Sign in to follow this  
run

American Idol

I was a huge Paris fan at first, but I think she comes off as a child. She likely could have won AI if she had entered in another year or two, but I think she's not quite ready for prime time.

Taylor, Chris and Katharine have consistently been among the best, and although I'd likely buy a Taylor Hicks CD before the other two, I think Katharine is going to win, and likely should. Her performances are nearly flawless, and unless she is forced into singing a pile of pop nonsense, she could be a superstar.

I say that even though I can't name a single song she has sung so far, and didn't really *need* to hear any of them twice -- while Chris and Taylor have each given performances that I could have watched over and over (eg. I Walk the Line and Livin' For the City). Chris has a brooding intensity that I find a bit tiring, but Taylor has an infectious enthusiasm -- NO-ONE is having more fun than he is. (Less running around would be good...) Yes, looking forward to Taylor's next CD.

Am I the only person on this board that thinks Katherine is a bit over-rated? Sure, she has a good voice, but the problem I have is that she often tries to sing higher than she's prepared for. Her notes on top often sound weak to me. There's also the issue of her attitude - she's trying to hide the fact that she is rather stuck on herself, but it creeps through every time someone makes any kind of critical comment about her performance.

I'm still hoping Taylor pulls out the win. It may be the first Idol related album I purchase.

I think Elliott is the most underrated. He's not a great performer, but the boy can sing. He is growing on me week by week.

Ace should be kaput after tonight. I can't understand how he has stayed in the running this long - well, he is man-pretty, and that helps. Voice wise, he needs to get the excessive airiness out, and fix his pitch problems. (This is the singing/voice teacher part of me coming out.)

Edited by Clint M

Dear Taylor,

We've found a way to cause friction between you and the rest of the contentants. Want to play along?

Signed,

The American Idol Producers.

Ace went bye-bye this week, but Chris and Paris were in the bottom 3.

Edited by Clint M

Am I the only person on this board that thinks Katherine is a bit over-rated?

Ummm, did you see my earlier post (#69) on this? She's growing on me. Last night was outstanding. But that was a bit of a revelation for me. She hadn't really connected with me before last night.

Anyway, good to see Ace go, and it'll probably do Chris some good to have a little scare.

Pickler, on the other hand... if she wasn't in the bottom 3 THIS week, will she ever be?

My wife pointed out that Pickler was likely helped by Bucky's dismissal -- garnering more votes from the 'country & southern' fans.

Dear Taylor,

We've found a way to cause friction between you and the rest of the contentants. Want to play along?

Signed,

The American Idol Producers.

Ace went bye-bye this week, but Chris and Paris were in the bottom 3.

Between the "choose the group" routine, and the Ford commercial, Taylor was everywhere, wasn't he?

I absolutely hate to think the dweebs at www.votefortheworst.com have any power, but unfortunately it would seem to be true based on Kellie Aw Shucks Pickled's performance. As a side note, I think *I* am the only one who doesn't see the great charm/talent in Chris. I was not surprised to find him where he was last night.

My top two are still Taylor and Katharine...out of who's left.

My wife pointed out that Pickler was likely helped by Bucky's dismissal -- garnering more votes from the 'country & southern' fans.

True, but Taylor is also from the south (Alabama). He's not got quite the country image that Pickler has, though. I do think Pickler is smarter than she appears, in using her supposed blondness for selling an "ah, shucks" image.

Next Week: Sing with Andre Bocelli.

So what does this mean?

Are they singing classical pop opera? Josh Groben type songs?

According to the web site, they will be covering "classic love songs." No idea what that entails yet. Perhaps a stirring rendition of "Start Me Up"? or "Satisfaction"? ;)

I havent seen any blogging yet on this, but one of the local morning radio shows devoted about 20 mins to it...

How did I miss Katherine Mcphee's wardrobe malfunction last night? 8O

I was listening to the broadcast from our home office, while doing some last-minute research on a car purchase. I didn

I saw a snapshot this morning, and read about how she

I saw a snapshot this morning, and read about how she “showed cleavage,” that sort of thing.

Sorry if this is catering to prurient interests, but the alleged "malfunction" was of the Basic Instinct sort. And yes, I agree, she sounded terrible.

Elliot was my favorite of the evening. He has one of my favorite voices of the group. If he can only lose that psychotic stare while singing!

Oh yes. I remember turning on the broadcast last night only to be greeted by that three seconds later. Yikes.

Elliot's a very good singer, he's just not the greatest showman. If I had to listen to anyone's voice, it would be his or Taylor's.

BTW, the DialIdol results so far (swipe over the text below to read) :spoilers:

1-3 Taylor Hicks

1-3 Chris Daughtry

1-4 Elliott Yamin

3-5 Katharine McPhee

4-6 Kellie Pickler

5-6 Paris Bennett

Edited by Clint M

I guess she'll find her pottery partner now.

And now if you'll excuse me...

(Runs quickly out of thread with great laughter)

AS long as they don't sing....

Hey, did anyone notice that Pickle DIDN'T do a goodbye song? I thought that was pretty interesting.

My bottom two: Paris and Katherine.

Paris has been hanging by a thread for the last few weeks. Katherine just needs to go. That routine where she rolled around the floor tonight was silly.

Edited by Clint M

My bottom two: Paris and Katherine.

Paris has been hanging by a thread for the last few weeks. Katherine just needs to go. That routine where she rolled around the floor tonight was silly.

According to DialIdol.com, you are correct~

...and they haven't been wrong much...

Also according to them, My Taylor was #1. :P

Well, I was close. Paris and Elliott in the bottom two; Paris went bye bye.

Apparently next week will be the songs of Elvis. Or, as I'll call it, "a Taylor-made category."

Katharine sealed her fate tonight, I believe, with her self-conscious, Lido lounge performances. She still looks dazzling, but it was clear that her pipes get really shrill when she's under pressure.

In contrast, Elliot really threw down the gauntlet. Technically, he's the best singer of the bunch. If he looked anything like Ace he would've already clinched the victory. America roots for goofballs like Kevin, but Elliot's almost Hobbit-like.

My prediction now... Kate off this week, Elliot gone the next and then Taylor taking the prize in the final two.

That's also my thought coltrane. Katherine should have been gone a week or two ago when she started the whole sex kitten act. I have a feeling that the female vote and the horny boy vote have been helping her.

I'm now torn between Taylor and Elliott. They both have talent, although Taylor is the better performer and Elliott is the better singer. Neither looks like the traditional glamourized pop singer, which is refreshing. I'd like for it to be down to those two in the finals, but Chris has too much of an advantage right now.

Talent wise, this has been a much better year than in the past. I'm not sure how their long-term careers will be, though.

The current DialIdol results are interesting: (spoilerized)

Taylor and Elliott in the Top 2; Katherine and Chris are virtually neck-and-neck for last place. Chris is currently losing.

Edited by Clint M

So much for momentum. Chris is out; Katherine somehow lasts another week. I didn't see the show, but someone said that her face was like reading a book when they announced she was in the bottom two. If she knocks out Elliot next week, I'll be super mad.

I don't exactly know why she irritates me. I think it's because she tries so hard to be slick. I don't get that feeling from Taylor or Elliot.

Edited by Clint M