Peter T Chattaway

Toy Story 4

SDG wrote:

: We really don't know what would have happened with that film had it been under Lasseter's auspices from the start.

Given how Bolt came across like a rip-off (albeit a rather engaging/amusing one) of the first two Toy Story movies, it would certainly be interesting to know just how much of that was Lasseter's idea and how much of it was there from the beginning.

: Now you're picking nits on the backs of nits.

Nope, just stating/clarifying my intentions re: the mentioning of one film and not the others. You told me not to mention the other ones, and I replied by saying that I never would have mentioned them anyway. (The fact that I ended the first comment with a smile, and the follow-up with a wink, should also tell you something about the nature of my remarks. As you say, "I'm sure if you try...")

SDG   
: Now you're picking nits on the backs of nits.

Nope, just stating/clarifying my intentions re: the mentioning of one film and not the others.

Understood. But my original point -- the point you cross-examined by bringing up The Brave Little Toaster -- had to do with the formally non-adapted nature of Pixar's films versus How to Train Your Dragon, not the specific nature of the source material, i.e., the fact that I happened to specify that How to Train Your Dragon was based on a children's book series.

Having said that, I was going to object that The Brave Little Toaster isn't a children's book series anyway ... but what do you know, it is. At least, there's a novel and a sequel.

Having said that, Toy Story 3 seems to follow the plot of the animated Disney Toaster adaptation rather than the original novel, so perhaps there is no "children's book" inspiration (series or otherwise) there at all. In which case you would be hoist on your own petard, sir!

*whew* Talking about animation shouldn't have to be such hard work. ::surrender::

Edited by SDG

*whew* Talking about animation shouldn't have to be such hard work. ::surrender::

When I debate/argue with Peter, I feel like a sprinter competing against a distance runner in a marathon. I know from experience that I'll drop from exhaustion before he will, but do sometimes let myself get suckered into it anyway.

SDG wrote:

: *whew* Talking about animation shouldn't have to be such hard work. ::surrender::

So much effort put into rebutting my little jokes. I'm impressed. :)

bowen wrote:

: I know from experience that I'll drop from exhaustion before he will . . .

Oh, heck, SDG has me beat here, big time. Why else do you think I downshifted to little-joke mode?

FYI — I don't want to be understood as being mean to you Peter. If I am drawn into arguments/debates with you, it is because you make interesting statements about interesting subjects. I just haven't found a subject yet where my enthusiasm outlasts yours.

smile.gif

SDG   
Oh, heck, SDG has me beat here, big time. Why else do you think I downshifted to little-joke mode?

I will cherish this admission like a tooth pulled from a dragon's mouth. ::w00t::

Several sites are reporting that the next Toy Story short will be called Small Fry. And unlike all the previous Pixar shorts, which played before Pixar films, the new one will play before The Muppets.

Buzz Lightyear and 'Toy Story' gang return for 'Small Fry'

Buzz Lightyear, get ready to get punk'd.

The famous Toy Story space explorer gets replaced by a pint-sized impostor in the Pixar short Small Fry, released in theaters Nov. 23 with The Muppets.

Blame it all on toy envy as a Happy Meal-type toy at a fast-food restaurant yearns to break out of his display case to play like a real toy. He kidnaps Buzz Lightyear in an attempt to take over his play-filled existence.

"It's like the Prince and the Pauper tale for toys," says writer/director Angus MacLane. "Except one of them happens to be 3 inches tall."

The life-reversal forces the real Buzz Lightyear, voiced by Tim Allen, to deal with a support group for discarded, unloved fast-food toys.

"These toys' existence is about being really popular before the meal and then being totally forgotten about," MacLane says. "And sometimes they don't even get played with." . . .

USA Today, November 11

Big Screen Animation (formerly known -- and still listed in my Google Reader feed as -- The Pixar Blog):

Toy Story Toon 'Small Fry' a Big Disappointment

That's a pretty shocking headline, am I right? Sadly it's true, at least for me.
Small Fry
is no
Hawaiian Vacation
or
Air Mater

My main problem with the Angus MacLane-directed short is that it feels like a rehash of the same issues of toy abandonment that packed a real emotional punch in the trilogy. . . .

Small Fry
’s best moment is its end credits—and not because it was over. Without giving it away, the design of the titles is top notch and just a bit unexpected. (They were created by Pixar's resident text and titles expert Susan Bradley.) . . .

Absolutely agreed about those end credits.

Big Screen Animation (formerly known -- and still listed in my Google Reader feed as -- The Pixar Blog):

Toy Story Toon 'Small Fry' a Big Disappointment

That's a pretty shocking headline, am I right? Sadly it's true, at least for me.
Small Fry
is no
Hawaiian Vacation
or
Air Mater

My main problem with the Angus MacLane-directed short is that it feels like a rehash of the same issues of toy abandonment that packed a real emotional punch in the trilogy. . . .

Small Fry
’s best moment is its end credits—and not because it was over. Without giving it away, the design of the titles is top notch and just a bit unexpected. (They were created by Pixar's resident text and titles expert Susan Bradley.) . . .

Absolutely agreed about those end credits.

What surprised me most about this post was the crazy idea that somebody may have actually thought highly of Hawaiian Vacation, which to me was the absolute worst Pixar short film lead-in that I'd seen. An incredible let down from shorts like Partly Cloudy or Day and Night. I had to go back and see what Mike Bastoli wrote about Hawaiian Vacation....

Let’s just say 'Vacation' reaches a level of hilarity we haven't seen in a Pixar short before. It's all gas and no brakes on the gags, all the way through. That's a good thing here, because the comic timing is spot on.

I definitely did not come away with the same experience. I thought the comic timing was poor, and that the main problem was the fact that it was "all gas and no brakes on the gags." Because what this muscled out was the heart of earlier shorts.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

The new 'Toy Story Toon' that plays before Finding Nemo 3D is *hilarious*. Loved it, much more than the other ones that have come out so far. (And the climax did make my son laugh out loud.)

Rushmore   

The new 'Toy Story Toon' that plays before Finding Nemo 3D is *hilarious*. Loved it, much more than the other ones that have come out so far. (And the climax did make my son laugh out loud.)

Very glad and relieved to hear it. I'd still like to see Pixar get away from Toy Story shorts, though.

Tyler wrote:

: Drew McWeeny's dismantling of today's Toy Story 4 rumors is worth reading, particularly for his plea against internet insta-reporting.

I hadn't even *heard* about today's rumours until Drew dismantled them. I must be reading the wrong news feeds. Or maybe the right ones, come to think of it.

Incidentally, I chuckled when I got to this bit:

For both "Toy Story 2" and "Toy Story 3," there were scripts developed that were thrown out because they didn't feel like they were ready to go into production. They will dismantle a film mid-stream if they feel like it's not working, and until they know they've got the movie they want to make, they don't set dates and make major announcements.

Actually, in the case of Toy Story 2, the release date was already set in stone and they scrapped the film and did a page-one rewrite *less than a year* before the film had to be finished. And I'm not sure Toy Story 3 really applies here, because the original script was developed by Disney *without* Pixar.

And then there is the cancellation of Newt (which had a release date of "Summer 2011" before it was cancelled and Cars 2, originally set for "Summer 2012", was moved into its spot with a new director etc.), etc., etc.

Pixar Have At Least One Unannounced Sequel In The Works – But What Is It?

Yahoo have very kindly transcribed a Disney stockholders conference call from a couple-few days back. There’s not a lot of note to those without a vested interest, but let me clip the bit that caught my eye. Here’s Bob Iger, their CEO:

On the animation front, Pixar continues to create great value for our company too. We are very excited about
Monsters University
which opens next month. Pixar’s slate of films for the next five years includes fantastic original stories as well as some great sequels to their previous hits. And as we recently announced, we are in production on one of those sequels,
Finding Dory
, featuring Ellen DeGeneres once again as the voice of Dory, one of the most beloved characters from
Finding Nemo
which was one of the most popular and profitable movies to date.

Planes isn’t a Pixar film and the only officially announced Pixar sequels are Monsters University and Finding Dory, so what else is Iger talking about?

Toy Story 4, at least. I’m in no doubt that one’s coming. I think Cars 3 is inevitable at some point too, but it’s not necessarily imminent. . . .

Bleeding Cool, May 11

Rushmore   

To quote MacPhee in That Hideous Strength, "Man, you have the makings of a logical thinker. But the deduction's not certain." Iger might just have been talking about Monsters University and Finding Dory. "Some" sequels seems to imply more than that, but perhaps he wasn't speaking too carefully, or exaggerating a bit.

As you can see, I don't want this to be true.

Nor do I. Really, I think the three films stand as one of the best trilogies out there. And the final scenes of the film bring it to an appropriate and touching close. All three films are great, and I do not care for an attempt to continue this franchise just because...they can.

Pixar Announces Toy Story of Terror TV Special

As we head into October and Halloween approaches, Pixar Animation Studios is terrified to announce a very scary TV special in the works for next year's Halloween season. In 2013, prepare yourselves for Toy Story of Terror, in which Pixar will take you on a trip to infinity, from the beyond!

What starts out as a fun road trip for the Toy Story gang takes an unexpected turn for the worse when the trip detours to a roadside motel. After one of the toys goes missing, the others find themselves caught up in a mysterious sequence of events that must be solved before they all suffer the same fate in this Toy Story of Terror. . . .

Animation World Network, October 7, 2012

Exclusive: ABC to Air Toy Story Special in October

Toy Story lives on!

In October, ABC will air Toy Story of Terror, a 30-minute special that reunites the original voice cast from the Toy Story franchise, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively.

From Pixar, Toy Story of Terror follows the adventures of the toys post-Toy Story 3, in which a fun road trip takes a very unexpected turn. "Bonnie is on a road trip to go see grandma with her mom and the toys are in the trunk," producer Galyn Susman says. "Mom gets a flat tire and they have to spend the night at a motel and all kinds of chaos ensues." . . .

TV Guide, May 14, 2013