Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ

Just bought Ticket to Ride (US)

38 posts in this topic

I really, really wish I had some awesome to contribute to this, but I don't.

See, it works. You hit a point where people just start to slowly. walk. away.

See, it works. You hit a point where people just start to slowly. walk. away.

Or, in my case, fabricate a story about creating a Shadowrun campaign based on Electric Company episodes.

I have more of the LHoP campaign pending. Will post regardless of interest. If you guys have suggestions re: char sheets, please submit them. All armor is staged according to half-life.

I hate to interrupt Mike's performance art, but I have to report back how much we love this game. When I asked my daughter Virginia if she wanted to do something together last night, she suggested we play "Ticket to Ride." She'd played it just once before-- last weekend-- but had a command of the game directions that was much better than mine. The application of geography here should end up being way more effective than my own past efforts in helping the kids understand what is where.

Is the Euro version just the same game with a different map?

I hate to interrupt Mike's performance art, but I have to report back how much we love this game. When I asked my daughter Virginia if she wanted to do something together last night, she suggested we play "Ticket to Ride." She'd played it just once before-- last weekend-- but had a command of the game directions that was much better than mine. The application of geography here should end up being way more effective than my own past efforts in helping the kids understand what is where.

Is the Euro version just the same game with a different map?

I know Ticket to Ride: Europe has new stuff like train stations and tunnels, and the Marklin version (I've played that one the most) has passengers (which are very tricky and devious). I don't know much about the other expansions. I know the 1910 one is supposed to be good and inexpensive.

As for the original, FINALLY got around to playing it with my wife. She liked it, but didn't like how violently competitive she became. I might have to wear a helmet next time.

My kids have the original, Europe, and Marklin versions - IMO, there's enough differences in gameplay, plus cool board and card design, to make all three worth having.

When we play Ticket to Ride: Europe, we always use the Dice Expansion - it really helps speed along what can be a very long game.

If your Ticket to Riding ever gets stale, you can always pick up the Alvin & Dexter expansion to inject some...thing into it.

From what I've read, it's not necessarily a bad expansion, just a strange one. As one board game podcaster put it, "Maybe Alan Moon needed a new car."

By the way, this thread exists. It needs some love.

Bumping this thread just because M. needs to add another installment.