Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Pacific Rim

This came up in our thread on At the Mountains of Madness, but it warrants a thread of its own.

Links to our threads on other recent past, present and future alien-invasion and -visitation movies such as Cloverfield (2008), Monsters Vs. Aliens (2009), District 9 (2009), The Fourth Kind (2009), Monsters (2010), Skyline (2010), Apollo 18 (2011), Paul (2011), Battle: Los Angeles (2011), Super 8 (2011), Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011), Cowboys & Aliens (2011), The Thing (2011), Battleship (2012), Alien Sleeper Cell (in development), Dark Moon (in development), Earth Defense Force (in development), The Host (in development), The Kitchen Sink (in development), Under the Skin (in development) and Year 12 (in development).

- - -

Legendary Pictures Re-Teams With 'Clash Of The Titans' Scribe On 'Pacific Rim'

EXCLUSIVE: In a last dash pre-holiday deal, Legendary Pictures has closed a high-six figure preemptive acquisition of Pacific Rim, a science fiction film that will be written by Travis Beacham. Beacham was the original writer of Clash of the Titans, the 3D remake which has grossed $475 million worldwide for Legendary and Warner Bros.

Set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace. The deal was made on the basis of a detailed 25-page treatment. Legendary acquired the project under its co-production and co-financing agreement with Warner Bros. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, May 28 2010

Competition For Guillermo Del Toro's Next Picture: Legendary Preps 'Pacific Rim'

EXCLUSIVE: The green light process on At the Mountains of Madness with Universal Pictures has gone on for so long that there is now a very serious rival for director Guillermo del Toro's next film. I'm hearing that Legendary Pictures is moving fast on a project del Toro likes called Pacific Rim, a Travis Beacham-scripted PG-13 tent pole-sized project with big monsters and the creation of a new world. It could very well be the next film del Toro directs. That picture was developed independent of Warner Bros, and relatively under the radar by Legendary chief executives Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Del Toro has been in the loop through this process. He and Beacham almost worked together in the past when the director flirted with The Killing on Carnival Row at New Line. The Legendary-del Toro relationship dates back through the 8 months they put into Pacific Rim. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, March 7 2011

Warner Bros. has decide to convert this to 3D, pretty much going the against the wishes of Guillermo del Toro...

"There was a discussion that took a long time to overcome and that was to make the movie 3D,” he (del Toro) told website Collider, noting it would affect the audience’s perceptions of scale of the giant characters. “And I didn’t want to make the movie 3D because when you have something big … to force the 3D effect on robots and monsters that are supposed to be [big], you are making them miniaturized, you are making them human scale. I knew that 3D effects sounded like a good idea, but it was going to be counter.”

Anders   

Some of the images flashing by, like the corpse of the beast on the deck of the aircraft carrier, have me think this is going to be a truly original take on the giant monster movie. And we haven't even seen the giant robots yet!

Tyler   

If you're like me and didn't know, Wikipedia to the rescue!

Kaiju (怪獣 kaijū?) is a Japanese word that literally translates to "strange beast". However, the word Kaiju has been universally translated and defined into English as "monster" or "giant monster" and refers to Science fiction films from Japan featuring unnatural creatures of immense size. Kaiju films usually showcase Kaijus or giant monsters of any form attacking a major Japanese city or squaring off with one another.

So if Cloverfield was Godzilla in New York (yes, I know there's an actual "Godzilla in New York" movie, but I'm trying to forget about it), is Pacific Rim going to be Cloverfield in Japan?

Anders   

There's this report at AICN which notes that this is only viral footage, and it is part of the history of the film which will take place in the near future. The film won't be like CLOVERFIELD, except for the giant monsters. This footage is what you would see in archives and tv spots in the film. Not the style of the film at all.

Also, some blueprints for the giant robot Jaegers and a letter from British Air Command recommending pilots (Idris Elba's character?) to the Pan Pacific Defense Corps.

This is getting exciting.

NBooth   

Darn, I searched for it on YouTube and couldn't find it. One of these days I'll get my act together.

W/r/t Transformers--actually, the first thing I thought was that in this movie--unlike in Transformers--you can actually tell what's going on, at least in the shots we see here.

Tyler   

Darn, I searched for it on YouTube and couldn't find it. One of these days I'll get my act together.

It didn't show up right away for me. I had to filter it to only show videos posted today.

Anders   

I'm in.

I must say that besides Del Toro's name, giant robots, and monsters, the thing that has me most excited is that unlike TRANSFORMERS, etc. this is an original film not based on a pre-existing franchise, novel, comic book, etc. Unless you count the collective Id of Japanese pop culture as a source.

opus   

The rocket punch was pretty cool, but my favorite part wasn't all of the monster-smashing action -- which honestly, left me a little underwhelmed. (And Idris Elba's speech bored me.) Rather, it was hearing Ellen McClain's voice as the computer AI. (McClain is best known as the voice of GlaDOS in the Portal videogame series.)

That being said, I still have plenty of faith in Del Toro and plan on seeing this in theatres.

opus   

Trailer, now with Guillermo Del Toro commentary. And FWIW, Del Toro describes the trailer as Howard's End compared to what you'll see in the movie itself.

Attica   

I'm curious to see how much better Del Toro handles huge robots than the Transformers movies. We know he will. Right?

Anodos   

I'm curious to see how much better Del Toro handles huge robots than the Transformers movies. We know he will. Right?

Well, it would be hard to handle them worse...

I saw the 3D trailer attached to my Hobbit screening, and it really was breathtaking. This could potentially be the monster movie I always wanted, the one I hoped Godzilla would be; otoh, I thought the dialogue was pretty much hokum. We'll see.

Russ   

I really like del Toro, so I want this to be good. From what I've seen thus far, though, I can't figure out how it could be. This is all the fighting robots/smashed up scenery/dialogue comprised of platitudes that I don't really go in for when it's part of Battleship of Michael Bay's movies. So, unless there's some magical surrealism or fantastic character work that's being hidden from the trailers...

Tyler   

Posters:

russia_large.jpg

PHIuvE48E3PxLP_1_m.jpg

pacific-rim-poster-coyote-tango.jpeg

If this isn't Transformers, then it sure looks a lot like Neon Genesis Evangelion. Actually, I would be just fine with that.

opus   

A new trailer recently aired at WonderCon, and if Twitter is any indication, it's pretty great.

Anders   

If this isn't Transformers, then it sure looks a lot like Neon Genesis Evangelion. Actually, I would be just fine with that.

Since Del Toro has described the film as a love letter to Japanese popular culture, I would guess it is the later. I can't wait to see this!