Sign in to follow this  
M. Dale Prins

The thread where we grudgingly admit how few of the A&F top 100 we've actually seen.

34. In the top ten, I've only seen Ordet, The Decalogue, Babette's Feast, The Son, and The Gospel According to St. Matthew. Perhaps worse than that, The Son is the only one of the five I really wholeheartedly love; I love some episodes of The Decalogue, I admire the heck out of Ordet, St. Matthew's fine, and, um, I think I gave Babette's Feast a 1 or 2.

Anyway, uh, share.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I just knew somebody was going to have to ask this question. Couldn't leave well enough alone, could ya?

17... and that's way, way down from the 42 on the last published list.

However, quite a few that I haven't seen are on my Movie Calender list, and will eventually be seen when I am able to commit the time to begin that undertaking.

14. Babette's Feast is sitting on the TV stand right now. I'll get to it sometime next week.

I've seen 65 of them. And I'll soon update my Netflix queue with all of the others that are available.

45.5 - I had to send "M" back because of crappy unreadable subtitles. Not bad considering how much the list has changed. Though last time I had seen 47 when it was published, and somewhere over 50 by the time it expired.

Matt

Babette's Feast

Stalker

3 Colors

Magnolia

Punch Drunk Love

The New World

Crimes and Misdemeanors

It's a Wonderful Life

The Son

Heartbeat Detector

Wings of Desire

Edited by Cunningham

I've seen:

4. Passion of Joan of Arc, The ("La Passion de Jeanne D'arc"), 1928 Carl Theodor Dreyer

12. Wings of Desire ("Der Himmel über Berlin”), 1987, Wim Wenders

27. Child, The ("L'Enfant"), 2005, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne

28. Bicycle Thief, The (“Ladri di biciclette”), 1948, Vittorio De Sica

45. It's a Wonderful Life, 1946, Frank Capra

46. M, 1931, Fritz Lang

58. Magnolia, 1999, Paul Thomas Anderson

69. Chariots of Fire, 1982, Hugh Hudson

85. Punch-Drunk Love, 2002, Paul Thomas Anderson

96. New World, The, 2005, Terrence Malick

45.5 - I had to send "M" back because of crappy unreadable subtitles. Not bad considering how much the list has changed. Though last time I had seen 47 when it was published, and somewhere over 50 by the time it expired.

Matt

FWIW, you can download the full movie from the Internet Archive.

[link]

Oh, and for me: I have seen 33, and 20 of the top 50. Many of those 33 I know I will never need to see again... Derzu Uzala comes to mind in this category.

Edited by David Smedberg

8 of the top 10 (haven't seen Sunrise or Early Summer [i don't think ... sometimes I get my Ozus mixed up]). 18 of the top 25, 29 of the top 50.

Edited by SDG

I would have guessed that Darren would shame us all. :) I wonder how many Doug Cummings has seen.

Edited by Overstreet

I've seen 23 of the top 25, and 70 overall. I think I'm one of the younger posters here, too, which clearly means I need to go outside more. eek.gif

There are a few others that I saw a long time ago and didn't count, like Chariots of Fire, but, honestly, I feel a little shamed by the canonical films I haven't seen, including three of the top 20: Babette's Feast, Wings of Desire (saw the first half 7 or 8 years ago), and The Burmese Harp (no excuse now that it's on Criterion). I'm also behind the curve on a lot of perennial A&F favorites like Into Great Silence (had a ticket for it at TIFF years ago but skipped it at the last minute), The Apostle, A Man for All Seasons, Tender Mercies, Becket, The Return, and Breaking the Waves (yes, really -- I've only seen bits and pieces of Breaking the Waves).

Less than I thought, I've seen 53.

1-8, 11-13, 15, 22, 27, 29, 32-35,

I gave up on 36 AND 37 (hate 'em both),

38, 39, 42, 44, 45,

46 too long ago maybe to count but I am,

49, 50, 52, 53,

55 is reeeeally long and I probably saw it through the back of my eyelids, UGH!

56-60

66-68

82-86

90, 91, 95, 96

who's the guy that keeps voting for Tati? whatadoofus

98 and 99

Got some viewing to do over the next year...

I've seen 51 overall.

7 in the top ten (I still haven't seen The Decalogue, Babette's Feast, or Early Summer. They're in my Netflix queue now), and 29 in the top 50.

IMDB shows Francesco, giullare di Dio as 75 minutes. LOL HAHAHAHAH!

Well it felt long anyway..

The Passion of Joan of Arc and The Son are available to watch instantly on Netflix right now.

So adding those would bring my total up to......ten. Shameful! ::blushing::

Of the top 15, only missed Sunrise and Early Summer. After that things get more spotty.

I've seen about 55 or so. Apart from several classics I haven't seen (The Apu Trilogy, The Burmese Harp, Song of Bernadette & others), my major gap is in recent films like After Life, Still Life, Frisbee: The Life and Death of a Hippie Preacher, and a number of others without life in the title.

85 for me. All of the top 10, 18 of the top 20 and 45 of the top 50.

Top 5 to see: Floating Weeds, Burmese Harp, Summer, Meshes in the Afternoon, and In Praise of Love

Joan d'Arc

Andrei Rublev (I'm told that the version I have has inferior subtitles)

Wings of Desire

The Seventh Seal

It's a wonderful life

Bernadette

John, there's a documentary, In the Mirror of Maya Deren, that's worth watching along with Meshes in the Afternoon. Meshes is available from Netflix streaming, by the way.

I've seen 45 out of the 100, and 11 out of the top 20. I've seen a dozen or so at the Flickerings festivals at Cornerstone over the years, and Netflix has been a big help as well. Still there's quite a number to see.