Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Lucky Life (2010)

65 posts in this topic

Hulu is not a good format for something like this. Kickstarter: Lucky Life.

I'd be interested. Hulu is no good for Canadians.

Hulu is especially damaging to this film in the way it chops it up with advertisements. The ads are often very poorly timed, with no sense of respect for the film's rhythm and, I think, even cutting off parts of scenes altogether. The editing in Lucky Life is so graceful that the Hulu format amputates one of the film's strengths.

Christian, about your comment on the line readings being amateurish, I imagine you're referring to the way the main male actor speaks. His words do come out in a monotone at times, and there is at least one moment that sounds like clunky improv ("You don't like your bed, do you?" Main actor: "I don't like it...that much.") However, we must take into account that at least 2 of the other 3 main actors/characters are vibrant in their speech patterns (Megan McKenna and Kenyon Adams). Those 2 performances are, in fact, part of the great power of the film. These 2 provide an interesting contrast to the main character, so much so that I began to see these "monotone" line readings as more about the main character's particular means of expression than indicative of the actor's ineptitude. Moreover, I have one friend who talks exactly like this guy! Not so far from reality for me.

Spend some time with this movie. It will get to you.

Film Movement was behind the VOD and Hulu slots. They have no plans to distrubute via DVD.

The director of this lovely film let me know through twitter that a self-distribution deal of some sort is in the works. He also asked what DVD extras would be most appreciated.

A self-distrbution deal...as this film is very special to me, I'm excited about this.

As for DVD extras, perhaps something could be included about the Gerald Stern poem on which the movie is based: the history behind it, who Stern is, the significance of the poem to Chung and the reason for choosing this project.

Also regarding extras: I'm curious about something else: do the actors' real-life lives overlap with the lives of the characters in the same fascinating way they did in Munyurangabo? I recall that I learned about that overlap from some of the actors' biographies on the Munyurangabo DVD. That film cut even deeper for me when I learned about these correlations to the actors' lives. By the way, Munyurangabo is in my overall top 10 list of movies closest to my heart.

Vimeo:

This film is offered direct from the filmmakers: $3.99 to download or stream for one year. Non commercial films such as these often make no money back. This small contribution can help us offset our production costs.

Also includes a behind the scenes feature and Chung's 2003 short film Highway.

$3.99 to stream for a *year*! Definitely beats the 30-day deadline on Google Play downloads. (But watch me forget to watch this film just like I've forgotten to watch a few of my Google Play downloads, anyway.)

Bump. For no reason other than because I rewatched Lucky Life last night for a project I'm working on, and it's even better than I remembered.

Can't wait to attend Lee Isaac Chung's week-long film seminar at this summer's Glen Workshop. I hope he shares this film there.

Interesting. His seminar "will take us from village meetings in Western Africa to immigrant homes in Lisbon." I'd like to imagine it will be an entire week of Pedro Costa films!

Since some of you may see the director himself very soon, could you please share details about current or future DVD availability for Lucky Life?  Would love to have this in my home collection.

Brian, you can download a digital copy for $5 from Vimeo and burn a hard copy. If there hasn't been a DVD release yet, I can't imagine there ever will be.

Awesome.  "Be the first to rate this movie."  Tried to give it 5 stars, but sadly it didn't take. :) Maybe I actually need to watch it on Amazon first, which sounds like a fine idea.