Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

129 posts in this topic

It's already been acknowledged in the thread for All Delighted People, but here's a thread for Sufjan's upcoming full-length album The Age of Adz.

AKR077_AoA_350.jpg

Edited by Overstreet

Link to a gallery for Royal Robertson, the artist who inspired the album's title.

Also, link to the Asthmatic Kitty page about The Age of Adz.

I would just like to say this: Sufjan Stevens is the Hipster Jesus.

Futile Devices (2:11)

Too Much (6:44)

Age of Adz (8:00)

I Walked (5:01)

Now That I'm Older (4:56)

Get Real Get Right (5:10)

Bad Communication (2:24)

Vesuvius (5:26)

All for Myself (2:55)

I Want to Be Well (6:27)

Impossible Soul (25:35)

So just shy of 75 minutes. With 1/3rd of that being the final song.

I like it... reminds me a little of Björk's Vespertine.

Jason, that comparison really got my attention and I downloaded it straightaway.

Wow. You're not kidding. I really, really like this sound... much better than the seven-layer-cake pop orchestra sound of All Delighted People. For the first time in a while, I'm really excited about Sufjan.

word on the street is that there are f-bombs and autotune!

So, he's going Joaquin Phoenix on us?

As long as he's using them out of love for Jesus, I'm fine with it.

NME has a track-by-track review, and it sounds really, um, weird.

It also sounds like there is indeed autotune galore... but only one f-bomb.

And, bizarrely, it sounds like it is bascially a breakup album... based on the out-of-context snippets of lyrics quoted by the NME writer, anyway.

I heard that single on Pitchfork and at this point I don't care if I hear it again. I told a friend when listening that "Too Much" was "electric sounding... Very weird... I don't know what to think." But really, I thought it sounded messy -- nothing like Vespertine.

Edited by Persona

On The Age of Adz, Stevens replaces delicately plucked banjo lines, wispy vocals and sentimental melodies with glitchy soundscapes, hip-hop beats and heavily filtered vocals.

Sounds like "You Are The Blood," which is fine with me.

Where does Sufjan using Autotune fall on the Apocalypse countdown? I lost my chart.

Where does Sufjan using Autotune fall on the Apocalypse countdown? I lost my chart.

Well, this IS the Age of Adz. I think if the album is named after the work of an apocalyptic schizophrenic it is expected to move us closer to the apocalypse. My guess is that it is now officially one minute to midnight.

Given that a new Sufjan Stevens album has been available for consumption for 48 hours now, and still no one at A&F has ventured even a first reaction, I think it's fair to say that there's a lot to take in here. I did notice two early reactions on Twitter, however:

Worst album of the year: The Age of Adz. Best: "Impossible Soul."

And...

Age of Adz is Sufjan's Kid A.

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with either of these statements... but give me another couple of days. :)

So far, I'm inclined to agree with the comparison to Kid A.

Given that a new Sufjan Stevens album has been available for consumption for 48 hours now, and still no one at A&F has ventured even a first reaction...

I implied it was going to herald the apocalypse. How much more reactionary can you get than that?

FWIW, I've listened to it a few more times since then, and I'm starting to like it a little more than I did at first.

I think I'm actually officially in "love it" now. I think it's just an incredibly jarring palette switch for fans at first, but now that I'm comfortable with the songs I can hear that Sufjan is still there. The autotune hits more like Daft Punk that T-pain and I'm frequently getting songs stuck in my head.

I tell you with all sincerity that I didn't even notice the autotune the first time through the album, and only noticed it the second because I was putting in an effort to hear it. That's what a gaudy mess sprawling piece of work this album is. ;)

It also sounds like there is indeed autotune galore... but only one f-bomb.

Maybe just one line, but he sings it a million times.

I like it.