Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Passengers

12 posts in this topic

Muccino in talks to direct 'Passengers'

ROME -- Italo helmer with Hollywood credentials Gabriele Muccino is in advanced negotiations with Morgan Creek to board Keanu Reeves starrer "Passengers," a sci-fi romancer he described as "a love story set on a spaceship."

Muccino, whose English-language pics include Will Smith starrers "The Pursuit of Happyness" and "Seven Pounds," said he expected to start shooting "Passengers" this summer. . . .

Mid-budget sci-fier is penned by Jon Spaihts, who also penned Ridley Scott's untitled "Alien" prequel project.

"Passengers" is set in the future on a spacecraft making a centuries-long interstellar voyage to a new planet. Due to a computer glitch, a single passenger (Reeves) awakens from cryogenic sleep 90 years before anyone else. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he, in turn, awakens a beautiful woman. . . .

Variety, January 26

I bet she's pissed.

ROME -- Italo helmer with Hollywood credentials Gabriele Muccino is in advanced negotiations with Morgan Creek to board Keanu Reeves starrer "Passengers," a sci-fi romancer he described as "a love story set on a spaceship."

Muccino, whose English-language pics include Will Smith starrers "The Pursuit of Happyness" and "Seven Pounds," said he expected to start shooting "Passengers" this summer. . . .

Mid-budget sci-fier is penned by Jon Spaihts, who also penned Ridley Scott's untitled "Alien" prequel project.

"Passengers" is set in the future on a spacecraft making a centuries-long interstellar voyage to a new planet. Due to a computer glitch, a single passenger (Reeves) awakens from cryogenic sleep 90 years before anyone else. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he, in turn, awakens a beautiful woman. . . .

Variety, January 26

The real question is, "How will we be able to tell when Keanu isn't cryogenically frozen anymore?"

Variety, January 26

The real question is, "How will we be able to tell when Keanu isn't cryogenically frozen anymore?"

Because he will then speak. You will hear him say: "Dude, I'm in space..."

Keanu Reeves populates 'Passengers'

CANNES -- A newly reinvigorated Morgan Creek has licensed its latest project, "Passengers," to be directed by Italian auteur Gabriele Muccino, to Medusa in Italy and to Herbert Kloiber's TeleMunchen in Germany. Other deals in key territories are pending on the $90 million pic, which will go out domestically through Universal.

Keanu Reeves already has been locked up as the male lead, while his female love interest is still being sought for what the producers short-handed as "Adam & Eve in Space." The pic also will have a couple of comedic roles and set designs created by some of the wizards who worked on "Avatar." . . .

Set in the future, "Passengers" centers on Jim Preston (Reeves), a mechanic on a 120-year journey to a distant colonized planet in another galaxy, who becomes the first traveler to experience pod hibernation failure. Having woken up 100 years too soon, he is stranded in the world of an interstellar spaceship with only robots and androids for companionship.

A year into his journey, he decides to wake up a fellow passenger, a beautiful journalist named Aurora. They fall in love but must soon deal not only with the revelation of Jim's misjudged act of waking her but a major malfunction of the ship itself . . .

Hollywood Reporter, May 16

*** SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE TRAILER ***

I happened to watch The Abyss for the first time in years a few nights ago. Seeing Passengers so soon afterwards was... not helpful to Passengers. (They have at least one major plot twist in common, and The Abyss does it much, much better.)

Why does the ship have a computer voice telling people where to get good views of the star that they're sling-shotting around? There aren't supposed to be *any* people awake at that point in the journey.

I was really expecting Jennifer Lawrence to get pregnant at some point in this film, just based on what we see in the trailers etc. (or maybe because I saw The Red Turtle, which also features a man and woman stranded alone together, on a literal desert island in their case), but... she doesn't? as far as we know?

Whoever put that shot of Andy Garcia in the trailer needs to be shot.

I was kind of "with" the movie, more than not, for the first two thirds or so. It was nothing spectacular, but it was interesting, and I loved the pretty pictures. But then comes the big climactic thing, which feels like it's from another movie, and then comes a series of endings, like the filmmakers couldn't figure out *quite* how to resolve things in a way that would please the most people, and all the time I'm thinking, "When will Andy Garcia show up? When will Andy Garcia show up?"

Jon Spaihts has now written *two* movies with automated medical pods (this film and Prometheus). The only other film he has had a writing credit on so far is Doctor Strange, which also sort-of features a person operating on himself (technically, it features the ghost of Doctor Strange instructing Rachel McAdams on how to save the body of Doctor Strange). ... Oh, wait, Spaihts also wrote The Darkest Hour, the alien-invasion movie set in Moscow. I don't remember any self-operations in that film.

Not to derail too much Peter but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Red Turtle, you're one of the only other people I know who've seen it. Perhaps another thread? Beautiful movie and definitely in my top 10 of 2016

The first ten minutes are now online.

Based on that, I may just go see this tonight at the $3 movie palace.