Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Cinderella (2015)

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Enchanted 2 (in development), Alice in Wonderland (2010) and Maleficent (in development, based on the Sleeping Beauty villain).

- - -

Disney Pays Seven-Figures For Aline Brosh McKenna's Live-Action 'Cinderella' Pitch
EXCLUSIVE: After Disney’s new version Alice in Wonderland turned in a 3D record breaking opening weekend of $116 million and became a global juggernaut, there has been a resurgence of movie interest in timeless classics. . . . Now Disney has made a 7-figure pitch deal for Cinderella, the working title of a live action reimagining of the classic fairy tale to be written by Aline Brosh McKenna. She’s the scribe behind The Devil Wears Prada and 27 Dresses, and the upcoming Paramount comedy Morning Glory, and We Bought a Zoo, the Fox comedy which Cameron Crowe will direct. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, May 17

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

And as the evil stepmother... Cate Blanchett?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Saoirse Ronan is one of three actresses being considered for the part of Cinderella herself.

To be directed by... Kenneth Branagh?

Emma Watson Trying on Glass Slipper for Disney’s ‘Cinderella’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Disney would like to slip the glass slipper onto Emma Watson as the star of “Cinderella.”

While the actress does not yet have the role, Watson is in very early talks with the studio to play the character in the live action adaptation that Kenneth Branagh will direct. Cate Blanchett will play the wicked stepmother. . . .

Variety, February 28

Helena Bonham Carter to play the Fairy Godmother. So, if I'm not mistaken, this would mark the first time Kenneth Branagh has directed her since Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994), yes? ... Oh, wait, they also co-starred in The Theory of Flight (1998), which was one of the first films directed by Paul Greengrass (United 93, two Bourne films, etc.). I hadn't realized they were together that long.

(True fact: I interviewed Bonham Carter for the campus newspaper in 1995, and Branagh in 1997.)

In theory, I am not opposed to new live-action takes on these fairy tales and stories, but I must say that Disney's new MO of remaking their animated classics reeks of creative bankruptcy.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

This thread has already included news that Lily James is Cinderella, Cate Blanchett is the evil stepmother and Helena Bonham Carter is the fairy godmother.

Other subsequent news has revealed that Richard Madden (Rob Stark) is the prince, Stellan Skarsgard is the arch-duke and Derek Jacobi is the king.

To be directed by... Kenneth Branagh?

So I only just recently saw Branagh's 2006 film version of The Magic Flute.  His take on it possessed a charm and/or magical realism that his more recent directing efforts like Thor and Jack Ryan sorely lacked.  In fact, there was nothing particular about either of the last two films that he directed that even gave any indication that Branagh was the director at all.  That shouldn't be a problem with franchise films (it has not proven to be with Alfonso Cuarón, Michael Apted or Sam Mendes, to give a few examples), but it makes you wonder how many decisions were made by the producers rather than by Branagh.  I say this only because The Magic Flute reminded me of how Branagh can be very creative and eccentric in his own way, and it's something I think he has already proved with As You Like It, Love's Labour's Lost and his other Shakespeare films.

If Branagh is really directing this, unlike how he has "directed" his last couple films, then I think Cinderella could turn out to be a very pleasant surprise.

As I said on Facebook, I'm mildly surprised that there's no "dark" version of a classic Disney song in that trailer, a la 'Once Upon a Dream' in the trailer for Maleficent or 'I've Got No Strings' in the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer.

Is it actually possible they're making a non-ironic princess movie?

I'm all in favor of non-irony and fairy-tale beauty rather than gritty darkness. I do wonder, watching this trailer, whether it has anything new to say, and how the conceit of Cinderella and the Prince falling in love so quickly will play in this post–Frozen/Maleficent world.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

And a featurette.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Apparently this is getting an IMAX release. Is it safe to assume there'll be action sequences?

In addition to the clips below, Entertainment Weekly has a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8JTdPmk_0 Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Just came back from an early free screening tonight. 

Wonderfully shot and scored, with great direction by Branagh.

Might be the best live action Disney fairy-tale film yet.

I had some problems with the story though.

Feel free to ask me questions about the film.

I'll leave a couple excerpts from my letterboxd review:

The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous, with sweeping shots of the wonderful Buckinghamshire landscape, and the natural film look along with the excellent costumes really make Cinderella a feast for the eyes. The casting is excellent also, with the standouts being Cate Blanchett hamming it up as the villainous stepmother, and the luminous Lily James delightfully portraying Cinderella. Helena Bonham Carter plays the same slightly off character like she always does, this time as the fairy godmother, but of course she does the character justice.
The problem with Cinderella is that the sum of its parts, are quite frankly, only visually and auditory. The story is simply and safely told, with no chances taken, and the viewer can tell exactly when and what will happen. I suppose this is good in a way, but personally I would have appreciated something more daring.

Full review