Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Pompeii

Link to our thread on the Roman Polanski film that never happened, and is now being turned into a mini-series.

- - -

Paul W.S. Anderson to Direct Volcano Adventure 'Pompeii' (Exclusive)

Set in late summer 79 A.D., Pompeii revolves around the slave of a shipping tycoon who dreams of the day he can buy his freedom and marry his master's daughter. What the slave doesn't know is that she's already been promised to a corrupt Roman senator, while he's been sold to another owner.

Just when things can't get any worse, Mt. Vesuvius erupts with the power of 40 nuclear bombs. But the slave is trapped on a ship headed for Naples, separated from his love and best friend, a gladiator who is trapped in the city's coliseum. As fire and ash destroy the only world he's ever known, the slave is determined to get back and rescue them.

Insiders say the plan is for Anderson to start shooting Pompeii in spring 2012 from a script by Lee Batchler and Janet Scott Batchler. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, May 2

BTW, this is the guy who directed Alien Vs. Predator and the Resident Evil movies, not to be confused Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia, There Will Be Blood).

BTW, this is the guy who directed Alien Vs. Predator and the Resident Evil movies, not to be confused Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia, There Will Be Blood).

Yep.

Quite a step down from Roman Polanski. I'm still bummed this movie didn't happen under his guidance. Ah, well. Polanski's CARNAGE and TRUE CRIME seem interesting enough to assuage my sorrow.

Ryan H. wrote:

: Quite a step down from Roman Polanski. I'm still bummed this movie didn't happen under his guidance.

Well, strictly speaking, I believe this is an entirely different movie. The Polanski movie -- which is now being developed as a mini-series -- was based on a book, whereas this Anderson film is not, no?

Well, strictly speaking, I believe this is an entirely different movie. The Polanski movie -- which is now being developed as a mini-series -- was based on a book, whereas this Anderson film is not, no?

Oh, I see. I was confused.

Edited by Ryan H.

With credits like that, I can only hope they are looking towards Edward Bulwer-Lytton's novel as source material.

With credits like that, I can only hope they are looking towards Edward Bulwer-Lytton's novel as source material.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing.

Opening narration (preferably read by James Earl Jones):  It was a smokey and volcanoey morn; the lava ran in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was ejaculated by a violent upheaval which swept up the streets (for it is in Pompeii that our scene lies), cascading along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the torches that struggled against the volcanoeyness.

And that's better than a Paul W.S. Anderson movie deserves.

Edited by John Drew

Just two quick comments:

1. I really wish we could have seen the planned Roman Polanski film.

2. For all the sound and fury in that second trailer, I don't think it will live up to my experience of standing in front of this painting:

John-Martins-The-Destruct-001.jpg

Calum Marsh includes Pompeii on his "Ten Movies to See in 2014" list:

4. Pompeii (Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson)

The modern Hollywood blockbuster, if this summer's slate is anything to go by, seems to be in rather dire condition — turgid, loud, and overblown, it's getting to the point that you can't enter a multiplex without earplugs. Paul W.S. Anderson may offer the antidote: His adventure films carry all the charge desired of extravagant spectacle but without any of the attendant headaches. Pompeii, his forthcoming historical epic, promises to double down on the streamlined jocularity of his best film to date, The Three Musketeers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q57JxQVvuZ8

Looks like someone's ripping off Attack of the Clones.whistling2.gif

(Ok, so I'm still bitter about John Carter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX6oExQMx40

More clips on YouTube. Plus a b-roll.

Isn't Gladiator the more obvious reference point?

While I can kinda see what the Anderson fans see in his films (the opening sequence of Resident Evil: Retribution is pretty astonishing), everything we've seen from Pompeii seems to lack Anderson's mad inventiveness.

Isn't Gladiator the more obvious reference point?

Sure. But the riding-an-animal-while-chained thing brought JC to mind immediately (and my larger point was that both AotC and JC were pulling from the same well of inspiration of which Gladiator is, as you say, a more recent example).

I'm just going to keep calling Pompeii "You know nothing about volcanoes, Jon Snow." I don't even need to see it--but PTC's review helps.

When he fights back the zombies and seals off the volcano, saving Pompeii....we will all appreciate the filmmaking brilliance at play.

Alex von Tunzelmann @ Guardian gives the film a C+ for both entertainment and history, e.g.:

The gladiators sit down to a historically accurate vegetarian supper. Fortunately, the film's adviser, professor Jonathan Edmondson, stopped the director feeding them potatoes. "At that time, they'd not heard of Walter Raleigh," Edmondson pointed out. Contact between Europe and the Americans – the home of the potato – would not happen until the Vikings reached Newfoundland a millennium later, and only became substantial after Columbus. Of course, this sort of thing didn't stop Hollywood putting a llama in Troy.

Alex von Tunzelmann @ Guardian gives the film a C+ for both entertainment and history, e.g.:

The gladiators sit down to a historically accurate vegetarian supper. Fortunately, the film's adviser, professor Jonathan Edmondson, stopped the director feeding them potatoes. "At that time, they'd not heard of Walter Raleigh," Edmondson pointed out. Contact between Europe and the Americans – the home of the potato – would not happen until the Vikings reached Newfoundland a millennium later, and only became substantial after Columbus. Of course, this sort of thing didn't stop Hollywood putting a llama in Troy.

Troy must have been produced by this guy...

178672.jpg