Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Your Movie Idea Stinks!

This is all in fun. We have a Least Anticipated Sequels thread, but I couldn't find a topic that covers upcoming or recently announced films with bad plot ideas in general (without just starting a thread devoted to said films). So, here's a thread for films we know are coming, but might not necessarily warrant a thread of their own.*

I came across this today, and thought, "Is someone really going to spend millions to produce this?"

Get Back

The movie "centers on the discovery of a time machine by two die-hard Beatles fans, who travel back in time to prevent John Lennon from meeting Yoko Ono, who they blame for the break-up of the Fab Four."

So if they're successful in preventing this meeting, does that mean Lennon won't get shot in front of the Dakota, because he will not be accompanying Yoko to Record Plant Studios where he was recording her song Walking on Thin Ice?

Is this aimed at fans of the Beatles?

I don't get it.

Any other upcoming bad idea films that you know about, but just didn't feel compelled to start a thread for?

*I won't judge if threads do arise... but others may. :D

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Hmmm, I was going to start a thread on Get Back. Still might, in fact. As a fan of both time travel and the Beatles, I don't see anything inherently bad about the idea. It's all a question of execution ... um, no pun intended.

The most interesting fact about this thread is it could span a whole slew presumptions and un-needed negativity. The fact is? Not one of the Oscar Nminated movies "sounds good on paper". They all sound rather derivative and even silly. Yet people here have heaped praise on films that do not sound all that impressive on paper...because people saw them instead of assuming the worst and skipping them.

Honestly, I kind of hate these "presumption that a movie will suck" because, hey, you know what would have made my list?

The Fighter (I mean, come on... "inspirational" sports movies are common place-and what new story is there to tell that is set in the world of boxing that hasn't been covered? Theses things are like rabbits-and I think more of them exist than super-hero movies!))

The Social Network (a movie about the founders of Facebook? Seriously?)

True Grit (A revenge driven western? Aren't they all?)

The King's Speech (A rich king has a fear of speaking in public? Boo hoo. And a quirky commoner builds a relationship with him that allows him to make a great speech?)

Babies (a movie just focusing on four babies? And they don't get voiced by Bruce Willis??? Really?)

I could go on and on...but my assumptions about these films would hardly be fair. I've got to go on more than a bare bones plot before calling out, "was this worth making?" I mean, had someone asked that in advance, would we have gotten Hot Tub Time Machine?

Uh...never mind that...poor example.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Monte Carlo, Zookeeper, Horrible Bosses, The Ward, The Undefeated, Friends with Benefits, Crazy Stupid Love, The Smurfs, The Future, The Devil's Double, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Change-Up, 30 Minutes or Less, Final Destination 5, Glee: The 3D Concert Movie, Conan the Barbarian, Spy Kids: Scratch 'N Sniff, Colombiana, Shark Night 3D, Apollo 18, A Good Old Fashioned Orgy, Warrior, Bucky Larson: Born to Be a Star, Straw Dogs, Abduction, Dolphin Tale, Sarah Palin: You Betcha!, Courageous and I Don't Know How She Does It.

Or, in other words, almost the entire summer.