Overstreet

American Gods

47 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Anders said:

Isn't that what the new American Gods are? The goddess Media in particular, but also gods of the internet and technology and the stock market.

Ah.  You're right.  It's been too long since I've read it, probably shouldn't have commented without checking Wikipedia first.  That is one of the main conflicts of the book isn't it, between the old gods and the new?

Kristin Chenoweth is Easter

And since this show is definitely happening, should we move this thread or open a new one in the appropriate forum?

So, the trailer is out, and it is looking really good.

This trailer has the Hannibal fan in me doing a minor sort of happy-dance.

Whoa. Stormare! Glover! I'm in.

I imagined Wednesday as quite a bit older, but other than that, I'd say this looks like it's keeping right in the spirit and atmosphere of the book.

Hm. On looking at the IMDB page, it looks like Laura and Lyesmith are going to have much bigger roles; I wonder what other changes will be made. It still looks really good.

Edited by Evan C

[May not be available in Canada]

EDIT:  "The idea of this show is that everybody worships something."

Oh, man. This is going to be so--if I can get David Darkian for a second--talkaboutable. 

Edited by NBooth

NBooth wrote:
: [May not be available in Canada]

It *is* available. But I don't have enough time/interest for this hour-long video right now. :)

Jeremy Davies is playing Jesus.

The picture at my blog post is of Davies playing Charles Manson in Helter Skelter (2004). He was also on Lost for a few seasons (along with Henry Ian Cusick, who played Jesus in The Gospel of John), and he won an Emmy for a guest stint on Justified. And some people might recognize him from Saving Private Ryan (1998), where he played the more book-ish member of the American squad. I still think of him as the guy who sleeps with his mom in David O. Russell's Spanking the Monkey (1994), though; that was one of the first film reviews I had to assign after I became entertainment editor at The Campus Times.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Interesting since Jesus is little more than a footnote in the novel

Gonna be in the Episodic program at SXSW. Look forward to seeing pilot.

So, yeah, that scene with Bilquis is definitely in the pilot. Is it just me or do HBO, Starz, and Cinemax have their own NC-17 style?

There's a lot to like here. Gaiman gave a a video message to SXSW saying he loved the adaptation, and Fuller and Greene said they've messed with timeline a little and tried to bulk up female presences. Pablo Schrieber and Betty Gilpin kinda steal the pilot, and I'm wondering if Shadow is going to become overshadowed by the huge cast of more colorful supporting characters.

Still thinking about: they moved the funeral home scene to a (I think Roman Catholic) Church. I suppose it is understandable for a TV audience to underline themes, but it seemed wrong for the characters and was the one place the first episode made me scratchy. 

On 9/3/2016 at 9:23 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

Jeremy Davies is playing Jesus.

The picture at my blog post is of Davies playing Charles Manson in Helter Skelter (2004). He was also on Lost for a few seasons (along with Henry Ian Cusick, who played Jesus in The Gospel of John), and he won an Emmy for a guest stint on Justified. And some people might recognize him from Saving Private Ryan (1998), where he played the more book-ish member of the American squad. I still think of him as the guy who sleeps with his mom in David O. Russell's Spanking the Monkey (1994), though; that was one of the first film reviews I had to assign after I became entertainment editor at The Campus Times.

He's currently on Sleepy Hollow, playing an anti-Christ-like character who's raising the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I trust our heroes, who are operating out of Washington, D.C., this season, will defeat him.

Not capturing me like I'd hoped it would. Perhaps I'm still sad that Vin Diesel isn't Shadow lol

Posted (edited)

The first episode is up on Amazon with a Starz subscription. I don't have much to say so far, except that--stylistically--this show feels very much like a continuation of Hannibal; there were several moments that made me gasp in exactly the same way that the older show did at its best.

The music is similarly of-a-piece with Hannibal, but it's cut with a very distinct homage to Badalamenti's work on Twin Peaks. 

Edited by NBooth

[1] This thread should really be in TV.

[2] I've watched the first episode twice now and I kind of love it. If they keep with how events unfold in the novel, they've planted a few nice bits of foreshadowing here for those with eyes to see.

[3] Inspired by Joel Mayward, I did a spoiler-ish tweetstorm about the small-town stuff in the novel. It starts here. [I liked the book a lot. I found Shadow a bit, um, shadowy and I wasn't too happy with the plot resolution. But there's lots to like in the novel]

Being completely unfamiliar with the novel and with Bryan Fuller's earlier work, I basically came away from the first episode... unsatisfied. I couldn't have cared less about the barfight, for example, because I simply didn't know these characters well enough to feel invested in them yet. Darn it, when I see a show called "American Gods", I want more of the actual *gods*, y'know? But they haven't even announced themselves as such, yet. Instead we're following this Shadow Moon character, whoever *he's* supposed to be.

I did like the prologue, though.

Delayed reaction here, but I was struck by how the third episode, on the one hand, included a scene in which Mr Wednesday says there is a different Jesus for every ethnic group, and on the other hand, it had a prologue in which a modern-day Egyptian woman meets an ancient Egyptian god who is completely different from her ethnically.

(Complicating matters even more is that the woman in question is officially Muslim, but the god reminds her that she heard stories about the ancient Egyptian gods when she was young. This gets me wondering, will American Gods ever depict Allah? Or -- since Jesus is part of the picture -- will it ever depict God the Father? The Jewish God, even?)

I have never read the novel, so I don't know to what degree it might shed light on any of these questions.

16 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

I have never read the novel, so I don't know to what degree it might shed light on any of these questions.

I have read the novel and have no idea if it might shed light on any of these questions.