Autumn Sonata

I couldn't find a thread for this, and didn't see it mentioned in the Bergman-ucation thread.

Has anyone seen this and have comments on it?

It's a film that we just watched based on a recommendation from my wife's sister, who is a painter/singer/teacher and described it as one of the most beautiful films she's ever seen. I would guess that the beauty she found in it has a lot to do with the visual compositions (being a painter).

I would agree with the assessment that it is beautiful, especially in its performances and its meditation on forgiveness. If you haven't seen it, though, you should know that there is much pain spiked into the beauty. Then again, this is Bergman...you cannot come out of his films unscathed or "torn open" somehow.

My favorite scene is the one shared by the 2 lead actresses over the piano...Bergman's camera dissects so many emotions on the faces here.

I hate the fact that I can't remember too much about Autumn Sonata. I know it was beautiful, and touching, too. If we could call Diane out of hiding (I know she lurks), she might have some great comments about it.

I'm finding that if I don't write on a film, I don't remember it as well. I need to blog a bunch of Bergmans once I get a new DVD player and find my way back to Netflix.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

The question that intrigues me most as I mull this film over in my mind is: how much hope and how much despair do we take away from the final scenes? What did Bergman intend? Or would he not concern himself with that kind of question at all? He may be interested primarily in exploring relationships, and not in projecting a hopeful or hopeless world.

Related question: how are we to view the Liv Ullmann character's faith? Much about the way it is presented is quite negative, or at least it seems to be associated with something very unhealthy at one point in the film. Perhaps this is changing by the end, though. I'm not so sure.