The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

The description for

about Orlando Bloom's last day of shooting says the Battle of the Five Armies will be in the third movie. Not sure if that's really news, but I hadn't heard it for sure before now.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 9 months later...

The subtitle is now The Battle of the Five Armies. Bilbo will be unconscious for the entire movie.

Also:

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Well, it seems somewhat appropriate that Jackson is jettisoning the one subtitle that is the ACTUAL subtitle of the novel in favour of what he's really interested in. It's hard for me to get too worked up about this at this juncture.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Thread retitled...  everyone can breathe easy now.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Well, at least we know what the film is really about now.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

C'mon guys. "There and back again" sounds boring--like a trip to the refrigerator. "The Battle of Five Armies" is so much more awesome, because it tells us that there will be a big battle with not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE kick-ass armies.  This movie is going to be even better than the next Transformers.

The Battle of the Fiver Armies would have been something really cool.

"And, lo, Bilbo heard a distant cry, 'The Rabbits!  The Rabbits are coming!' Yet, even as he strained his sharp eyes towards the West, a vast blackness overcame him, smote down unseen by the stalwart men-at-arms of Rivertown. Even in his last conscious moment, he sensed blood, blood on the fields." 

---J.R.R Tolkien, The Hobbit, Chapter 13: The Battle of the Fiver Armies. pg 214

Buckeye Jones:
: The Battle of the Fiver Armies would have been something really cool.

I agree!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, it seems somewhat appropriate that Jackson is jettisoning the one subtitle that is the ACTUAL subtitle of the novel in favour of what he's really interested in. It's hard for me to get too worked up about this at this juncture.

To be fair, his plan is to subtitle the trilogy as a whole, There and Back Again, which I think makes sense.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 2 weeks later...

1513761_790971557582823_6875264684222678

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

• 2 weeks later...

A perceptive interview/feature in The Telegraph with Viggo Mortensen, in which he touches on Jackson, LOTR and The Hobbit:

Mortensen thinks – rightly – that The Fellowship of the Ring turned out the best of the three, perhaps largely because it was shot in one go. “It was very confusing, we were going at such a pace, and they had so many units shooting, it was really insane. But it’s true that the first script was better organised,” he says. “Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

A perceptive interview/feature in The Telegraph with Viggo Mortensen, in which he touches on Jackson, LOTR and The Hobbit:

Mortensen thinks – rightly – that The Fellowship of the Ring turned out the best of the three, perhaps largely because it was shot in one go. “It was very confusing, we were going at such a pace, and they had so many units shooting, it was really insane. But it’s true that the first script was better organised,” he says. “Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.

Viggo Mortensen the Wise. This is awesome. Stealing for my blog...

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

If memory serves, Jackson actually asked Viggo to be in The Hobbit, but Viggo turned him down, yes?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 months later...

"The defining chapter of the Middle Earth saga"

Now, I'm not one to get upset over a film-maker's alleged hypocrisy, but it does kind of bug me that the trailer is keyed to push us toward a feeling of "oh, how melancholy that there's about to be a big battle where lots of people get killed"--when everyone just knows that Jackson is squealing over this like a kid at Christmas.

Then again, I couldn't be bothered to see the second movie and probably won't bother with this one. So perhaps I should refrain from opining on the trailer, too.

Well, I'll definitely be seeing this because going to watch The Hobbit films has been my younger brother's birthday treat these past few years.

I just hope it's better than the last twenty minutes of Smaug, wherein Weta created a fairly awesome dragon, only for him to lumber arthritically around, trying to talk the dwarves into a coma, while they concoct possibly the most stupid plot in the history of cinema.