Sign in to follow this  
Darryl A. Armstrong

Advertising

I'll leave it up to the admins and moderators and the powers that be, but I'd like to petition for a subcategory to be added for advertising in the arts section. I view it as somewhat controversial myself, but I'll fall back on a specific example of the value placed on movie posters as works of "art" to be collected. I know at least a few of us regulars work in some form of the advertising business and we've had discussions over TV ad spots before.

On the art continuum, advertising materials are on the low (repulsive) end of the spectrum, but many legitimate artists involve themselves here (if only to pay the bills). I'd love to have a devoted section here to discuss that area of work artists find themselves in.

What say ye?

Oh yeah: and Andy Warhol.

I second it--if only to see, as Darryl mentions, to see how some artists use advertising as a modern form of patronage. But also in exploring the role advertising plays in reacting to/defining what the space art plays in--not only could you cite Warhol, but Shepherd Fairey's subversively styled "Obey" street art pieces are so similar to his "Obama" poster that the line between art and advertising is now (has always been?) blurry. And for film, at least traditionally, it's both a commericial and artistic endeavor that one could legitimately ask at what point is it an advertisement of entertainment?

Thanks Buckeye! I take it there's not much interest overall though... That's OK. I am interested in this intersection between business and art and the business of art though. Has there been any deep exploration of this relationship (from any angle) that anyone can recommend? Book, essay, blog...