Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

The first screening reviews are up at Ain't It Cool, and this film just went from the top of my most-anticipated list to... well... the VERY top of my most-anticipated list...

Here's the early rave.

I have no proof it's genuine, and it's a typically un-crafted AICN gush of superlatives (and expletives), but it sounds fairly specific.

So, if you're one of those who believes that hearing a bad word will corrupt you, don't read the linked review.

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

The second one sounds like an AICN review.

The third one was done by a guy who is a member of another board I frequent - it's the most articulate of the three, thankfully.

The first screening reviews are up at Ain't It Cool, and this film just went from the top of my most-anticipated list to... well... the VERY top of my most-anticipated list...

Ditto. I'd forgotten this was coming out, what with everything else hitting the theatres.

Well, we're getting closer and closer to the end of the year... has anybody seen an official release date attatched to this film?

looks... interesting. i hate animal movies (yes, fish qualify as animals to me), but gee i just love bill murray! "and what would be the scientific reasoning behind that, sir?" [classic blase murray look] "revenge."

Wow. It's amazing how much this LOOKS like a Wes Anderson film, even though it's outdoors, with panoramic scenery. Even the landscapes look like Anderson has arranged them.

looks... interesting. i hate animal movies (yes, fish qualify as animals to me), but gee i just love bill murray! "and what would be the scientific reasoning behind that, sir?" [classic blase murray look] "revenge."

And let's not forget Murray busting a move to the helmet music... that alone made me start laughing.

Interesting thing is that Murray's character, although obviously dialogued to his strengths, isn't so far away from a Ben Stiller character. I think maybe it's over-exposure to Stiller/Owen Wilson double acts in recent years but this kind of bizzare character whose played more as the straight man has become a bit of a Stiller ouvre. Normally I'd say that shows how much Stiller trying to be like Murray but in this case (at least from the trailer) it looks like Murray has been given something a little more quirky than his norm. Looks great, though.

Phil.

Wow. It's amazing how much this LOOKS like a Wes Anderson film, even though it's outdoors, with panoramic scenery. Even the landscapes look like Anderson has arranged them.

Exactly what I was thinking. There's something interesting about the way he puts together his subjects in every movie that looks like a twisted Norman Rockwell painting.

EDIT: Heck, it's the first day of school. (In case you're wondering, I put down Normal Rockwell first.)

Edited by Clint M

I always preferred Normal Rockwell to Normal. His paintings were just so much grittier...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I had posted a detailed response to the film for you all, and now, thanks to the server problem, IT'S GONE.

I don't have time to rewrite it. Sorry. All I can say is I liked it, but not as much as Anderson's other films. It's funny, worth seeing, but seems to lack the punch and the depth of his previous work.

A brief interview with Wes Anderson.

Speaking of Bill, what's he got to do to win an Oscar?

I don't know. But whatever it is, he probably won't do it.

Do you think he has any chance with Aquatic?

He'd probably have a better chance if it was directed by Ron Howard.

One quick note...

The end title sequence -- anyone else reminded of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension? And Jeff Goldblum was in both!

More thoughts to come (hopefully I don't get distrancted blush.gif )

Darryl A. Armstrong wrote:

: And Jeff Goldblum was in both!

Jeff Goldblum is in this!? How did that completely evade my radar?

Oddly enough, the last film in which I saw Goldblum was Incident at Loch Ness, which was also about sea creatures, sort of ...

The end title sequence -- anyone else reminded of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension? And Jeff Goldblum was in both!

Ha! That immediately leapt to mind when I saw it. I wonder if it was some sort of homage.

Caught this over the weekend, and I came away with a rather "meh" feeling. Overall, it felt too much like Wes Anderson trying too hard to be Wes Anderson. It felt incredibly disjointed, and there were several arcs that just fell flat, such as the pirate raid, which came off as rather ridiculous (and proof that Anderson just doesn't know how to do action). And unlike The Royal Tenenbaums, which had a definite emotional payoff, I thought the final payoff in The Life Aquatic rang a bit hollow, and the obvious use of a Sigur Ros track made it all the moreso.

Actually, the entire soundtrack fell a bit flat for me. Anderson has a wonderful knack for picking the perfect songs for his scenes, but this time around, the whole "Bowie goes Portugese" approach felt rather gimmicky to me.

On the other hand, I loved the look of the film, especially the obviously fake internal sets for the ship, which added a very theatrical feel to the piece at times. And as Jeffrey pointed out, even the ocean scenes look like Anderson sets. And Anderson nailed the look and feel of those 1970s-era educational films that I used to watch on PBS as a kid, so he gets points with me for nostalgia's sake overall.

Saw it. Loved it. Loved Owen Wilson. Loved Jeff Goldblum. I love Wes Anderson.