Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2013: Best Supporting Actor

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Screen Actors Guild nominees:

• Alan Arkin, Argo
  • Javier Bardem, Skyfall
  • Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
  • Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

The winners will be announced January 27, seventeen days after the Oscar nominees are announced and four weeks before the Oscar winners are announced.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

At the very least, they really should give a nomination to Sam Rockwell for Seven Psychopaths.

Vote!

And note, as Emma Stone noted this morning, that *all five* of this year's nominees have already won Oscars in the past (De Niro in the '70s and early '80s, Jones in the early '90s, and the other three in the '00s).

It would have been nice to see Tom Holland from The Impossible included here. I've seen four of the five nominees (I hope to catch DeNiro in Silver Linings Playbook this weekend), and I honestly think Holland could have had Arkin's spot.

It would have been nice to see Tom Holland from The Impossible included here. I've seen four of the five nominees (I hope to catch DeNiro in Silver Linings Playbook this weekend), and I honestly think Holland could have had Arkin's spot.

I watched The Impossible again last night and agree, although I don't think Holland is so good he deserved to be a lock. However, the movie is at least as much his as it is Watts', who did get nominated, so...

Q: Was Alan Arkin in a movie this year?

A: Yes.

Q: Was the movie good?

A: Very good; some think it's worthy of Best Picture.

THEN...

Give Alan Arkin a supporting actor nom.

(and who cares if he's playing a slightly different variation of his on-screen persona?)

Christoph Waltz

Loved Waltz in Django Unchained, and since I haven't seen Argo, The Master, or Lincoln, and don't think Robert De Niro beat out Waltz in SLP, I'll go ahead and be okay with this. Although I am suspicious that Seymour Hoffman deserved it more.