT CLUB is a strong showpiece for Fincher. But however excellent much of it may be, its excellence lies in service of some fairly dumb--even loathsome--ideas, and thus I cannot bring myself to admire the film. Neither can I shift the blame from Fincher to Palahniuk; while you are right that Palahniuk is the origin of everything I dislike about FIGHT CLUB, in adapting the novel, Fincher has appropriated its contents and therefore becomes something of a co-author with Palahniuk.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither can I shift the blame from Fincher to Palahniuk

Fair enough. I had a hard time writing that sentence because it is an awkward equivocation. But because of Fincher's craft (and Meatloaf and the Pixies) I like the film way better than the book. That is probably a better way to put it.

Edited by MLeary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Go team! I'm surprised and delighted to see Yi Yi so highly ranked. I would so love to include it in the Glen Workshop film seminar, but it's 170+ minutes and would swallow a whole session with hardly any time for discussion.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Overstreet wrote:

: I would so love to include it in the Glen Workshop film seminar, but it's 170+ minutes and would swallow a whole session with hardly any time for discussion.

You could do whatever I do when I've got to watch screeners in a rush, or when I need to watch a long-ish film in its entirety while the twins are in preschool: play it at 1.5x speed!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Go team! I'm surprised and delighted to see Yi Yi so highly ranked.

Yes, so far Children of Men is the only real head-scratcher, and the rest are fine choices. Spirited Away is another one I am thrilled to see up there, even though I couldn't find room to vote for it.

I am assuming that a, um, certain film made it to the top three?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I am assuming that a, um, certain film made it to the top three?

In actuality, three certain films did.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Yi Yi bored me

UGH! I would rather watch microwavable popcorn pop than sit thru Yiyi or Spirited Away again.

Barnacles! What is WRONG with you people? I give you a golden opportunity in this BEST OF THE DECADE vote and you blow it, BIG TIME.

Care to extrapolate that "remarkable statement about the post-millenial film watching experience" for me?

No. Maybe another thread some day. You are derailing us really bad here, poopy-pants. But I will definitely start a thread soon on how "style is married to substance." That there are nine (so far in my counting, there might be more by then) ways in which style and substance can be viewed in relation to one another. This will be my latest thesis that will blow all of film watching society out of their stinking Yiyi loving socks. A&F will actually go down, there will be too many hits for us to handle the attention.

I know you are waiting with baited breath.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Yi Yi is even more memorable on account of its Flickerings screening way back when that I am fairly certain I attended. I was there in 2004, right?

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I do believe that's correct, I was there sleeping.

Kind of surprised Jean-Pierre and Luc haven't shown up yet, especially since we just voted them the most important directors of the decade. Maybe they made too many great films and had their support spread out too thin between them. They were the only director I thought about putting on my list twice.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Kind of surprised Jean-Pierre and Luc haven't shown up yet, especially since we just voted them the most important directors of the decade. Maybe they made too many great films and had their support spread out too thin between them. They were the only director I thought about putting on my list twice.

I thought about them and Haneke and it hurt to only include one from each.

You are derailing us really bad here, poopy-pants.

God forbid we talk about more than "______ deserves/does not deserve to be on the list." :P

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Predictions without the math: 1. Fellowship 2. The Son 3. Caspar the Friendly Ghost

I thought about them and Haneke and it hurt to only include one from each.

You are derailing us really bad here, poopy-pants.

God forbid we talk about more than "______ deserves/does not deserve to be on the list." :P

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

Predictions without the math: 1. Fellowship 2. The Son 3. Caspar the Friendly Ghost

I've always seen it spelled Casper. Your spelling made me think of Herzog making a beyond-the-grave cartoon sequel to Kaspar Hauser, which would have to be the top film of any decade. It wouldn't even be close.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Now to the films with widespread support.

No. 4:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(98 points/9 voters)

Final three tomorrow morning.

Dale

Cheers for Yi Yi and Spirited Away, but I remain baffled by the fascination for Eternal Sunshine.... Maybe explains why I wanted to leave California...

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

: Kind of surprised Jean-Pierre and Luc haven't shown up yet.

Well Le Fils is top 3 for certain.

I'm amazed Eternal Sunshine is so high. I enjoyed it certainly, and think a great deal of it. But fourth best film of the decade?

And now I need to see YiYi, I guess.

Matt

No. 3:

The New World

(142 points/10 voters)

No. 2:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

(148 points/12 voters)

No. 1:

The Son

(175 points/13 voters)

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Mr. J. Overstreet was the only voter to give points to all three of the top three films; in fact, he gave points to six of the top seven films, as well as no. 9. I dub thee the A&F bellwether.

Mr. D. Manson was the (I guess) anti-bellwether; the highest-ranked film he gave points to was Pan's Labyrinth at no. 15. Mr. R. Kennedy was second in the anti-bellwether stakes with The Incredibles at no. 13.

Dale

So it's finished. I'm out-of-step with the A&F community, I suppose, since only two of the films I voted for made their way into the top 10 (even if I'm not worthy of the title of "anti-bellwether"). But while I have my gripes, if one ignores ranking--which is arguably fair, given the voting system in place--the top 10 is (mostly) comprised of solid films, so I can dig it.

Edited by Ryan H.

19(tie). The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - (38 points/3 voters)

19(tie). Dogville - (38 points/3 voters)

18. The Dark Knight - (39 points/5 voters)

17. Beau Travail - (40 points/2 voters)

15(tie). Pan's Labyrinth - (40 points/4 voters)

15(tie). Master and Commander - (40 points/4 voters)

14. Memento - (41 points/3 voters)

13. The Incredibles - (42 points/5 voters)

12. Punch-Drunk Love - (45 points/5 voters)

11. Lars and the Real Girl - (48 points/4 voters)

10. Zodiac - (50 points/3 voters)

9. Code Unknown - (52 points/3 voters)

8. Children of Men - (56 points/5 voters)

7. Spirited Away - (80 points/8 voters)

6. Yi Yi - (88 points/5 voters)

5. There Will Be Blood - (97 points/6 voters)

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - (98 points/9 voters)

3. The New World - (142 points/10 voters)

2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - (148 points/12 voters)

1. The Son - (175 points/13 voters)

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

It is interesting, though. If you showed someone our director's poll, they probably wouldn't project anything close to this list.

Edited by MLeary

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter