Peter T Chattaway

Song to Song (was: Weightless)

55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Manohla Dargis of NY Times is somewhat positive about the film (see final paragraph below), though in a guarded way:

" "Song to Song” is filled with beautiful people adrift in beautiful (glass) houses and natural settings. All this loveliness has its pleasures, but Mr. Malick’s visual choices also give the film a commercial luster that can rob that beauty of its power. That’s partly because the advertising world and mainstream cinema have long pilfered his aesthetic, turning it into a sales pitch. Mr. Malick is enraptured with beauty as an expression of God and as a path to God. But in “Song to Song” both the familiarity of his aesthetic and the inability of some of his actors to summon an inner light create immaculately photographed surfaces rather than immanence. You see the poses, not the divine.

That’s disappointing, even if there’s also much here that’s exhilarating, including the film’s ambitions and its seriousness. Seriousness in cinema is often viewed with suspicion and that’s as true now as it was when, say, Antonioni shook up the art. The difference is that now seriousness (and beauty and grace) is rarely part of a wider discussion, because that conversation is dominated by corporate cinema, where there’s often little to argue over and get excited by. There is, by contrast, much to admire in “Song to Song” and much to argue with, including its ideas about pleasure and women. So go, fall into its embrace, resist its charms, argue. This may not be a film to love, but it is a film to see."

Edited by Brian D

On 3/13/2017 at 8:12 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

(I missed Knight of Cups and the IMAX version of Voyage of Time when they came through Vancouver; I don't know if we ever had the feature-length version of Voyage of Time)

FWIW, the IMAX version is still playing at World of Science every day at 3pm. I'm hoping to see it this week. 

10 hours ago, Brian D said:

Manohla Dargis of NY Times is somewhat positive about the film (see final paragraph below), though in a guarded way:

" "Song to Song” is filled with beautiful people adrift in beautiful (glass) houses and natural settings. resist its charms, argue. This may not be a film to love, but it is a film to see."

I will be surprised if 1/2 the reviews of Song to Song don't have a "glass houses" reference and the other half don't include something about "beside still waters."

The excerpt Brian posted above works just fine as a review of Knight of Cups, in my opinion. (I revisited that last night.)

For anyone interested, someone put together a Spotify playlist of all the music from Song to Song. The piece (or one of the pieces) that shows up repeatedly throughout the film is "From the Abyss" by Preisner