Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Through the Looking Glass

Links to our threads on Alice in Wonderland (2010) and earlier film adaptations of Lewis Carroll's story.

- - -

Disney mad for 'Alice in Wonderland' sequel
Mouse House stalwart Linda Woolverton is penning a sequel to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland," the 2010 hit that starred Mia Wasikowska as Alice and Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. The 3D film went on to earn $1 billion worldwide and scored Oscars for art direction and costume design. . . .
Variety, December 7

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

For goodness sakes, what took them so long?

Awful film, and all that. Still, a popular and critical hit. I'm surprised they aren't rolling out the sequel next year, or even this year.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

SDG wrote:

: For goodness sakes, what took them so long?

Well, Depp had another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in 2011. And there's The Lone Ranger, which he is also making for Disney next year. And in-between he re-teamed with Tim Burton for Dark Shadows (plus Burton was busy with Frankenweenie).

Interestingly, the IMDb doesn't list any new Burton films in production (or even pre-production) right now.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, Depp had another Pirates of the Caribbean movie in 2011. And there's The Lone Ranger, which he is also making for Disney next year. And in-between he re-teamed with Tim Burton for Dark Shadows (plus Burton was busy with Frankenweenie).

Fair enough. And Woolverton, who's only now penning the sequel? What's the reason for not having that in hand 18 months ago?

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Directed by... the Muppets guy?

Will this be Through the Looking-Glass, or an original story?

Probably an "adaptation" of Through the Looking-Glass that is about as faithful as the last film was to Carroll's first book.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Johnny Depp Finalizing ‘Alice In Wonderland 2′

EXCLUSIVE: Clearly Johnny Depp‘s reps are in publicity overdrive following a week of bruising bad press when The Lone Ranger bombed and his star status was questioned. The purpose, of course, is to demonstrate that Johnny is very much in demand. And he should be despite the public rejecting both his Tonto and Barnabas Collins roles recently. . . . Today comes news that Depp has a ‘new’ multi-year first look deal at Disney to develop film projects he can produce there. Just one problem: my insiders say that deal (which used to be based at Warner Bros) was set and signed back with Disney in March, not recently, and just never announced. What is new is that Depp is in final discussions at Disney for the much anticipated Alice In Wonderland sequel with James Bobin (of the recent Muppets reboots) subbing for Tim Burton as director. . . .

Deadline.com, July 12

- - -

BTW, a thought just occurred to me: how many other Tim Burton films have had sequels directed by *someone else*? Apart from the Joel Schumacher-directed Batman movies, is there any other precedent for this? Possibly Big Top Pee-Wee (1988), the Randal Kleiser-directed sequel to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985)? (I've never seen either film, so I have no idea if the second film was a genuine "sequel" or just another movie starring a comedian in his comic persona.)

Also, when there *have* been sequels to Burton-directed movies, have any of the original films' major stars stuck around before? Pee-Wee Herman, obviously, though one could easily argue that Herman was the driving force behind those films and Burton was just a director-for-hire. But I think the only actor who stuck around after Burton left the Batman franchise was the guy who played Alfred (and maybe one or two of the other relatively minor supporting players).