Peter T Chattaway

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

The title revealed: The Dark Knight Rises.

Hm. Sounds ... triumphant? Possibly a more overtly heroic finale moving beyond the nihilism of The Dark Knight? Gosh, I hope so. If Nolan can pull that off, I'll love The Dark Knight even more. A triumphant third chapter is what this saga really, really needs.

Come to think of it, the title does put one in mind of the whole "Why do we fall?" exchange in Batman Begins. If that's intentional, more power to Nolan. Still, the title strikes me as clunky (even with its obvious nod to The Dark Knight Returns).

I'm mildly miffed by the fact that two films in this trilogy have almost identical titles, while the first film (also one of the lower-grossing Batman films) is being left out in the cold. "One of these things is not like the other..."

Not that The Caped Crusader or The World's Greatest Detective would have been particularly more compelling titles, mind you ...

Hm. Sounds ... triumphant? Possibly a more overtly heroic finale moving beyond the nihilism of The Dark Knight? Gosh, I hope so. If Nolan can pull that off, I'll love The Dark Knight even more. A triumphant third chapter is what this saga really, really needs.

I don't think THE DARK KNIGHT can be properly understood as "nihilistic." And Nolan's very, very far from nihilism himself, and in interviews, he's quite adamant that his take on Batman is very optimistic. So, yeah, I'd count on this film being somewhat triumphant.

Lame title, though. No pizzaz. Surely Nolan could have come up with something with a better ring.

So: No Riddler, no Mr. Freeze.

Tom Hardy is in, but may or may not be the villain. He could pull off Black Mask or (my personal wish) Hush. I think he could also play a young Liam Neeson, so we could have a post Lazarus-Pit Ra's Al Ghul. Which would fit in with the fact that:

Nolan's auditioning women for an undisclosed role. This could be Talia Al Ghul to play as the new love interest, or of course Catwoman.

I'm excited to see where this goes So many available directions.

Talia al Ghul would certainly bring this set of films full circle, and given Nolan's comments about this film being about resolving what has come before rather than exploring new territory, I wouldn't be surprised if she features.

Scholar's Parrot wrote:

: He could pull off Black Mask or (my personal wish) Hush.

Wow, I have No Idea who these people are.

: I think he could also play a young Liam Neeson, so we could have a post Lazarus-Pit Ra's Al Ghul.

I would be very surprised if Nolan's universe allowed for supernatural devices such as the Lazarus Pit.

Ryan H. wrote:

: Talia al Ghul would certainly bring this set of films full circle, and given Nolan's comments about this film being about resolving what has come before rather than exploring new territory, I wouldn't be surprised if she features.

Maybe. I dunno, though. The Dark Knight pretty much ignored Batman Begins on a number of levels, and trotting out The Third-Movie Relative That You Never Knew The First-Movie Villain Had just feels a little too Die Hard with a Vengeance; for that matter, trotting out The Accomplice That You Never Knew The Bad Guy Who Created You Had feels a little too Spider-Man 3, too.

I don't think THE DARK KNIGHT can be properly understood as "nihilistic." And Nolan's very, very far from nihilism himself, and in interviews, he's quite adamant that his take on Batman is very optimistic. So, yeah, I'd count on this film being somewhat triumphant.

SDG made it pretty clear in his review that he doesn't think the film is "nihilistic" either. I think what he was saying was that he would like the film to expand beyond the themes of nihilism in "The Dark Knight" and allow Batman to achieve an even grander level of heroism! Do you think Nolan can pull it off?

Edited by Benchwarmer

I think what he was saying was that he would like the film to expand beyond the themes of nihilism in "The Dark Knight" and allow Batman to achieve an even grander level of heroism! Do you think Nolan can pull it off?

I'm not sure. I'd like to think that Nolan and company have concocted a rousing, triumphant finale that brings Nolan's take on the Batman legend to a perfect ending, but it's not an easy task.

I am just disappointed the title is not Dark Knight With a Vengeance.

I think what he was saying was that he would like the film to expand beyond the themes of nihilism in "The Dark Knight" and allow Batman to achieve an even grander level of heroism! Do you think Nolan can pull it off?

I'm not sure. I'd like to think that Nolan and company have concocted a rousing, triumphant finale that brings Nolan's take on the Batman legend to a perfect ending, but it's not an easy task.

Oh, but I REALLY want them to pull it off! I need closure!

Or Dark Knight 2: Dark Nighter. Er...Darker Night?

Long Day's Journey into the Dark Knight of the Soul.

I see someone's not up on their Bruce Willis action flicks.

The Last Dark Scout.

lol...

lol...

The Dark Knight Who Says Ni... which opens up the possibility for a fourth film - The Dark Knight Who Says Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Chris Nolan To Meet Actresses For Batman 3

EXCLUSIVE: Chris Nolan is lining up actresses he'll meet for two female lead roles in The Dark Knight Rises, the third installment of the Batfranchise which Warner Bros has dated release on July 20, 2012. I'm told one of the roles is a love interest for Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, and the other is a villain. The actresses are: Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway and Keira Knightley. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 11

Batman News says Tom Hardy will play Dr. Hugo Strange. Total Film says this rumour, if true, would confirm their prediction that this movie will be based in some way on a graphic novel called Prey.

... Wait a minute, Prey was issues #11-15 of Legends of the Dark Knight (published between late 1990 and early 1991) before it was collected as a graphic novel. I probably have those issues in a box somewhere here. Hmmm.

Heath Ledger to Feature in New Batman Movie?

Sources say Inception director Christopher Nolan is planning to use unseen footage from Ledger’s Dark Knight performance as the Joker in his upcoming Dark Knight Rises.

[...]

“The idea is to use these fragments of cut scenes and use CGI to have The Joker appear one last time,” reveals a movie insider.

I'm betting this rumor is way off-base. Nolan has seemed very touchy when Ledger has been brought up in the past, very concerned about being respectful, and I doubt he'd do something as tacky as this.

Christopher Nolan on his 'last' Batman movie, an 'Inception' videogame, and that spinning top

Christian Bale recently disclosed that he’s approaching his third Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises, as if it will be his last time playing the caped crusader on the big screen — and the film’s director, Christopher Nolan, is taking the same view. In an interview with EW, Nolan called The Dark Knight Rises “the last chapter of our Batman saga.” When the helmer was asked if any part of him wished he was tackling another original script instead of another Batman sequel in the wake of Inception’s blockbuster grosses (over $820 million worldwide) and Oscar buzz, Nolan replied: “No, it’s exactly the opposite. I feel very glad that I’m doing another Batman film. I think it would have been daunting to sit down and write an original script after Inception. I love working within the realm and rules of our Batman world. It’s kind of nice to have someplace to go that I’m super-excited about.” He added that Inception’s success allows him to tackle another Batman without any sense of needing to prove himself: “I must say that I’m glad — I’m very, very glad — to be embarking on the last chapter of our Batman saga without any sense of obligation or duty to the studio. They did very well with Inception. So I’m able to go into finishing our story in a very enthusiastic way.” . . .

Entertainment Weekly, November 30