Followers 0

2010 Critic Lists, Award Lists, MCN, etc

76 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

What a horrid list.

Posted · Report post

What a horrid list.

It's got a few ringers on it, but I agree on his #1 -- for now.

Posted · Report post

Huh. Nicely crafted as it was, I still couldn't escape the sense that most of Let Me In's highlights were carry-overs from the original, and I still much prefer it. Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

Posted · Report post

Huh. Nicely crafted as it was, I still couldn't escape the sense that most of Let Me In's highlights were carry-overs from the original, and I still much prefer it. Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

It wasn't on his 2008 or 2009 lists.

Posted · Report post

Overstreet wrote:

: Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

It didn't.

Posted · Report post

It wasn't on his 2008 or 2009 lists.

Sigh. Just as I thought.

Posted · Report post

King's Top 10 lists, including the 2010 list, have plenty of duds. That seems more relevant to discrediting King's placement of the film at number 1, if that's what you want to do, than does the fact that he didn't put the original on his 2008 list. I imagine Todd McCarthy has seen the original film, yet he names the remake as among the year's best films:

In going over my personal list of the year’s best so far, it strikes me that, to an inordinate degree, the good films were what are often called “festival films;” all but one, in fact, made their debuts at festivals, not in commercial release. In no special order, these films include “A Prophet” (shown in Cannes 2009 but not opened in the U.S. until this year), “Animal Kingdom,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Let Me In,” “Winter’s Bone,” “Enter the Void,” “The King’s Speech,” “North Face” and, a bit below those, “Blue Valentine,” “Black Swan” and “Please Give.”

Posted · Report post

Perhaps, but McCarthy's does strike me as being on the uninspiring side. That said, I haven't seen LET ME IN. I know some people loved it and others were less stirred by it. Given that I only like--not love--the original, I'm not too bothered to check it out.

Posted · Report post

FWIW, Let Me In may have just been dethroned as the year's best film for me. I'll have to see if my insta-reaction to tonight's screener holds up.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is this the thread for Awards as well as Critics' Lists?

Last year's similar thread was titled: "2009 Critic Lists, Award Lists, MCN, etc."

Whatever the case:

The National Board of Review goes for The Social Network and Of Gods and Men.

Note: LESLIE MANVILLE!

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

Is this the thread for Awards as well as Critics' Lists?

Last year's similar thread was titled: "2009 Critic Lists, Award Lists, MCN, etc."

I thought I had checked the earlier-year thread to match the title for this year's thread, but I think I blew it. I've changed the thread title to match the title of last year's thread you mentioned.

Posted · Report post

Well, this is a surprise: The International Documentary Association has given its top award to... Waste Land!

Posted · Report post

Sight & Sound's list.

Top 5:

1. The Social Network

2. Uncle Boonmee

3. Another Year

4. Carlos

5. The Arbor

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

I always find Anthony Lane fascinating to read, despite the fact that even in his top 10 lists he seems to be afraid to say he really (without reservations) liked something!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Richard Corliss, TIME, picks Toy Story 3.

Also mentions Never Let Me Go, Four Lions, and Rabbit Hole!

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

David Denby names his favorites, then concludes by mentioning a few films he couldn't stand:

The big-deal aesthetic disasters include the tiresome, flat, and repetitive “Alice in Wonderland”; the absurdly overelaborate and empty “Inception,” which is like a giant clock that displays its gears and wheels but forgets to tell the time; and “Black Swan,” an example of the higher trash, and a movie perfect, I’m afraid, for young women who never recovered from reading Sylvia Plath. “Black Swan” asks the least appealing question of the year: “Am I good enough—to die?”

Posted · Report post

Kyle Smith:

1. 127 Hours

2. Iron Man 2

3. Mademoiselle Chambon

4. My Dog Tulip

5. Another Year

6. Tamara Drewe

7. Hot Tub Time Machine

8. I Love You, Phillip Morris

9. Youth in Revolt

10. Tiny Furniture

Kyle Smith, redux (pre-NYFCC vote):

Best Picture: “127 Hours” (”Another Year”). If it comes down to “The King’s Speech” or “The Social Network,” I’ll choose the latter on grounds that it’s more interesting.

Best Actor: Robert Duvall, “Get Low.” (James Franco, “127 Hours,” Colin Firth, “The King’s Speech”)

Best Supporting Actor: Bill Murray, “Get Low.” (Matt Damon, “True Grit,” Geoffrey Rush, “The King’s Speech”)

Best Actress: Natalie Portman, “Black Swan.” (Annette Bening, “The Kids Are All Right”)

Best Supporting Actress: Lesley Manville, “Another Year” (Hailee Steinfeld, “True Grit,” Jacki Weaver, “Animal Kingdom”)

Best Screenplay: “127 Hours” (”Another Year,” “Tamara Drewe”)

Best Director: Danny Boyle, “127 Hours” (Mike Leigh, “Another Year,” David Fincher, “The Social Network”)

Best Foreign Film: “Mademoiselle Chambon” (”A Prophet”)

Best Animated Film: “My Dog Tulip” (”Tangled,” “Despicable Me”)

Best First Film: “I Love You, Phillip Morris” (”Tiny Furniture”)

Best Cinematography: “Black Swan” (”The Social Network”)

Best documentary: “Waiting for ‘Superman’” (”Exit Through the Gift Shop”)

Anne Thompson:

Best Film »

1) Winter’s Bone

2) The Kids Are All Right

3) The Social Network

4) Toy Story 3

5) Inside Job

6) Carlos

7) Let Me In

8) The King’s Speech

9) True Grit

10) The Ghost Writer

Best Lead Performance »

1) Edgar Ramirez, Carlos

2) Colin Firth, The King’s Speech

3) Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right

4) Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

5) Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network

Best Supporting Performance »

1) Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right

2) Sam Rockwell, Conviction

3) Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

4) Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

5) Marion Cotillard Inception

Best Director »

1) Debra Granik, Winter’s Bone

Best Documentary »

1) Restrepo

Best Screenplay »

1) Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network

Best First Feature »

1) Exit Through the Gift Shop

Best Undistributed Film »

1) Abel

2) Silent Souls

Toronto Film Critics Association:

The Toronto Film Critics Association confirmed it is a friend of David Fincher’s The Social Network, awarding it best picture along with four other prizes at its annual awards vote on Sunday.

The film, about how Harvard freshman Mark Zuckerberg co-founded Facebook, the Web’s most popular social networking site, also won prizes for best director for Fincher, best screenplay for Aaron Sorkin, best actor for Jesse Eisenberg and best supporting actor for Armie Hammer, who played twin brothers in the movie.

The only other film that took more than one prize from the Toronto critics was the art documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop by secretive English street artist Banksy, which won best documentary and best first feature awards.

In other major awards, Jennifer Lawrence won best actress for her performance in the U.S. independent film Winter’s Bone, in which she plays a teenager from the Missouri Ozarks who must find her missing father to save her family’s home. Newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, who stars in the Coen brothers’ True Grit as a girl who hires a U.S. marshal (Jeff Bridges) to avenge her father’s murder, took the best supporting actress honours. The film opens on Dec. 22.

Best foreign film went to this year’s Cannes Palme d’Or winner, Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. The best animated film award went to How to Train Your Dragon, in a departure from U.S. critics groups who all gave the prize to Toy Story 3.

Toronto director Daniel Cockburn was named the recipient of this year's Jay Scott Prize for emerging Canadian filmmaker for his film You Are Here. The prize is named after the renowned Globe and Mail critic who died in 1993.

The Toronto association, which consists of 43 broadcast and print journalists from the Toronto area, also announced three finalists for the $15,000 Rogers Best Canadian Feature Award: Incendies, directed by Denis Villeneuve; Splice, directed by Vincenzo Natali; and Trigger, directed by Bruce McDonald. The winner will be announced at an awards dinner on Jan. 12, along with the first Deluxe Student Film Award, which comes with $3,000 worth of postproduction services.

Posted · Report post

The Toronto International Film Festival has named its top ten Canadian movies of 2010:

Les Amours imaginaires (Heartbeats), dir. Xavier Dolan

, dir. Richard J. Lewis

Curling, dir. Denis Cote

The High Cost of Living, dir. Deborah Chow

Incendies, dir. Denis Villeneuve

Last Train Home, dir. Lixin Fan

MODRA, dir. Ingrid Veninger

, dir. Vincenzo Natali

Trigger, dir. Bruce McDonald

Trois temps apres la mort d'Anna (Mourning For Anna), dir. Catherine Martin

Posted · Report post

AV Club lists their top 15 worst movies of 2010:

15. Hot Tub Time Machine

14. Letters to Juliet

13. Multiple Sarcasms

12. The Bounty Hunter

11. Marmaduke

10. Killers

9. Flipped

8. When In Rome

7. Grown Ups

6. Finding Bliss

5. The Nutcracker in 3D

4. Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

3. Jonah Hex

2. Sex in the City 2

1. The Last Airbender

Posted · Report post

The AV Club's best films of 2010, with their film critics' personal lists:

15. The Kids Are All Right

14. Shutter Island

13. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

12. Dogtooth

11. Greenberg

10. True Grit

9. A Prophet

8. Carlos

7. Mother

6. Toy Story 3

5. Exit Through the Gift Shop

4. Inception

3. Black Swan

2. The Social Network

1. Winter's Bone

Some love for some A&F favorites, it seems, plus some really interesting choices (and commentary) on the individual lists.