Napoleon Dynamite

I took your musing and ran with it.

Oh man, did you ever! You nailed it, Mike! I'm so tickled.

Two small towns, both alike in indignity.

Sweet.

The highlight of the film is Napoleon

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice analysis of the dance sequence! Those dances of Napoleon's have really caught on, BTW. I attended a wedding over the Labor Day weekend and I recognized a few of Napoleon's sweet moves while on the floor.

What's amazing to me is how popular the film is even a year or so after its release. From June 04' to today, Napoleon has not lost a bit of steam. It's still a top-selling DVD, and I think everyone on the planet has rented it at least once. I saw it last October in a small Boston arthouse, and if you had told me back then that it would be a pop culture phenom, I'd have laughed at you.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

FWIW - I meant to note how the dance sequence reminded me of the performance in About a Boy.

Absolutely! Same sort of "solidarity in shame" kind of thing. Both really work for me, though ABOUT A BOY is an especial fave.

Those dances of Napoleon's have really caught on, BTW.

My 19-year-old daughter can do the entire routine.

Do I get proxy cool points for that? Gilt by association?

The Napoleon Dynamite action figures are going to be reased on November 1st. You can look at and pre-order them here (no photos yet, though). I am totally going to buy the Kip figure, if it isn't too expensive.

These are pretty much the coolest action figures ever made, gosh.

Edited by Mister Jeff

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

But maybe the humor is what displays a major difference between the two small towns and the characters, however marginal, they have put on display.

I took your musing and ran with it.

M, I am so ignorant (no need to reply to that comment). I didn't keep up with this thread. Thank you for letting me know by other means. I thought your comparison was spot on but I am going to re-read it just to make sure I can't start an argument.

Edited by asher

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

: My 19-year-old daughter can do the entire routine.

I'm lost for words! Surely that blows apart the whole nature of cool for ever. Napolean is so uncool he's cool, and so copying someone cool a little bit is sort of cool, but copying the whole thing is a bit uncool, but if you're copying some who's so uncool they are cool, but in an uncool way then that means... zap.gif

Matt

Edited by MattPage

Actually, mostly, Thea just likes to dance.

And that's just cool because it's cool.

: My 19-year-old daughter can do the entire routine.

I'm lost for words! Surely that blows apart the whole nature of cool for ever. Napolean is so uncool he's cool, and so copying someone cool a little bit is sort of cool, but copying the whole thing is a bit uncool, but if you're copying some who's so uncool they are cool, but in an uncool way then that means... zap.gif

Matt

It means that 'the cool' is actually a very Derridean concept. It can only appear as invisible, and be presented as the unpresentable, because as soon as you say 'here it is' or 'there it is' you are no longer cool, the cool has once again eluded you, evapourated with its own naming. Coolness only exists as a constant denial of itself. One might even say that 'the cool' fundamentally deconstructs our entire western project of metaphysics...

Oh dear. It seems the dissertation is becoming too much for me. Which is not cool.

• 2 months later...

It's pretty much my favorite devotional ever.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

• 3 months later...

This is set in Idaho, which is kind of like Utah, but doesn't have any Mormon connotations. Hmmm... anything to this?

I noticed that some people felt it was cruel to laugh at Napoleon & others didn't & said they identified with them. Maybe your reaction depends how much you identified with Napoleon. Which of these characters were YOU in high school?

Right -- I was just wondering why they chose Idaho. It seems like a random choice, and I was just constructing this possible train of thought where they may have set it in Utah and then decided to *actually* set it in Idaho because they were Mormons and Utah has Mormon connotations and people might think this was a Mormon movie (see first post in this thread about not calling it "Mormon cinema"), so maybe they changed it to Idaho to avoid the connotations.

But, after thinking about it more... this is a "random" movie -- why *not* set it in a random state?

I guess the train of thought was more interesting in my head!

• 4 years later...

I can't believe this was six years ago already. Insane.

Question:

Was Lafawnduh really a woman? I can never tell. The relationship would be strange either way, but still.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 1 year later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.