Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Guardians of the Galaxy

Links to our threads on The Avengers (2012) and The Avengers 2 (in development), each of which links to our threads on the stand-alone films that led up to them.

- - -

Marvel Planning ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Movie For 2014

Disney announced today that a ‘Marvel Untitled’ movie will be moved to August 1, 2014 after first being dated May 16, 2014. Now sources confirm to Deadline that this film is indeed the intergalactic superhero team Guardians Of The Galaxy coming to the big screen. Unconfirmed fanboy rumors circulating for weeks had this before us, but always secretive Marvel as well as Disney are not confirming anything. It appears the plan is to have the Guardians fight Thanos, the grinning evil purple character seen after the credits in this year’s The Avengers. In the Marvel universe, the time travelling Guardians, who were rebooted in comic form in 2008, consist of Adam Warlock, Drax The Destroyer, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and Phyla-Vell/Quasar. . . .

Deadline.com, July 3

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Some art, including Rocket Raccoon, from this movie in this look at all of Marvel's upcoming Cinematic Universe films.

Also, wrestler Dave Bautista (better know as Batista from WWE) is Drax the Destroyer.

I really liked Dan Abnett's run with them, though I'll admit I wonder what the plot is. Also of possible interest (or concern) here is that one of the Guardians reoccurring villains is The Universal Church of Truth.

We've recently (finally) started watching Parks and Recreation, and the thought of Chris Pratt in a Marvel superhero movie -- and even moreso, a cosmic Marvel superhero movie -- makes me very happy.

Den of Geek says they have confirmation on the movie's villains.

while it was suspected that del Toro was set to play The Collector, we now have confirmed from a solid source just who is going to be who in the film.

So then: Benicio del Toro is, indeed, The Collector in Guardians Of The Galaxy. Also confirming an earlier rumour, Lee Pace is definitely going to be playing Ronan The Accuser. Karen Gillan, meanwhile, will be playing Nebula in the film.

Well, there's no Rocket Racoon in that teaser. Once you have a wisecracking, cigar-chomping, butt-kicking RACOON on the screen, it'll be a challenge to be gritty.

...and there's the wackiness.

The trailer is now playing regularly in front of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It feels like a major step sideways for Marvel.

From the Captain America: The Winter Soldier thread:

I am okay with the heroes not regularly paying visits to each other's films.

But I do think that is one of the really cool things Marvel is doing with their films. It's kinda neat having a film "universe" that clearly ties together.

And that's what feels lacking here. Feels like Marvel is reaching for that new thing... Almost kinda "hey! Maybe we can cash in on a comedy!"

Is it the beginning of the end for that cool "universe" which clearly tied together?

Edited by Persona

The fact that this doesn't feel like the other Marvel films is one of the reasons I'm digging what I see (I haven't cared for the Marvel vibe so far).

Marvel appears to be pushing their cinematic universe in a new direction, attempting to incorporate more of the fantastic side of the Marvel universe (both Ant-Man and Doctor Strange loom on the horizon, as well as an Avengers 3 that is rumored to center around Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet). One of the Guardians characters will feature in Avengers 2, so they're definitely going to attempt to keep the universe tied together, though I'll agree it's a bit of a strain to see a character like Rocket Raccoon fitting into the universe they've established for, say, Iron Man. But at this rate, it's possible the Iron Man universe might get stranger, too. Maybe Fing Fang Foom is just a few Iron Man sequels away (I hope so).

New trailer, fewer laughs: