Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Batman

Links to our threads on the DC Cinematic Universe films Man of Steel (2013), Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), Aquaman (2018), Shazam! (2019), Wonder Woman 1984 (2019) and Birds of Prey (in development), as well as the in-development Flashpoint, Black Adam, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Batgirl, Joker, Gotham City Sirens and Justice League Dark movies and the not-yet-dated Superman and Justice League sequels.  

Links to our threads on the Batman 2.0 films Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012).

Links to our threads on The Lego Movie (2014), The Lego Batman Movie (2017) and The Lego Movie 2 (2018), all of which feature Lego versions of DC superheroes.

Link to our thread on Todd Phillips' Joker origin movie starring Joaquin Phoenix.

Link to our thread on Superman Vs Batman, which was announced in 2002 but never made.

- - -

Justice League, the movie? Warner chief sets sights on team-up film and ‘reinventing’ Batman
Robinov knows that the most bankable part of his superhero empire has been Nolan and his Gotham City films – the studio has yet to deliver a 21st century superhero blockbuster hit without Nolan in the director’s seat. Batman will continue to be a centerpiece property beyond next year’s “The Dark Knight Rises” and Nolan’s departure from the franchise. “We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman…Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”
Los Angeles Times, March 29

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Drew McWeeny:

I would imagine Jeff Robinov is more nervous about the film than even the most rabid of fanboys.
and Robinov addresses the notion head-on that this is step one in something larger. "It's setting the tone for what the movies are going to be like going forward. In that, it's definitely a first step." . . .

Considering how much skepticism there was towards
and playing the John Blake role again, picking up where "
" ended, I find one of Robinov's statements very revealing. Asked if Nolan's films still stand alone completely, Robinov said, "They do. Or they did." Catch that emphasis? Hmmm. "Where we go in the future is a whole other conversation," he continued, and that certainly sounds to me like they are exploring that possibility. They've denied things in the press so far, but that's because they're still nailing down the plans. I am confident that Blake's journey has just begun, and that we'll see more of that story in the future. . . .

They could just make a Nightwing movie, but then they probably wouldn't make as much money because it wouldn't be a film about Batman.

The nature of the beast is going to be so tricky now. I have a feeling no matter what they do, fans of Nolan's Batman are going to cry fowl.

Seriously. Wonder Woman and Aqua Man? Suuuuuper Man?

Friggin forget it man. Batman is the only decent thing DC has ever come up with anyway.

and Nolan is the only director who will ever be capable of bringing it to the screen. He should stay far, far away...

Ben Affleck To Team With DC’s Geoff Johns On Standalone ‘Batman’ Film: Comic Con

EXCLUSIVE: Here’s one for the Comic Con crowd to gnaw on. I’m told that Ben Affleck is teaming up with Geoff Johns to co-write a standalone Batman movie that Affleck will direct and star in after he completes his longstanding plan to helm his scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel Live By Night. . . .

My studio sources tell me that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017. DC and Warner Bros have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so it’s unclear when Affleck’s Batfilm will be slotted.

But it will clearly take priority and other movies might have to move to get out of its way. . . .

Deadline.com, July 9

I suspect this projects future depends on how many good reviews Batman vs. Superman ... Garners.  

Too soon?

Edited by Overstreet

First Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In, the last two Planet of the Apes films) was hired to direct the film in Affleck's place. Then it was reported that Reeves has ditched the script that Affleck wrote in favour of a script that he, Reeves, will write himself. And *now* the latest rumour is that Warner Brothers is looking for a way to gracefully ease Affleck out of the film altogether. Affleck denied this, of course, when asked about it the other day (at Comic-Con, I think?), but, as they say, stay tuned.

Warner Bros. Shifts DC Strategy Amid Executive Change-Up
The big question mark going forward is the future of Batman. Writer-director Matt Reeves turned in the first act of a new screenplay during the Memorial Day weekend. It's said to focus on a young caped crusader, and while the studio would not comment, it's unlikely that Ben Affleck, who has played Batman in three features, will again don the cowl.
Hollywood Reporter, June 13