Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Paddington Bear

"pretty much an art house film for kids" = endorsement of the century (so far)

I'm glad you and yours enjoyed it!

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Finally saw it today, with my 7-year-old son. (I had to take him out of the house for a few hours while his 9-year-old sister had a birthday party.) I asked him afterwards if he liked it, and he said, "Yes." I asked him which *part* he liked best, and he said, "The bear." Oh-kay, then. But I did hear him giggling quite a bit at the more slapsticky elements (the marmalade dumped on the uncle's head, the whole toothbrush/earbrush/toilet/flood thing, etc.).

I agree with M Leary about the cinematic flourishes.

It had a few "grown-up" bits I could have done without ("an exotic boxer I met in a bar"!? "bunk up"!? "stop that sexy lady"!?), but they were relatively muted or the sort of thing that I assume would have flown right over my son's head.

I got a mild kick out of the fact that, in their search for Montgomery Clyde, no one ever thought to check Google. And then there are the pneumatic tubes. A definite old-fashioned feel here.

And is it safe to assume that that traveling band is from Peru?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Paddington has passed Escape from Planet Earth (2013, $57 million) to become the top-grossing family film released by The Weinstein Company in North America. It was already *by far* their top-grossing family film overseas (though they might not have distributed it there).

Of the 40+ films that Nicole Kidman has appeared in, Paddington is currently virtually tied for 12th place in North America, and it is in 5th place overseas (behind The Golden Compass, Happy Feet, Australia and Batman Forever) and 7th place worldwide (also behind Just Go with It, in which she had a supporting role behind Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, and The Others).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I forgot to note that Paddington is also the 5th-highest-grossing Weinstein film overseas... though that's a somewhat meaningless statistic, since I believe at least some of these films, like Paddington and The Intouchables, are actually foreign productions that the Weinsteins pick up for North American release. In any case, of all the films that the Weinstein Company is *affiliated* with, Paddington -- with $150 million in the bank overseas (plus another $57 million in North America) -- is behind only The Intouchables ($416.4 million overseas), The King's Speech ($275.4 million overseas), Django Unchained ($262.6 million overseas) and Inglourious Basterds ($200.9 million overseas)

And if we add the films that the Weinsteins oversaw in their Miramax days, then Paddington is also behind the foreign grosses of Bridget Jones's Diary ($210.4 million overseas), Shakespeare in Love ($189 million overseas), Life Is Beautiful ($171.6 million overseas) and -- for now -- The English Patient ($153.3 million overseas).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

What a feast for the eyes and what medicine for the heart. I've never been so misled by a trailer. I really enjoyed this movie.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

I just want to chime in and say very glad I saw this movie. Full of whimsy,wonder, and heart.

If there were no God, there would be no Atheists.

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

I'm still an atheist, thank God.

Luis Bunuel (1900 - 1983)

Wow, I knew this film had done pretty well at the North American box office, but I hadn't tracked its international take. While the final sentence here might be an exaggeration, it still made my eyes pop out of my head.

The film has gone on to become one of the highest grossing non-Hollywood family films of all time, making over $258 million worldwide.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed the "non-Hollywood" descriptor. Maybe the statement isn't an exaggeration.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian wrote:

: Wow, I knew this film had done pretty well at the North American box office, but I hadn't tracked its international take.

Oh, I had. See a few posts earlier in this thread (though admittedly I hadn't updated the stats since February -- but they were already pretty impressive by then).

Yeah, I was wrong.

This immediately goes to the top of my list of films with awful, awful trailers that ended up being pretty good.

There are bits here and there that didn't hit--some of the physical humor goes on too long, the drag scene, Jim Broadbent. But emotionally the film hits all its marks and then some.

Also--yeah, I'll go there--it's amazingly relevant right now. From Mr. Brown's "it always starts with just one" to the rationalizations about the safety of the children, to Mr. Curry choosing human decency over his honeypot.

We have a Paddington convert! Ken, I believe you enjoyed it even more than I did, based on your Letterboxd review. This trailer-to-film relationship with Paddington is the exact contrast to Prometheus, where a fantastic trailer ended up being a mediocre film.

The relevance is definitely worth noting. The immigration and refugee themes are very strong here, which isn't the typical subject for a family film featuring a CGI bear. I'm not sure it's intentional on part of the filmmakers, but Paddington really explores the Biblical command to "love your neighbor as yourself."