The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Based on that trailer, here's a more accurate title: The Hobbit the Return of the Dwarf King Under the Mountain and the Return of the Skilled-Archer-Dragon-Slayer-who-is-in-no-way-meant-to-be-a-lazy-rehash-of-Aragorn-in-the-third-movie-of-Jackson's-last-trilogy.

Well, I'll definitely be seeing this because going to watch The Hobbit films has been my younger brother's birthday treat these past few years.

I remember going to see Return of the King as my 13th birthday present.  I have absolutely none of the excitement that I had eleven years ago.

I just hope it's better than the last twenty minutes of Smaug, wherein Weta created a fairly awesome dragon, only for him to lumber arthritically around, trying to talk the dwarves into a coma, while they concoct possibly the most stupid plot in the history of cinema.

I wouldn't count on it.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Jackson Announces Plans for 72-Part Movie Series of The Silmarillion

“The first film in the series is set to come out in Summer 2016. Then, every two years from 2018 to 2160, the following installment will be released.”

In other news, Eye of the Tiber is awesome as always.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

• 2 weeks later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Tyler wrote:

: 45-minute climactic battle sequence.

So, nine minutes for each army, then.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

That only gives us 1hr 45min.  We can safely assume the credits will take 15 minutes, so there is still AN ENTIRE HOUR unaccounted for!

And if that hour is filled with dwarf/elf love triangle and orc attacks, this could be a very long movie.

Dear God, please let that not be true.

post-8428-0-79069500-1414616701_thumb.jp

Edited by Evan C

Dear God, please let that not be true.

Holy *&^%!!!!  There's no way, is there?  Doesn't that blow way past the length of the theatrical cut for Return of the King?  

4 minutes longer than the theatrical cut of Return of the King.

When the times of all three films are added up you get 535 minutes... Put into perspective, that's five minutes shy of six viewings of the 1977 Rankin/Bass cartoon.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Amazing how ten years ago if someone said Jackson was going to deliver a 200+ minute cut of FOTR, I would have been ecstatic.

I would have felt the same way.

Um, just remember, people, that the IMDb was claiming only the other day that Exodus: Gods and Kings would be 200 minutes, and then the movie's official Twitter account said the film's actual length was more like 140 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we can safely assume the 205 minute run time was a bit overstated.  The run time is no longer listed on the IMDb page, and the local IMAX screen near me has started selling tickets for the two IMAX showings on Dec. 16th, 7:00pm and 10:30pm.  They usually have a 30 to 45 minute break in between showings, which would put the run time somewhere under 180 minutes.  Which is still long...

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The Letterboxd page now has the run time listed at 169 minutes, which is longer than Desolation of Smaug but at least under 3 hours.