Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top 25 Horror Films 2011: Writers Needed

74 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We need volunteers willing to write brief, [b]2-3 sentence [/b](NOT 2-3 paragraph) blurbs about A&F's [url="http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?showtopic=26123"]first Top 20[/url] list.

For these, we are interested less in summaries than in highlighting the brilliance and significance of the films.

For example, something like this (clipped and slightly altered from Darryl's review [url="http://artsandfaith.com/t100/punchdrunklove.html"]here[/url]): A refreshing twist on the romantic comedy, [i]Punch-Drunk Love[/i] focuses on lonely small business owner Barry (Adam Sandler) overcoming his own problems rather than relying on external plot conflict. Memorable for the bold, striking colors and lighting that fill [i]Punch-Drunk Love[/i]’s frames, and complemented by the late artist Jeremy Blake’s swirling, tie-dye like visual interludes, Anderson’s film is a true bounty of moving pictures. [i] Punch-Drunk Love[/i] is quirky and short, but it’s a complete package worth exploring more than once.

[s]1 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) [/s]
[s]2 Vampyr (1932) [/s]
[s]3 The Exorcist (1973) [/s]
[s]4 Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (1922) [/s]
[s]5 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
6 Let Me In (2010)/Let the Right One In (2008) [/s]
[s]7 Psycho (1960)[/s]
[s]8 Night of the Living Dead (1968) [/s]
[s]9 The Fly (1986) [/s]
[s]10 Frankenstein (1931)[/s]
[s]11 Peeping Tom (1960) [/s]
[s]12 The Shining (1980) [/s]
[s]13 Repulsion (1965) [/s]
[s]14 The Thing (1982) [/s]
[s]15 I Walked with a Zombie (1943) [/s]
16 The Haunting (1963)
[s]17 Bride of Frankenstein (1935) [/s]
[s]18 Freaks (1932) [/s]
[s]19 Alien (1979) [/s]
[s]20 Eraserhead (1976) [/s]
[i][s]21 Don’t Look Now (1974) [/s]
[s]22 Dracula (1931) [/s]
[s]23 The Silence of the Lambs (1991) [/s]
[s]24 Curse of the Demon (1957) [/s]
[s]25 Onibaba (1964) [/s][/i]

Don't over-promise. Take on 1-4 films and if you finish those you can take on more. As films are taken we will remove them from this post.

PM me (not Greg this time) to respond or to ask questions. Blurbs may be PMed to me or emailed to [email="ajohnson@imagejournal.org"]ajohnson@imagejournal.org[/email].

Blurbs are due February 4.

ONE film left! Edited by Anna J

Posted · Report post

I'll do these two.
3 The Exorcist (1973)
4 Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (1922)

Posted · Report post

I'll take Caligari.

Posted · Report post

I'll take [b]Night of the Living Dead[/b] and [b]The Thing[/b].

Posted · Report post

THANKS, everyone who has volunteered so far! 14 films left!

When are these three sentences due?

I'll take [i]Vampyr[/i], [i]Frankenstein[/i] and [i]Eraserhead[/i]. I happen to be writing on two of those three black and whites in the next two weeks anyway. Edited by Persona

Posted · Report post

Please send your blurbs to me by February 4.

Posted · Report post

I'll take PEEPING TOM.

Posted · Report post

I can take Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Posted · Report post

I'll take [i]Alien [/i]and [i]Let Me In / Let the Right One In.[/i]

Posted · Report post

Only seven left!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Anna J' date='26 January 2011 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1296078622' post='241391']Only seven left![/quote]
Or 11, if the powers that be accept the suggestion of the undersigned to expand to 25:

[size="2"][quote name='Persiflage' date='26 January 2011 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1296075938' post='241380'][quote name='Scott Derrickson' date='26 January 2011 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1296069993' post='241354'][size="2"]And I may be speaking out of school here, but is there any chance we could make this a top 25 list instead of top 20? If we did we'd get [i]Don't Look Now, Dracula (1931), The Silence of the Lambs, Curse of the Demon, [/i]and[i] Onibaba. [/i]25 seems to me like it's a better "top films" number list anyway, and we'd be getting five more outstanding films.[/size][/quote]
I, also, will heartily drink to that.[/quote][/size][size="2"][quote name='Ryan H.' date='26 January 2011 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1296076184' post='241381'][quote name='Jason Panella' date='26 January 2011 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1296071368' post='241361'][quote name='Overstreet' date='26 January 2011 - 02:41 PM' timestamp='1296070898' post='241359']I vote for a Top 25.[/quote][/size]
[size="2"]As do I.[/quote][/size]
[size="2"]Me too.[/quote][quote name='SDG' date='26 January 2011 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1296077273' post='241387'][/size][size="2"]Oh, I have to admit I like that idea too.

I'll even take a third film, [i]The Silence of the Lambs[/i].[/quote]

[/size]

Posted · Report post

Steve, that's...quite the quote cluster. It's beautiful.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jason Panella' date='26 January 2011 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1296079359' post='241394']Steve, that's...quite the quote cluster. It's beautiful.[/quote]
Hey, I just hit the multi quote button ... Invision did the rest.

Well. I may have added or removed line breaks as needed for optimal aesthetic effect. I am neurotic that way.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Overstreet' date='25 January 2011 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1295998301' post='241226']
With the exception of the #6 dilemma (I still wince at equating those two movies) ...[/quote]
[quote name='Overstreet' date='26 January 2011 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1296077113' post='241386']
I'll take ... [i]Let Me In / Let the Right One In.[/i][/quote]
lol ... and, I trust, not give into what must be a strong temptation to somehow hint at the superiority of one version over the other.

Posted · Report post

Top 20 is now extended to 25, contingent upon volunteers for the final five.

So....eleven left!

Posted · Report post

Oh, if we extend it to 25, I'll gladly take DON'T LOOK NOW. :)

Posted · Report post

Excellent. Thanks, Ryan.

Posted · Report post

[font=georgia, verdana, georgia, georgia][size=2]I'll take [i]Onibaba[/i], since I nominated it and so so so wanted it to make the list. [/size][/font]

Posted · Report post

Thanks, Scott!

Posted · Report post

I'll gladly take [i]Curse of the Demon[/i]. (Thanks for nominating that, Scott (I think?))

Posted · Report post

You are welcome.

I gotta say, I think this is the best top horror films list I've ever seen.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Scott Derrickson' date='26 January 2011 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1296088164' post='241427']I gotta say, I think this is the best top horror films list I've ever seen.[/quote]
I can think of an exorcism movie I wish had made this particular list.

Also, more of you need to see [i]Carnival of Souls[/i].

But yeah, it's a very good list.

Posted · Report post

Oh, and the low placement of [i]The Devil Rides Out[/i] is unfortunate. A Fisher would have been nice on the list.
Also, I'm [i]really[/i] surprised that [i]The Sixth Sense[/i] placed so low. I understand that not everyone has seen [i]The Devil Rides Out[/i], but [i]The Sixth Sense[/i] should have been near the top of this particular list, IMO.

[quote name='SDG' date='26 January 2011 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1296102641' post='241445']
[i]The Sixth Sense[/i] should have been near the top of this particular list, IMO.
[/quote]

I don't think of it as a horror movie.

I'll do the blurb for [i]Freaks[/i]. Edited by Tyler