Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Suspiria

13 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on previous David Gordon Green films All the Real Girls (2003), Undertow (2004), Snow Angels (2007), Pineapple Express (2008), Eastbound & Down (2009-2010), Your Highness (2011) and The Sitter (2011). We don't seem to have a thread on George Washington (2000).

- - -

David Gordon Green Says His Horror Remake Of ‘Suspiria’ Is Hopefully Next

Exclusive: Filmmaker David Gordon Green is a busy guy. He’s got both “Your Highness” and “The Sitter” hitting this year, and he’s moving into television, with “Good Vibes” on MTV, and “Black Jack” at Comedy Central. Beyond that, his long-rumored remake of “Suspiria” looks like it will be next on his feature-film horizon. We spoke to Green in regards to “Your Highness” this weekend, which opens a week from Friday (April 8), and got the story on old school horror fans’ most anticipated remake.

“I’m hopefully going to get into a horror film, [‘Suspiria’] next. That’s the goal,” Green said about lining up the remake of the Dario Argento psych-horror classic as his next feature once he’s done directing the pilot to “Black Jack” next month.

“It’s an idea that came to me three years ago,” Green said, speaking of the script’s lengthy incubation process which he co-wrote with his sound-designer, which of course offered a completely new perspective as well. “That was an enlightening process. [Our ‘Suspiria’] doesn’t follow the trend of the traditional horror movies of late, so it’s a leap of faith, financially.” He also says that there won’t be many key differences, stating, “It’s actually very faithful. I’m gonna put my spin on it, but in terms of a pitch, it’s going to remain quite faithful to [the original].” . . .

The Playlist, March 28

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I can't see any upside to this.

Is he going to keep the original soundtrack by Goblin? When I saw this last fall, the music and some of the stunning visuals were the only real reasons to enjoy it. It was enough for what it was, but I would think that he would want to have a little more freedom to deviate from the original.

What a trajectory: George Wash. - All the Real Girls - Pineapple Express - Eastbound and Down - Suspiria.

It seems that he has left the world of cinema for the world of a pretty unique brand of comeday, but I find his comedy really interesting. It doesn't have that coming-of-age self-seriousness of Apatow's stuff.

So, ballet-horror is replacing sparkly vampires as the Next Big Thing?

I might just be okay with that.

This is starting up again, apparently for real this time.

Two of the producers made Hotel Rwanda and I Am Love, so if nothing else, Green's Suspiria will be useful for 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon games.

I'll just venture a guess that Suspiria mega-fan Scott Derrickson is quietly weeping somewhere.

Edited by Overstreet

I'll just venture a guess that Suspiria mega-fan Scott Derrickson is quietly weeping somewhere.

You don't have to venture a guess that at least one SUSPIRIA mega-fan is :cry:

If this re-make turns out to have the hazy, hypnotic feel of Green's George Washington, I can be more positive about it than I now am... but somehow, I don't think that that's going to be the case.

I can't see any upside to this.

I don't think a remake is necessary -- or that it will be any good -- but I do think there could be some positive things that could come out of this. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but a remake would hopefully spark an interest in the original, and (fingers crossed) lead to a revival of and critical reevaluation of Argento's early work. And if Green insists on flooding the market with yet another sub-par horror film, at least a Suspiria remake would generate a little cash for Dario Argento and co-writer Daria Nicolodi, something that an "original" film wouldn't do.

The possibilities for greatness are unlimited. Jonah Hill, Danny McBride and James Franco as stoner buds who fight an evil witch in a girls boarding school. Another idea-wait...

What is that sound? Wailing souls? Gnashing teesh? More Suspiria fans hearts being crushed?

IMDb now lists a rather different Suspiria remake (the DGG one is gone). This one will be directed by Luca Guadagnino and star Dakota Johnson and Tilda Swinton.