Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Arkadin

Django Unchained

JGL is out.

Gordon-Levitt was set to play a small supporting role in Django but knew that shooting might conflict with Don Jon’s Addiction, which he’ll be directing and starring in with Scarlett Johansson, according to a

Deadline report from February. As it turns out, scheduling does in fact conflict, and Gordon-Levitt recently confirmed to MTV News, “No, I’m not going to get to do [Django]. I’d love to, but it just doesn’t work.”

Edited by Tyler

Is it just me, or is "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Vengeance" a pretty predictable tagline?

Edited by NBooth

Other people seem to be going nuts for the trailer, but it doesn't do much for me. I'm not sure I like the broadly comedic Tarantino suggested here. It reminds me of the "Basterd" sections of INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, which were not the film's strong points. Of course, the finished film may play differently than this trailer would suggest.

Other people seem to be going nuts for the trailer, but it doesn't do much for me. I'm not sure I like the broadly comedic Tarantino suggested here. It reminds me of the "Basterd" sections of INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, which were not the film's strong points. Of course, the finished film may play differently than this trailer would suggest.

I'm cautiously optimistic, myself. The idea of a flashy-cool-slave-revenge-narrative from Tarantino makes me simultaneously uncomfortable and curious. I'm not sure why Django's wife (I'm assuming that's his wife) is so glammed up. I'm no expert on the way slave-owners treated the women they enslaved, but I'm pretty sure it didn't include fancy dresses.

Edited by NBooth

There's an easy answer. I guess this is a slight spoiler, so for those who don't want to know anything, you don't have to read, but I think it's pretty basic stuff: Leo DiCaprio's character runs a kind of slave whorehouse called Candyland. All his female slaves are therefore glammed up.

Edited by Ryan H.

True, but remember that all of the trailers for BASTERDS played up that angle, pretty much ignoring some of the best stuff in the film (like Fassbender's Lt. Hicox). There are still a lot of actors who are attached to the film that we haven't seen much of, so there's that. I have no doubt that Tarantino has a few surprises left. Either way, I liked the trailer quite a bit.

I'm quite excited to see how much fun DiCaprio seems to be having with the Calvin Candie role. So different from his recent "sad dad" roles (I say this as a huge fan of both INCEPTION and SHUTTER ISLAND) and actors do seem to shine under Tarantino's direction.

There's an easy answer. I guess this is a slight spoiler, so for those who don't want to know anything, you don't have to read, but I think it's pretty basic stuff: Leo DiCaprio's character runs a kind of slave whorehouse called Candyland. All his female slaves are therefore glammed up.

Ah. Makes sense. Not sure how I missed that.

True, but remember that all of the trailers for BASTERDS played up that angle, pretty much ignoring some of the best stuff in the film (like Fassbender's Lt. Hicox).

Yeah, I know. The trailer ain't the film.

That said, DJANGO UNCHAINED is a much more straightforward piece of work than INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, and the trailer does give a pretty good sense of the narrative, so I'm not sure the final result will differ quite as much from the trailer as BASTERDS did.

Ta-Nehisi Coates gets at something else that bugged me about the trailer--though not in a way I could articulate:

I worry about rendering enslaved black men as eunuchs restored, and enslaved black women as merely the field upon which that restoration is demonstrated. The fact is that is that very few enslaved black women had the luxury of waiting on freedom via black men. In so many cases, they had to make their own way. That is where I believe the nectar of narrative awaits. That is where I want to go.

--though, of course, as one commentor notes--Tarantino generally has assertive female characters (like Shoshonna in IB), so it could be that Django's wife does make her own way. We'll see, I guess.

Edited by NBooth

Christian posted this on Facebook today:

“It’s strange to get an award [16th Hollywood Film Awards] while I’m still in the editing room,” said Quentin Tarantino, who took screenplay honors for his upcoming gonzo western “Django Unchained,” which will be released in theaters Christmas Day. Then again, he added, the honor could prove helpful in winning arguments with his editor. “I'll be able to say, ‘Hey, you want to take a line out of my award-winning screenplay?'"

WHAT.

NO.

WAY.

What an amazing first for the Glen Workshop. A song performed at an Open Mike, one of the highlights of my 2012 Glen experience, ends up in a Tarantino movie by the end of the year? Amazing.

And here she is:

Edited by Overstreet

Just talked with Elayna. It isn't the same song, Deb. It's a new song with the same title. Still, AWESOME.

Confirmed: My friend Elayna's song is in the movie, and powerfully so. I saw it on Friday. (I'm embargo'd until opening day.)

Meanwhile: Robert Koehler!

The historico-genre movie, which has been going thru redefinition, is heightened to an ecstatic degree by DJANGO, far and away QT's best.

And this:

Rather happy that I viewed DJANGO mere hours before I vote in LAFCA awards. It's so clearly the U.S. movie of the year, it ends discussion.

Confirmed: My friend Elayna's song is in the movie, and powerfully so. I saw it on Friday. (I'm embargo'd until opening day.)

Meanwhile: Robert Koehler!

The historico-genre movie, which has been going thru redefinition, is heightened to an ecstatic degree by DJANGO, far and away QT's best.

And this:

Rather happy that I viewed DJANGO mere hours before I vote in LAFCA awards. It's so clearly the U.S. movie of the year, it ends discussion.

Whoa. My interest in DJANGO UNCHAINED just shot way up.