Hellbound?

Peter T Chattaway

FWIW, I taught at Trinity in the '90s, when their statement of faith included a line about premillenialism, and the "clarifying statement" that I wrote said, among other things, that I didn't subscribe to that particular brand of eschatology (though I did believe in the Second Coming). I'm not sure if that, technically, would have crossed the line between "clarifying" and "contradicting". (When I filled out the form, I was told that Catholics and others who belong to churches with an episcopal hierarchy were free to disagree with the statement of faith's emphasis on *self-governing* local churches. So it always seemed to me that *some* articles in the statement of faith were insisted upon more strongly than others.)

- - -

The last thing I’ll say about the Trinity situation

After two amicable phone calls with the Dean and the Chair of the School of the Arts, Media and Culture, I’ve come to see my situation a bit more clearly.

Primarily, I’ve come to understand that the reason I have been barred from teaching at Trinity has to do with the fact that my “clarifying statement” re: article 10 of the university’s statement of faith went beyond simple clarification and into an outright contradiction of said article. At least that is how the university administration interpreted it. Therefore, the provost was unable to sign my contract b/c doing so would have set a precedent that essentially put any and all of their articles of faith up for grabs. In other words, it would have taken away Trinity’s ability to use their statement of faith as a means by which to maintain a distinct identity as a Christian educational institution. Therefore, while both the Dean and the Chair made it clear that I’m more than welcome on campus as a guest speaker, I am not allowed to become a faculty member, because then I would have an official role as a representative of the university, which would put them in a potentially awkward legal position. . . .

Kevin Miller, August 29

Hell ignites fury at Trinity Western University

The Christian director of the acclaimed documentary, Hellbound?, has had his upcoming fall course cancelled at Trinity Western University because of his views about hell.

The Langley-based evangelical Christian university has cancelled Kevin Miller’s fall film-making course, claiming that his theology contravened the doctrinal statement of faith all faculty are required to sign. . . .

Vancouver Sun, August 31

- - -

That last item says "This is not the first time TWU’s statement of faith has caused controversy. Public disputes have arose for decades over the part of the orthodoxy test that forbids homosexual relationships among students and staff." -- but that is somewhat misleading, as the statement of faith, at least in its current form, says nothing about sex whatsoever. *That* stuff comes up in the Community Covenant. (Side note: The TWU statement of faith is basically the Evangelical Free Church of Canada statement of faith. TWU is essentially an EV Free school, though of course it has teachers and staff from other denominations.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kevin.  He seems like a well balanced and thoughtful kind of a guy.

"Finally, I should say that people have expressed a lot of anger and outrage at Trinity’s decision, both on my Facebook pages and in emails to me personally. I’ve also had to deal with anger, frustration and disappointment over this issue on my own part. And while the temptation to castigate and scapegoat the “evil institution” is ever-present, I don’t think such feelings are warranted in this case. And they’re never a constructive way to respond in the long run anyway.

Instead, apart from a clear dispute over doctrine, what I think we have here was an old fashioned failure to communicate. I think the Trinity administration has learned a lot from this experience, and so have I. So I’m going to chalk this one up to experience and move on. No hard feelings."

• 1 year later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

That's kind of great.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin Miller has posted a couple of his interviews in full to Vimeo:

Yeah.  I watched the Mark Driscoll interview a week or so ago.  There's some significant logical gaps when he's talking about pre-destination and choice.  As well a guy could address some of his other erroneous thinking but I think it has been dealt with in other places, including to some degree, the film itself.

One thing that I did find interesting is how much quieter Kevin's voice got after that one particular statement of Driscoll's.  It seems to me that either he was frustrated or interacting with what he perceived as tension in the air.

Will have to have a go at the Kevin DeYoung interview when I have time.