Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

To the Wonder (2012)

Must. Remain. Calm. So I can type this properly.

According to Nikki Finke: Terrence Malick is working on another movie.

Well, what’s this? Does Terrence Malick have yet another film in the works? According to Nikki Finke he does. She’s reporting that the reclusive, methodical filmmaker is prepping “an as yet untitled love story” for which he’s written a script. Claim is that he’s got Christian Bale, Javier Bardem, Olga Kurylenko and Rachel McAdams on board to appear in the movie.

Nikki Finke’s rather breathless report (she says “he’s written and directed” the film) is light on details beyond the basics. But when we’re talking about a new Malick film the basics are all we’re likely to get for a while. I’d expect some trade confirmation of this to be coming down right quick. At least, that’s how I’m interpreting Finke’s rush to post. She says the plan is to shoot the film later this year.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Link to the actual Nikki Finke post that started this.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Variety and the Hollywood Reporter are now carrying the news, too, with a statement from the producers and everything. So I guess it's legit.

And now I'm flashing back to the New World junket, and how Christian Bale said at the time: "It's nice just to be involved, even if in a small manner, in what I see to be a truly wonderful movie, and very very unique, and I would do it again in a shot, even if he cut me down to nothing, again, because he's just a very enjoyable personality and soul to be around." I'm glad to hear that Bale is getting a chance to to "do it again" so soon after his last experience.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I just kind of slumped over in my chair for a while.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I must catch this in an actual theater when it's released. I've only seen Malick's films on DVD, and while that it is certainly better than not seeing them at all, I strongly sense that much is lost in the translation from big screen to small. I hope this one actually comes to Albuquerque... (if I'm not back in the D.C. area by the time that it's released).

Edited by Christopher Lake

AICN, riffing on a celebrity sighting report in the Tulsa World, speculates that Ben Affleck or Jennifer Garner may have joined the cast of this film.

Daredevil replaces Batman!!

- - -

Exclusive: Ben Affleck, Rachel Weisz Join Terrence Malick's Next Movie

Oscar winners Ben Affleck and Rachel Weisz have joined the cast of Terrence Malick's next movie, individuals familiar with the project have told TheWrap.

Weisz's publicist has confirmed the actress' casting to TheWrap, while Affleck's representatives did not immediately return TheWrap's messages.

The project was announced at the Berlin Film Festival, where it was described as a "romantic drama" and a "powerful and moving love story."

Christian Bale, Javier Bardem, Rachel McAdams and Olga Kurylenko were announced as the initial cast members, but it seems that Affleck will be replacing Bale in the picture. . . .

TheWrap.com, August 12

Four days ago, Production Weekly tweeted that they had an office fax number for this film. And now, as of this weekend, Rockville Music Magazine has photographic evidence that filming has commenced.

Includes photos of Malick spotted on the set!

- - -

Untitled film starring Ben Affleck shot in downtown Pawhuska

Pawhuskans have been in a frenzy as Hollywood mega-stars Ben Affleck, Javier Bardem and Barry Pepper have been walking the streets of downtown Pawhuska filming for an upcoming and untitled project by director Terrence Malick. . . .

Film crews descended on Bartlesville and Pawhuska at the beginning of October with movie equipment. The crew has shot scenes in the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Pawhuska, which features stained glass windows with depictions of Osages, and the historic Triangle Building in downtown Pawhuska.

The first floor facing Main Street of the Triangle Building was transformed into a faux-restaurant where Barry Pepper and Javier Bardem shot scenes dressed as priests. The filming was visible to passers-by, conspicuously giving Main Street more traffic than usual. Crews began dismantling the restaurant set Monday, Oct. 18. . . .

Osage News, October 19

Hmmm. Was this movie called The Burial at one point?

Overstreet wrote:

: /Film consolidates the recent news and plot summary.

Actually, as far as The Burial is concerned, they basically just regurgitated bits of this one story below; they didn't really "consolidate" anything:

- - -

Exclusive: Details from the Set of Terrence Malick's New Drama

Terrence Malick is a notoriously secretive, fiercely press-shy filmmaker who has always kept a tight lid on his projects.

If you're a fan of the reclusive director of "The Thin Red Line" and don't want to be spoiled, read no further -- because we've got tons of details about Malick's follow-up to "The Tree of Life," which is rumored to be titled "The Burial."

The Oscar-nominated director recently wrapped principal photography on the "romantic drama" starring Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Rachel Weisz and Olga Kurylenko - the recent Bond girl - along with Javier Bardem and Barry Pepper.

An individual inside the production provided TheWrap with call sheets, the details of which Deal Central has pieced together to reveal much of the plot. And that nude scene? Read below. . . .

TheWrap.com, December 1

- - -

FWIW, as always, I wonder how much stock we should put in anything based on set reports etc., given that Malick tends to reinvent his movies in the editing room.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

... and purdy purd-ictable too.

I hope I'm still as big a Malick fan in a year or two. I don't want him to become a brand like Eddie Bauer.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

What’s next for Terrence Malick after 'The Tree of Life'?

What is known: It’s a love story, and it uses some of the same radical slice-of-life production techniques used on “Tree.” One person who worked on the film described it as even more experimental, in fact. It’s also the first film Malick has made that’s not in period, which should make for a switch for viewers used to his visions of throwback America.

There’s no U.S. distributor yet for the Affleck movie, but one person who saw a few minutes that are being shown to foreign buyers said that the meditativeness for which Malick is known is there in spades. There was no discernible story or a voice-over in the footage, but shots of Affleck and McAdams in Malick's trademark man-in-nature style. . . .

Malick himself may have offered the biggest clue as to when his new movie might be ready: He has told members of his production team to keep the summer and fall open for a possible shoot of yet another film –- which means he expects to be finished with this one in a matter of months.

Los Angeles Times, May 27

Ryan H. wrote:

: I'm fascinated by how Malick seems to be more active as a filmmaker now than he ever was before. Has any other filmmaker made such a late-career turn around?

Ridley Scott used to go four, five years between movies, and then, starting with Gladiator, he began churning out movies almost yearly.

Michael Sheen and Amanda Peet Confirm Roles In Terrence Malick’s Next Film; Jerod Tate To Compose Score

Going by the rumored title of The Burial, the film already stars Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel Weisz, Barry Pepper, Charles Baker and Jessica Chastain. But with shooting wrapped quite some time ago, new names are surfacing. For some reason this slipped past the cracks, but during his Midnight in Paris press tour Michael Sheen confirmed clear as day that he recently worked with Terrence Malick on a film. With only The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1 and Part 2 on the horizon for the actor, it is nice to see him take part in this film.

While doing some more digging, I also uncovered that Amanda Peet has confirmed her role in the film, speaking with L.A. Story about the experience. The actress recently delivered a great performance in Nicole Holofcener‘s Please Give and although she has mostly stayed under the radar the last few years, it will be a treat to see her work with Malick. Read what she had to say below. . . .

The Film Stage, October 31