Before Midnight (a.k.a. Before Sunrise 3)

Link to our thread on Before Sunset (2004). We don't seem to have a thread on Before Sunrise (1995).

Link to our thread on Waking Life (2001), which sort of featured these characters in a cameo of sorts.

The Playlist passes along an Ethan Hawke quote from this French video:

"Well, I don't know what we're going to do but I know the three of us have been talking a lot in the last six months," Hawke revealed. "All of three of us have been having similar feelings that we're ready to revisit those characters. There's nine years between the first two movies and, if we made the film next summer, it would be nine years again so we're really started thinking that would be a good thing to do. We're going to try write it this year."

Hawke also talks about Boyhood, the movie that he and Linklater have been shooting for several years now (and will continue to shoot for a few more); it concerns a boy who grows up -- literally -- over the course of the film, and Hawke plays the dad.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, the MTV Movies Blog introduced its Sinister-themed profile of Ethan Hawke by stating that Hawke is "currently in Greece working on the sequel to 'Before Sunset' with Richard Linklater". And then, The Playlist rounded up some data points that might support this rumour. But for now, a rumour it remains.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

MTV Movies Blog has confirmed with Ethan Hawke that he and Linklater are in Greece *developing* the third movie. So they're just "writing" and "workshopping" it, not actually filming anything yet.

Oh yes, it is as every bit as informative and insane as you would imagine it to be. I did a massive double-take when it appeared on Hulu. Couldn't quite figure out what was happening.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• 4 months later...

A couple of very positive reviews:

http://www.cinemable...fect-35221.html

http://collider.com/...idnight-review/

I desperately want this to be good...

Update: Eric Kohn says it's the best in the series -

http://www.indiewire.com/article/masterful-before-midnight-reunites-ethan-hawke-and-julie-delpy-for-the-best-installment-of-richard-linklaters-trilogy

Edited by Anodos

A couple of very positive reviews:

http://www.cinemable...fect-35221.html

http://collider.com/...idnight-review/

I desperately want this to be good...

Update: Eric Kohn says it's the best in the series -

http://www.indiewire...klaters-trilogy

This series falls into the "fool me once..." category. Except I was fooled twice! I won't bite a third time.

Not that these films were a complete waste of time, or corrosive to my soul. I didn't hate these movies. I think I liked them, or liked moments within them. But I remember being puzzled by the extreme enthusiasm shown these films by so many critics I respect.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

This series falls into the "fool me once..." category. Except I was fooled twice! I won't bite a third time.

Not that these films were a complete waste of time, or corrosive to my soul. I didn't hate these movies. I think I liked them, or liked moments within them. But I remember being puzzled by the extreme enthusiasm shown these films by so many critics I respect.

I can understand people not falling for them, although I like them well enough myself. They aren't masterpieces, just small low-key films which give you the chance to eavesdrop on the lives of others. They aren't a three-course meal, and they aren't junk food - more like a glass of wine and some cheese. It may help that I saw the first two as a teenager, when my mindset may have been similar to the first film. I don't know. However, I do know that I have a lot of goodwill towards this series, and hope it continues over the years.

Since this film is definitely titled Before Midnight, can we update the title thread?

Mike D'Angelo's review may be toeing the line of spoilers, but here's a spoiler-free bit:

... C&J have become two of the most sharply individualized characters in cinema history, credible at every moment. Paradoxically, Midnight is the most harrowing of the three films, but also far and away the funniest; only a marrow-deep understanding of who these people are, and how they would likely change over the years, makes that tightrope walk possible.
Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

What has me really excited about this film is the way in which it

shifts the dynamic of these two onto the marriage track. We all know the old saw about how the tension of will they/won't they casts such a large shadow that what seems dramatically interesting about a couple fades after they get together. That's usually the fault of artists who don't understand that the real work and real drama and real difficulty begin after the decision to wed. I'm really excited to see what Linklater brings to all of that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...

Critics on Twitter are warning people not to watch that trailer... saying that it reveals way, way, way too much. I'm glad I saw the warning in time.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Critics on Twitter are warning people not to watch that trailer... saying that it reveals way, way, way too much. I'm glad I saw the warning in time.

Thanks for sharing this warning. I'm heeding it.

"What is inside is also outside." -Goethe via Merleau-Ponty, in conclusion to the latter's one extended rumination on film
Filmwell, Twitter, & Letterboxd

IT TURNS OUT THEY WERE DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

They talked themselves to death.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

FWIW, Jeffrey Wells (who loves the film) says the trailer "gets it just right. Just enough of a suggestion of what the film is without giving the game away."

But he doesn't embed the trailer or even link to it, so take that for what it's worth.

In anticipation of Before Midnight, here are a few reflections on Before Sunrise.

I like these thoughts a lot. Especially given that Slacker may be the last great "hipster" film prior to the commodification of hipsterism through technology and SXSW. There is an innocence and spontaneity to Slacker that doesn't exist in portrayals of those cultures anymore*, and that certainly is true in this film as well. Would even Before Sunset be possible if they both had iphones to check every five minutes?

So, going out on a limb here, but if Soderbergh is a filmmaker about systems, Linklater is a filmmaker about presence. I can't think of one Linklater film that at some point does not pivot on the weird mechanics of human presence in the moment as a sort of rescue from oblivion.

Paging Darren...

*In fact The Comedy is the reverse of Slacker, in which all that joie de vivre becomes mere survival. Frankly, The Comedy is a film I completely loathe because it is done too well. But it serves as a perfect counterpart to the Sunset/Sunrise cycle.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

M. Leary wrote:

: Would even Before Sunset be possible if they both had iphones to check every five minutes?

That's a fascinating question. Reading it, it suddenly dawns on me that that film came out before the rise of Facebook etc. Part of the essential mystery of Before Sunrise is that the characters have only their promise to one another at the end: there are no easy ways to stay in touch beyond that (or to the extent that there might be, those ways are easily set aside). If they had not met again in Before Sunset -- if one of them had not become a quasi-famous author who was easily discovered by the other -- then perhaps, *today*, they would end up looking for each other through social media or "friending" each other on Facebook and catching up *that* way.

(Side note: I took lots of pictures on my own trip to Europe in the summer of 1994, such as this one, but I remember what a pain it was making time to get my pictures developed. I also remember spending a day in London with a friend who was passing through on her way to Turkey, and her saying at one point that she didn't want to take any pictures of a certain place, she just wanted to "remember" it. And I *also* got my first-ever e-mail account within weeks of coming home, because I wanted to stay in touch with all the people I had met in the archaeology course that I took over there. As I recall, very few of my friends at home had e-mail at the time.)

• 4 weeks later...

The filmmakers are open to a fourth film, somewhere down the road. So, okay, that probably means no one dies in this one. (But there *does* seem to be a quasi-spoiler or two in the article linked there, so beware and all that.)