Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Community

Returning October 19. AV Club:

But with Go On making its official debut on September 11 ("Could that date BE any more uncomfortable for a show about grieving?" Matthew Perry asked aloud, after we gave him a dollar), and then Animal Practice bowing on September 26—alongside the Jimmy Fallon-produced, indifferently titled Guys With Kids—you will definitely have had several weeks of asking why this stuff is on but Community isn't before your indignant pleas are answered. At least Oct. 19 suggestsCommunity could return in time for another Halloween episode—perhaps even an appropriately meta one where the Greendale gang finds itself suddenly replaced by less-weird pod people imposters. (Just a suggestion.)

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Harmon talked about what would have happened in the scene Chevy Chase walked out on.

He refused to do the "tag" for the "
" episode (the 8 bit video game episode). In the scripted tag, Abed comes to Pierce with the thumb drive he took, and says "Pierce, I've been able to adjust some of the code for your Dad's video game and I've made a version I think you might like better." He puts the thumb drive into a laptop in front of Pierce. We cut to the laptop screen, where we see Pierce's avatar on a front lawn with the giant floating head of Cornelius. Every time Pierce presses the space bar, his avatar throws a baseball to his father's head, which gives him a thousand points and a "great job, son!" Pierce presses the space bar a few times, pauses, then leans over and embraces Abed and we fade to black.

When Adam Countee pitched that tag, tears instantly rolled down my cheeks, and in point of fact, my eyes are getting watery describing it to you. It was the most important part of the episode and possibly one of the most important moments of the season. I was very upset to hear that it wasn't shot because someone didn't feel like shooting it, especially since it was literally the last day of shooting, which meant we'd never be able to pick it up. I regret nothing about how upset I got. My job was to care about my show.

The answer I heard from the people on set was that he didn't think it was funny. After he realized how upset I was about it, he said things in voicemails like "there was no script" (untrue) and "I have a weird relationship with the name Cornelius" (dumb, he had no dialogue in the tag). The real answer, I believe, is that he wanted to go home because he was tired. He probably didn't realize he was permanently damaging the episode by doing so because he often walked off set and then we would just pick up his shots later in the week. But this was the final shot of the season. The sets came down after he walked away. So this was the one time in three years that his personality caused unfixable damage to something I really held valuable.

Twitter Blog

Community was scheduled to premiere Oct 19, and now it's not. (Whitney too, but no one cares about that.)

No word on where/when it will come back now.

Lot of folks are interpreting this as a good sign, some even speculating that Community will end up back on the Thursday night line up. I'm glad they won't be stuck on Friday night.

Troy and Abed airing someday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LV7M_WeGX8

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I really feel bad for the way NBC is jerking the cast and crew of the show around like this. It tells you how they really see the show...cannot tell the show runner he is no longer the show runner...just let him find out in the press. Move the premier around a few times...it just blows.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

The Canadian network that handles this show actually announced on its website that the show would be returning in January... but then the American network revealed the February date, and the Canadian network quickly revised the date on its website. That all happened on the same day, I think, which suggests some confusion even among the higher-ups.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Chevy Chase is officially done with the show.

Either way, it has always seemed one foot was out the door already, and now it's fully closed behind him. Most of the 13 episode season has been shot, so Chase will be appearing except for the last one or two shows.

This also continues the Community tradition of making major announcements when they'll get as little press as possible.

Twitter Blog

The "Abed's happy place" levels of unreality self-conscious sitcom parody is something I could see Harmon doing, but the problem with that plot line tonight was that the real-world also felt like manic posturing of what sitcoms are supposed to be like. Last season, I would have said that was an intentional Inception-nod, where even what we thought was reality really wasn't, but this season, I just don't have that kind of faith in the show. It didn't work because they weren't sure how to do it. I feel like the Hunger Deans thing could have been an episode by itself, but none of those segments really landed, either.

Twitter Blog

I had moments of laughter, but it felt like the stuffed it full of a few episodes worth of ideas. Harmon would have definitely made the Hunger Dead bit a centerpeice of an episode.

It really felt like they knew the *type* of stuff that happens in the show Community-but had no idea on how to put the various parts together in a fashion that works.

It's certainly a bit uneven. Like everyone has said, the focus of the episode was lacking, but I still thought there were some great jokes in there. The Muppet Babies spoof was particularly great.

Hoping the show can find its way back as it continues.

Agree with Tyler and Ryan, and others, just didn't do it for me. I would have loved a story that focused more on Abed's Happy Place, and then at the end of the episode we realize that the whole episode itself was actually real life Abed daydreaming a whole scenario where he freaks out about change, but Jeff and the others help him through it.

Or an episode where Dean Pelton introduces Hunger Deans for some reason, and we see his reasons (to keep Jeff from winning so he has to stay at school longer than just one more year be revealed gradually over the episode.) the thing about Dean Pelton is his sexuality is always a bit ambiguous, and I like that about him, it's a funny plotline, but this one has him so overtly into Jeff that there's really no question...and all the crossdressing while Jeff seems so completely okay with tango dancing with him...no.

Britta and Troy openly dating. No. I like it better when the characters circle their relationships instead of completely giving in to them.

Pierce being more senile than ever - no.

I like Fred Willard, and he's a pretty funny guy, but you have to wonder...why does Abed's happy place not include the real Pierce? Does that mean Abed unconsciously really dislikes Pierce and wishes he was different. I could expect that from one of the other characters, but Abed?

it really is like they get "the ingredients" of the show, but they don't get the show

Most of the characters seem like slightly off dopplegangers of themselves.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

I like Fred Willard, and he's a pretty funny guy, but you have to wonder...why does Abed's happy place not include the real Pierce? Does that mean Abed unconsciously really dislikes Pierce and wishes he was different. I could expect that from one of the other characters, but Abed?

it really is like they get "the ingredients" of the show, but they don't get the show

Most of the characters seem like slightly off dopplegangers of themselves.

I think Fred Willard was a dig at the issues surrounding Chase and the tales of his being difficult. Chevy's been replaced! As you say, they get that those meta things are ingredients, yet they do not understand how those ingredients are mixed in.

It really felt like they knew the *type* of stuff that happens in the show Community-but had no idea on how to put the various parts together in a fashion that works.

I felt the exact same way.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I felt the exact same way.

Same here. I was really trying to give the episode a fair shake, but it felt off. The Fred Willard bit made me realize that, in some ways, it's like all of the characters have been replaced. The actors are the same, sure, but the writing is just off enough that the characters feel like a broad caricatures of what they once were.

A person on my blog summed it up as: They kind of...Britta'd it.

It's really disappointing as Community had so much promise to be the next greatest sitcom since Seinfeld.

Nothing can ever take away from the first three seasons, so take comfort in that.

Opus, Twitter, Facebook