Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Town

I think I came out of Inception as excited about this as anything in Inception.

Looks like Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone may not have been a fluke. This trailer is very, very promising. Here's hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHh3lE8fuys

Edited by Overstreet

My wife was surprised by this trailer, because she said the description of the film that she'd read online -- a hostage falling for her kidnapper -- had made it sound like a romantic comedy. (Who knows, maybe it is, and the trailer is deceiving us!)

Speaking of "spoilers", I am intrigued by the way the trailer for this film seems to contain/reveal one, somewhere past the mid-point, yet the movie itself doesn't make a secret of what the trailer "reveals" at all. I can't recall the last time I saw a trailer turn a non-twist into a twist like that.

Just for the record, this film had the 6th-best opening weekend of Ben Affleck's career -- and unlike the other five films, it's not an ensemble film (2009's He's Just Not That into You), based on an existing property (2003's Daredevil, 2002's The Sum of All Fears), or a Jerry Bruckheimer megaproduction (2001's Pearl Harbor, 1998's Armageddon).

Yeah, it's not bad in a conventional-thriller-with-a-few-big-contrivances kind of way. Not surprisingly, the weakest link acting-wise is Ben Affleck himself, but he gives most of his castmates some juicy scenes to play.

I have to say I'm baffled at the glowing reviews this is getting. It's currently 94% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that it was bad, I'd give it a solid B+. But I was hoping for more after how good Gone Baby Gone was. Affleck doesn't really do anything wrong as director here. The robberies are staged competently.

But he wasted several opportunities for suspense, weight, and humor. (It's going to hard to spoil anything that wasn't already given away in the trailer but consider yourself warned.) Take the moment when

Agent Frawley (Hamm) visits Clair (Rebecca Hall)to tell her "We have identified our suspects.". He shows her Doug's (Affleck's) photo, knowing that she's been seeing him. He immediately tells her he already knows she's been spending time with him.

No toying with her. No waiting to see what she'll say. That could have been a great moment but Frawley gets right to it and we're on to the next scene. It felt like the film as a whole has been shortened from a once longer, more complete text. Has anyone read the book, "Prince of Thieves", that this is based on?

Average or slightly above average shoot 'em up flick. Kind of a guys film, I guess, but I enjoy those once in a while when they're done well. This was done just well enough to be satisfying -- once. I guess in that aspect it kinda reminded me of Shooter, but I'd probably watch this again before that.

Speaking of "spoilers", I am intrigued by the way the trailer for this film seems to contain/reveal one, somewhere past the mid-point, yet the movie itself doesn't make a secret of what the trailer "reveals" at all. I can't recall the last time I saw a trailer turn a non-twist into a twist like that.

I'd be interested in knowing what the trailer spoiled, because I can't really think of anything in the film that could have been spoiled. It was about as straight forward as it gets.

I, too, am a huge fan of Gone, Baby, Gone, and have probably watched it five times now.

I'm with Persona - I thought this was a really good example of a movie of its type. Nothing extraordinary, and not nearly as affecting as GBG, but a solid flick (and Jeremy Rennert is great). I probably won't ever watch it again, though. It's not lasting in that away.

I also agree that Affleck is a much better director than he is an actor, and I hope he directs lots more movies over the course of his career, and more with the quality of source material GBG gave him.

Persona wrote:

: I'd be interested in knowing what the trailer spoiled, because I can't really think of anything in the film that could have been spoiled.

The trailer starts with Affleck and the bank manager "meeting cute" in the laundromat and doesn't "reveal" that Affleck is one of the bank robbers until fairly late in the game. In the movie, on the other hand, we know that Affleck is one of the bank robbers from the get-go, and we know EXACTLY what's going on when he meets the bank manager in the laundromat.

Saw THE TOWN recently.

It is competently filmed; Affleck’s no dummy with the camera.

I think the story could’ve used some more thought. The relationship has a bit of a rough take off at the start, and Affleck’s character in general doesn’t exactly strike me as a confident piece of writing. His disposition is always rather gray, neither here nor there in the supposed conflict that is the basis for the story. He’s missing any of that Godfathery “…they pull me back in!” punch. I think some of that has to do with Affleck’s performance, which is never cringe-worthy, but probably not as robust as this character needs it to be. Consequently, the mixture of bitter atonement and sweet redemption the conclusion serves really doesn’t have the depth of flavor it ought to.

There are worse films for sure though.

Edited by Judo Chop

Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here, but after having just seen "The Town," I feel it was superb (much more than merely competent). To me it harkened to some of the great lean and mean crime films of the 70's -- Pelham 1, 2, 3 and the like. In fact, I think Affleck's stripped down 70's aesthetic is almost considered antiquated today. The only other American director I can think of that carries on that mantle is James Gray.

I think I'm also curiously out of step on Affleck's performance which I felt was excellent. He's always struck me as slightly hambone in some of his earlier starring roles. But I think with maturity (and his helming) he pulls it off pitch-perfect here. He brings to mind Eastwood as Director/Actor in his prime. A lot has been made of Renner's great performance, but I felt Affleck actually out-shined him. For my taste, I always feel Renner is just a hair over the line into over-acting territory. He kinda reminds me of a modern Donald Pleasance in his somewhat hammy tendency to scene-chew. Maybe I'm just over-saturated on the guy. And you will be too, as he's apparently set to star in every major Hollywood role through at least 2017. smile.gif

Edited by Mark T. Ingham

I saw it in theatres; I think my friend had free passes to it. I had heard it was getting great reviews but I didn't understand all the hype it was getting after watching it. It's nothing special but it's also better than a lot of other movies Hollywood is making right now.