John Drew

Hannibal

Another great episode.

I am sad that Gillian Anderson appears to have departed from the show, at least for the immediate future. Her scene in Hannibal's office was beautifully executed.

Tyler   

Anderson is a regular on the new NBC show Crisis, which is probably why she's stepping down on Hannibal. There's no way we've seen the last of her on the show, though.

Some of my favorite lines from last night:

"Sounds like I am unemployed."

"One of these things is not like the others..."

"You're Hannibal Lecter's therapist. What's that like?"

Caged Will Graham is one of the funniest characters on TV.

Edited by Tyler

The ending of Friday's episode

with Lecter finding the note and the perfume bottle

was pitch-perfect. Great episode overall, but those last few moments took it to another level.

Edited by andrew_b_welch

I note with some pleasure that the ratings have improved for Hannibal.

This past episode had some strong moments, but all-in-all, it felt more like set-up for things that will come to fruition later this season. The preview for next week's episode has Hannibal seducing Dr. Bloom, which is an unexpected development, to say the least.

Edited by Ryan H.

Tyler   

It's that thing where you wish April Fools didn't exist and this could be a real show. (Not with Hannibal's exact ingredients, mind you.)

But seriously, a cooking show where the Hannibal chef makes the food on the show is a great idea.

Last night I got caught up with the three most recent episodes via the NBC app. Episode seven may just be my favorite of the season so far, with the way it draws so many threads together and really changes the game for Will. I didn't expect them to do so much with the Chesapeake Ripper storyline in one episode. All of it seemed like great season finale material, so now I'm desperate to know where it's all going this year.

This season has just been brilliant-- everything boldly and beautifully executed, to my mind. The most recent episode marked a significant dropoff in intensity, I will note, but that may be for the best. The show couldn't sustain its breathless pace forever.

There's also this interesting tidbit from The A.V. Club about the most recent episode's title. Sheds extra light on it's dramatically different tone: "In the kaiseki cooking tradition (for which all season two episodes are named), su-zakana is a small vinegar dish to cleanse the palate." 

Edited by andrew_b_welch

Yes, this season of Hannibal has been astonishing.

This season has just been brilliant-- everything boldly and beautifully executed, to my mind. The most recent episode marked a significant dropoff in intensity, I will note, but that may be for the best. The show couldn't sustain its breathless pace forever.

In keeping with what Andrew noted about the episode's title, Fuller noted that the most recent episode and the upcoming episode are meant to be a kind of rest after the mid-season "reboot," and that the intensity will ramp back up as we move into the final stretch.

Tyler   

I was a little worried Hannibal was becoming a "crazy of the week" show, but the way this episode played out assuaged that fear.

Also:

Even_Stevens.jpg

[edit] I just now realized that Laurence Fishburne's wife, Gina Torres, played Jack Crawford's wife on the show.

Edited by Tyler

Hannibal again proves that it has a better grasp on the vocabulary of cinematic horror than just about anything else around right now (or that has been around in many, many years). 

Perhaps a less riveting episode than others of the season, but, in cooperation with last week's episode, it's transparently laying a foundation for the endgame. On a related note, I was very pleased that this episode set up the return of Bedelia Du Maurier.

Friday's episode convinced me that I need to read Harris' books. I know Hannibal and Hannibal Rising are the weaker of the four, but I plan on doing them as well. Whatever differences exist between the books and the series, my curiosity is killing me. I really want to see how they're different and get some kind of sense of where everything is heading.

Also, Michael Pitt's character...the first time you see his hair and hear him speak, I thought, "Too much!" But by the end of that scene with his sister, he had me right in his pocket. Looking forward to seeing more of him. And that attack on

Freddie Lounds

! Another well-executed moment in a season of great moments.

Edited by andrew_b_welch

This last episode was something else. I suspect Freddie Lounds is very much alive

Friday's episode convinced me that I need to read Harris' books. I know Hannibal and Hannibal Rising are the weaker of the four, but I plan on doing them as well. Whatever differences exist between the books and the series, my curiosity is killing me. I really want to see how they're different and get some kind of sense of where everything is heading.

This show has a strange relationship with its source material. It's completely beholden to Harris' themes, images, characters, and dialogue, while also entirely committed to remixing that material to such a degree that the eventual narrative outcome is no longer discernible (if the series does make it to the point where it is covering the Red Dragon storyline, I suspect it will be barely recognizable). So it's of a piece with Harris' work, synthesizing it and making sense of its inconsistencies, while also, in places, dramatically departing from it on a narrative level. That's no small accomplishment.

Edited by Ryan H.

Tyler   

This is NBC's design.

If they stick with the Thomas Harris original storylines, roughly how much longer until they would get to Silence of the Lambs? Which they don't have the rights to use.)

Edited by Tyler

This is NBC's design.

If they stick with the Thomas Harris original storylines, roughly how much longer until they would get to Silence of the Lambs? Which they don't have the rights to use.)

Fuller has said that his vision is for the series to be 7 seasons total, with Silence of the Lambs being the fifth.

Tyler   

Remember season 4 of Breaking Bad, when it seemed like Walt was spinning totally out of control for weeks, until we blowed up Gus real good and told Skyler he won, showing he was working his plan the whole time? Freddie's non-death tonight was the same kind of moment.

As a Harris fan, I was most excited about the teacup conversation from last night's episode.

This show's repurposing of the musings about God from Harris' novels is really striking. None of the other adaptations have shown as much interest in that component of Harris' work.

tumblr_n5c4roG46M1rvs9wso1_500.gif

Edited by Ryan H.

If you're not reading Todd VanDerWerff's weekly interviews with Bryan Fuller, you really should be. For someone (like me) who's not familiar with the books (yet), it's interesting to read about some of the departures between the books and the show. Fuller can also be pretty free when talking about the show's eventual direction.

In this particular interview, I was interested in what he had to say about Crawford and exactly how much he knows, and when he knew it. I have to say, he fooled me.

Also, what Mason does to his sister may just be the plot point that has disturbed me the most in the two season so far, even with all the gruesome crime scenes we've seen.

Edited by andrew_b_welch