Sign in to follow this  

Gospel of John DVD

Clint M   

Well, with the copies I've seen around the stores here for eighty bucks, I don't think it will be a quick departure from the shelfs.

MattPage   

Yeah I feared this was goin to happen when I heard Visual Bible was having financial trouble (again) I'm glad I got mine when I did (and that someone tipped me off as to how to get it [ebay US why didn't i think of that])

Phew

Matt

Clint M   

$80?!? That's a bit much. Is that a Bible-Belt markup, I wonder?

I don't know. I do live in a city that's on the edge of the Bible Belt. Even discounted chain stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City are selling it for that price.

I'm not sure why anyone would say it's 'out of print'. The Gospel of John will be sold for years to come. Maybe someone was temporarily out of stock, or perhaps they wanted to create urgency in the buyer's mind.

Quoting from the most recent financials from Visual Bible (official SEC filings, April 23, 2004):

Last month, the Company began its retail and rental sales initiatives for the DVD/Video Units of The Book of John, and as of the date hereof, it has generated in excess of $5,000,000 in sales. If sales of the production of The Book of John meet budgeted expectations within the next few months, the Company believes that its financial position will be significantly better...

The ability of the Company to continue as a going concern is dependent upon, among other things, continued sales of DVD/Video Units of The Book of John and the receipt of additional capital. The Company believes that if its sales of the Book of John meet or exceed budgeted expectations, and provided the Company receives proceeds from the sale of its common stock in an amount of at least $400,000 ($350,000 of which has been received by the Company as described below), then the Company will, within the next three months, have sufficient capital to pay its debts as they become due for at least the next twelve months. If sales do not meet or exceed budgeted expectations and if the Company is, otherwise, unable to obtain additional capital, the Company will certainly be in default under the Second Forbearance Agreement and may be forced to cease its operations.

tw

The price does seem high, I realize, but it IS less than the original SRP for Matthew and Acts, both of which sold in the hundreds of thousands of units.