Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Royal Wedding

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Anyone else excited about this?

I will, of course, be watching it with academic glasses on, commenting on the nature of national rituals and not her wedding dress. Of course.

Posted · Report post

Also very excited. I confess to have read a trashy book of Wills and Kate that came out a few months ago. I hope the best for them and am excited to see all the pagentry of that day.

Posted · Report post

Grandson of the richest woman in the world gets married and we end up paying. Might get a good view from my new office though...

Matt

Posted · Report post

MattPage wrote:

: Grandson of the richest woman in the world . . .

J.K. Rowling has a grandson? ;)

Posted · Report post

Might get a good view from my new office though...

Show off :P Think there's a lot to be said for watching it on the tele like most plebs, meself.

Would like to be in London that day. I was in town the day before Diana's funeral and it was an odd experience, so much of the city had converted into a space of mourning. It would be interesting to contrast that with the space of celebration that it will undoubtedly be for the Royal Wedding. I also like the feeling of tourism on my own country at these moments; at times of heightened nationalism and pageantry, the culture doesn't feel quite like it is mine, though I am guessing that is true for many white British folk too.