Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wolfe

Top 100 Blurbs -- WE'RE NEARLY THERE!

If nobody blurbs those films, can we leave them out? :D

That's just how eye roll.

I own By Brakhage and Cries and Whispers. I can do them within ten days.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

From the first day of blurb requests I was hoping you would be the one to write Cries and Whispers.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

From the first day of blurb requests I was hoping you would be the one to write Cries and Whispers.

I hesitate for any of this. It's like writing about Hitchcock. All the good words have been said. However, they'll edit it and put all the big words in, then I'll copy and paste it at my blog and look all smurt

I hesitate for any of this. It's like writing about Hitchcock. All the good words have been said. However, they'll edit it and put all the big words in, then I'll copy and paste it at my blog and look all smurt

"Smurt"? I think that's "smert" (Duh)

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Persona wrote:

: I hesitate for any of this. It's like writing about Hitchcock.

Oh man. I had to write an 1800-word article on Hitchcock a few years ago, and it took me forever because there was so much to say and I wasn't sure how to compress it all. And then, not too long ago, I had to compress my summary of Hitchcock's life, career and approach to faith down to only 800 words or so. Painful.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Which is why even though I'm on my third and fourth Hitchcock in the past 6-8 weeks, I don't write much. Cuz it's all been said already, and by people better than me. Although I know you love it when I resurrect old threads and I'm all like, "Wow! I really loved this film." And that's about it. Because, you know, it's all about me. (So poop on everyone else.)

You're going to have a hard time finding someone to blurb The Cyclist. It made the rounds with many of us on video years ago and is not available for viewing in any form I know of. We should drag Flickerhead back for that one, I think he's got a copy somewhere in that large room with all the CS Lewis books.

You're going to have a hard time finding someone to blurb The Cyclist. It made the rounds with many of us on video years ago and is not available for viewing in any form I know of. We should drag Flickerhead back for that one, I think he's got a copy somewhere in that large room with all the CS Lewis books.

FWIW The Cyclist is available on ebay on DVD and VHS (NTSC). I'd get it myself but the postage to the UK is about a tenner.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

It's available on Netflix.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Wow. I guess it is. Well, I just took two others. Somebody else had to have voted for it. I don't carry that much weight.

Edited by Persona

Dearest and Most Talented A&F Community:

Such is the abundance of brilliance, wisdom, and generosity among you that I have little doubt that THE LAST THREE blurbs for the Top 100 list will SOON be written.

The FINAL THREE:

Breaking the Waves

The Cyclist (Bicycleran)

Summer/The Green Ray

Yours Greatest Admirer,

GW

Hey, Jeff, I'll trade you my two for your one, Whaddyasay.

I got Brakhage and Cries and Whispers. I'll tell you what. You just do the writing and then I'll take the credit for it.

I'll start on Cries and Whispers and we'll see what he says. He looks, sometimes. (shhhh!)

Darren, that's why I was holding off on the Brakhage blurb I was supposed to write for this list. With things like 23rd Psalm Branch and Machine of Eden on there, it seemed more fitting. But those discs contain an avalanche of stuff. Godspeed.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter