Sign in to follow this  
Mike D.

Podcast Recommendations?

Official web site: Archive 81

Summary from the Reddit page:

Archive 81 is a found footage horror podcast in which a lone archivist investigates a tape library, and is exposed to horrors from beyond time and space.

I've been listening to Omnibus regularly, and it's jumped to the top of my "favorites" list. 

From the website:

Twice a week, Ken and John add a new entry to the OMNIBUS, an encyclopedic reference work of strange-but-true stories that they are compiling as a time capsule for future generations.

I think what makes this a tad different from other "wow, crazy history/facts!"-type shows (which the How Stuff Works network seems to thrive on) is the hosts. Ken and John are Ken Jennings, of Jeopardy! fame, and John Roderick, the frontman of the band The Long Winters. They've been friends for a long time, and their banter is wonderful. If you're looking for an episode to start with, I'd recommend the one detailing the history of Milli Vanilli.

Pete Holmes (comedian & creator/star of Crashing on HBO) is an acquired taste. He's goofy and laughs too loudly at his own jokes and interrupts his guests constantly, but I really enjoy his podcast, You Made it Weird. The episodes are long (usually two hours), which allows for a lot of diversions and surprising revelations from guests you might have heard interviewed a dozen times before. Holmes was raised in the church, went to Gordon College on a track to become a pastor, and then gradually drifted away from religion. But he's a devoted, obsessive seeker, and every episode of his podcast is designed to eventually work its way to questions of belief and meaning. He's especially good, I think, when talking with name-brand Christians like Rob Bell or his latest guest, Kent Dobson. David Bazan is predictably great too.

Edited by Darren H