• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Benchwarmer said:

Having watched several Wilder films within the last few months, I'm inclined to say Double Indemnity Sunset Boulevard > Some Like it Hot The Apartment by a pretty strong margin!!!

Is there anyone who disputes that?

Maybe some people dispute Double Indemnity > Some Like It Hot, but I thought those other rankings were pretty much the common opinion. Am I wrong?

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

On 8 January 2016 at 4:39 PM, Evan C said:

Is there anyone who disputes that?

Maybe some people dispute Double Indemnity > Some Like It Hot, but I thought those other rankings were pretty much the common opinion. Am I wrong?

You may not be wrong at all. It seems to me that Some Like it Hot The Apartment are held in such high regard everywhere I look. Double Indemnity Sunset Boulevard are also held in high regard, but I see them talked about a lot less than the other two in critic circles these days. Though I'm quite happy to acknowledge that I may very well be looking in the wrong places. Either way, my main reason for saying this is that I seem to personally be more easily drawn to early Wilder films than I am to his later ones!!!

Edited by Benchwarmer
  • 4 years later...

Good thread. I've just watched "The Apartment" for the first time (it's on Prime), and after getting over some, well, shock at the premise - how did I not know the premise after all these years?! - I watched with something approaching delight. This is such stellar studio filmmaking. Superb lead performances and strong supporting roles, all making the most of a sterling script. And how 'bout that widescreen B&W cinematography? I was happy to see it, and the lead actors, were all Oscar-nominated, though the film's awards haul didn't include those categories.

This is the kind of film that makes me wonder why I don't just stick to watching unseen classics rather than chasing after the latest talked-about releases. The whole year, especially post-pandemic and with the run-up to the 2020 A&F Top 100 vote, has been like that. As much as I miss going to theaters, I can't think of a more rewarding stretch of movie-viewing in recent, or even distant, memory.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

That's awesome.  It's a really great movie.  Earlier this summer I encouraged my sixteen year-old daughter to watch it, and she wasn't in any hurry to do so, but then she decided to make it her mid-summer project to watch the AFI's Top 100 American Movies list, in order, so it's right there waiting for her and I at #93.  So, give me a while and I'll get back to you with some contemporary reactions.  It's been over a decade since I've seen it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------