Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Pontius Pilate

Mark Johnson will direct through his Gran Via banner, Lynn Harris is steering the project and they are already talking to directors.

Do they mean Johnson will produce? I'm rather confused otherwise.

FWIW, a few thoughts. The reference to the "storytelling inventions" of Gladiator and Braveheart puts my guard up (the "inventions" in those movies are so non-historical they're almost *anti*-historical), but I'm hopeful that the reference to Pilate being a "ferocious soldier" will tie in to how brutal and ham-fisted the guy was as a governor.

Tyler wrote:

: Do they mean Johnson will produce?

That's what the blog post says *now*, yeah.

So, I've read the script.

Not really sure if I should say anything about it, as scripts always go through rewrites and yada yada yada. (I only wrote my blog post about the screenplay for Noah last year because it seemed to me that Brian Godawa's earlier script review -- which made some good points -- had overlooked one of the central -- and, to my mind, most positive -- aspects of that film. If you want to get a sense of how much Noah changed between that early script and the finished film, take a look at the Noah graphic novel, which is much closer to the screenplay that Godawa and I wrote about.) But given all the hubbub these last few days over the alleged "Gnosticism" of Noah, I could not help but be amused that one minor but kind of pivotal plot element in this film comes from the Gospel of Thomas.

And yeah, it's definitely going for that R-rated Gladiator meets HBO's Rome kind of feel. But there are also moments in the script that are almost directly borrowed from Bible films like Ben-Hur and Barabbas, I would argue.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Maybe we can get Bowie now.