Peter T Chattaway

Toy Story 4

No, no, no, please - wait, who's John Lassiter?

In their rush to share the news, Deadline misspelled his name, which I cut and pasted. They've fixed it now.

Funny. I can remember how Deadline once reported that Lasseter was taking part in an Obama fundraiser at Will Smith's house, and it turned out they meant Lassiter. Now they're making that mistake in the *other* direction!

NBooth   
"We only make sequels when we have a story that's as good as or better than the original...."

That is literally what they all say, right? Actors insist they won't revisit franchises unless the quality stays up, filmmakers insist they don't make the movie unless the story is right.... And what we get is Star Trek into Darkness and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (the latter of which, I maintain, is as good as the other two sequels, but which still got widely dismissed). [Granted, we also get Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, but that just underlines how very uninformative this sentence actually is]

Edited by NBooth

Everybody has a different take on this, it seems, but for me:

Glass half-full: The trilogy scores an A, an A+, and an A+ for its first three, so I'm likely to admire the fourth installment.

Glass half-empty: John Lasseter is the storyteller I trust the least in the Pixar team, and, well, Cars 2.

NBooth wrote:

: That is literally what they all say, right?

Lasseter also used to say "Quality is the best business plan." This was before he directed Cars 2.

: . . . Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (the latter of which, I maintain, is as good as the other two sequels, but which still got widely dismissed).

When I went through all four films in 2008, I found that each sequel was a step down from the film before.

Overstreet wrote:
: Glass half-full: The trilogy scores an A, an A+, and an A+ for its first three, so I'm likely to admire the fourth installment.

: Glass half-empty: John Lasseter is the storyteller I trust the least in the Pixar team, and, well, Cars 2.

And just to add further context to that analysis: the second A+ was *not* directed by Lasseter, while the first A+ was directed *fifteen years ago* -- before Pixar had become the Disney-owned sequel factory that it had become by the time Lasseter directed Cars 2.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

It's amazing that Lasseter can go on spouting all those platitudes about excellence and candor when it's pretty clear that Cars 2 -- the only film Lasseter has directed since the Disney-Pixar merger -- suffered from a lack of both.

Drew at HitFix:

I was surprised to see that Rashida Jones and Will McCormack are involved in the script. I really liked their work on "Celeste and Jesse Forever" ...

[blink]

Rashida Jones? Writing Toy Story 4?

Somehow it just did not compute when I read it in the LA Times story... I was too distracted by the absence of certain names... like Pixar's more trustworthy directors and writers.

Tyler   

Clickhole cracked it: ‘Toy Story’ Is Coming Back, And This Time Andy Is The Toy!

Toy Story 4 will not be animated, but will instead be Pixar’s first-ever live-action film. It will be set in a house where Woody the cowboy and Buzz Lightyear the astronaut, who never takes his spacesuit off, live together with their little wooden ventriloquist dummy named Andy, who the adult men play with in all their free time.

Pixar has confirmed that, although Woody and Buzz will be voiced, as always, by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, the characters will be portrayed on screen by two different middle-aged men who will mouth the words of the script so that Hanks’ and Allen’s voices can be dubbed in later.

Here’s what Lasseter had to say about the upcoming addition to the beloved Toy Story franchise:

“We’ve spent years watching Andy play with the toys, but we’ve never seen the toys play with Andy. This time around, Andy is a little wooden doll and two adult men—one dressed as a cowboy, the other wearing a space suit—play with him all day long and take him on imaginary adventures.”

NBooth   

Toy Story 4 won't be a continuation of the first three movies.

The third movie ended in a beautiful way and completed a trilogy. I think this movie is not part of this trilogy. It is a separate story, which in turn I do not know if will be continued. Never begin a project with that in mind.

John Lasseter and John Cooley will co-direct. Apparently this news was not as big as today's Frozen 2 announcement.

The last good film directed by John Lasseter was Toy Story 2, way back in the 20th century. The only other films he has directed since then are Cars and Cars 2. 'Twill be interesting to see what happens to *this* franchise now that he's put himself back in the driver's seat again.

Rushmore   

The last good film directed by John Lasseter was Toy Story 2, way back in the 20th century. The only other films he has directed since then are Cars and Cars 2. 'Twill be interesting to see what happens to *this* franchise now that he's put himself back in the driver's seat again.

The last great film he directed was Toy Story 2. I wouldn't hesitate to call Cars "good." (Still haven't seen the sequel.)

Edited by Rushmore

John Lasseter:

“It’s a love story with Woody and—and this is news—Bo Peep,” said Lasseter. “At Pixar and at Disney, we only make sequels if we come up with a story that’s as good or better than the original. That’s our rule. We don’t do things just to print money.”

I don't know *how* the man who directed Cars 2 can still go around saying things like that with a straight face and get away with it. But anyhoo.

Flashbacks aside, Bo Peep wasn't in Toy Story 3 at all -- she had been ditched by Andy's mom and/or sister before the film even began -- so I wonder how they're going to bring her back into the story. (Or is this yet another Pixar prequel? The teaser poster for the film consists of the blue-sky-and-clouds wallpaper that we saw in Andy's room in the first three films.)

Whoa. Not only was the release date bumped by a year, but today it was confirmed that John Lasseter has been bumped from the director's chair.

Cartoon Brew hinted at this almost a year ago -- on August 13 of last year -- when they posted this excerpt from an e-mail they received: "Following a harsh internal review, he has been removed as writer/director of the latest film in this beloved series. The review was brutal. He can’t write. The studio will spin it as he was stretched too thin." Cartoon Brew didn't publish the name of the director at the time, but today -- in a since-deleted tweet -- they said that the story was confirmed today. And while they *still* didn't reveal the name of the director that they had been referring to, I *have* to assume it was Lasseter, because today I got a press release from Disney which included this sentence:

"Lasseter invited Pixar’s Josh Cooley ('Riley’s First Date?' short) to the stage, revealing that Cooley has assumed full director responsibilities for 'Toy Story 4.' "

I had assumed all along that Cartoon Brew *couldn't* have been referring to Lasseter, because he is not just a mere director, he is also the guy who runs both Pixar and the main Disney studio. As my wife puts it, Lasseter is the guy who bumps *other* directors, he isn't the guy who *gets* bumped.

And yet, here we are.

This is probably all to the good. Cars 3 might be one of Pixar's lowest-grossing films (it could very well be their second-lowest grosser, ahead of only The Good Dinosaur), but it's also the first film in that franchise that Lasseter didn't direct, and it is *also* the first film in that franchise that I actually liked (it was neither offensively sentimental like the first film nor aggressively stupid like the second film). Lasseter hasn't directed a non-Cars film since Toy Story 2, way back in the previous century, and whatever mojo he once had as a filmmaker is evidently gone, gone, gone.

The question now is whether Josh Cooley, who has only two short films to his name, can make a film that will live up to the high standard set by the earlier Toy Story movies.