Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Westboro Baptist targeted by Anonymous

The thing to know, or maybe remember, about Westboro Baptist Church is that they are a church only in the legal sense. They have no congregation, and don't operate as a normal church in any way. They don't feed the hungry, pray for the sick, tell people about God's love for them, etc. They are only a "church" because it serves their perverse little narrative. This group is made up of a couple of families, almost all of whom are lawyers. They protest funerals, say hateful, inflammatory things, and generally do whatever they can to deliberately incite people to infringe upon their First Amendment rights. Then they sue, and they win.

This is a scam. They have acquired wealth and notoriety doing this and are not likely to stop as long as they get attention. There are many scams out there, but I find this one particularly heinous because they claim to represent the church, or worse, God himself. Frankly that pisses me off more than I can politely express. The church I know is compassionate, loving, and protects the dignity of all people whether they agree with them or not. They love their neighbors, care for the weak, feed the hungry, and are generally pretty decent people (not that there aren't a few jerks mixed in there too). Unfortunately, those folks never make the news. It's only evil, vampiric opportunists like Fred Phelps and people of his ilk that get attention from the press. All this to say, their scam should be made known and we should ignore them and deprive them of the attention they crave.

Using God's name to feed off the grief of people mourning their loss is incredibly evil. They are in no way representative of the Christian message. Unfortunately, to the extent that we continue to argue and debate them at all, they win. It's exactly what they want.

Yeah, the WBC crew tend to thrive on rejection. I mean, lots of people tend to feel rejection is proof that their path is right...but they push it to an extreme. I did watch a documentary on WBC and specifically the Phelps family (contrary to popular claims, there is a congregation, it is not all relatives). What is rather frightening is they are really nice to people outside of their protests. The guy who made the documentary lived with the Phelps for a month or more. And he was confounded that they could harbor such harsh views about who was going to hell and so on...yet be so nice to those people. They take Jesus' words about being rejected by the world very seriously.

They believe in a God who is angry and unable to tolerate sin. That is why they protest-they want people to face their sin and turn away from it and to Jesus.

Is "hate group" an federal-level law-enforcement category?

Not officially so as to change, with any legal significance, anyone's rights or citizenship status. But I have read that the FBI does have a list of flagged "hate groups" that they watch for specific kinds of activity. Of course, since the days of Hoover, they have "lists" for everything.

opus   

So apparently the Westboro folks didn't really like my article.

Greg P   

WBC lives to yank chains and no one yanks chains harder than Anonymous. I think it's a good work. Perhaps they need to yank a little harder.

Even better though, IMO, are the groups who set up donation tables for various LGBT charities next to or across the street from WBC protests. I think this is the best idea yet, to combat these soulless, religious whores. I doubt it will stop the protests at funerals though. Perhaps only legislation and the Mexican Cartel can do that, and for the record, I'm in favor of both.

Edited by Greg P

Greg P   
On a different note, this.

Very awesome.

Attica   

On a different note, this.

Very awesome.

Indeed.

Attica   

Yeah, the WBC crew tend to thrive on rejection. I mean, lots of people tend to feel rejection is proof that their path is right...but they push it to an extreme. I did watch a documentary on WBC and specifically the Phelps family (contrary to popular claims, there is a congregation, it is not all relatives). What is rather frightening is they are really nice to people outside of their protests. The guy who made the documentary lived with the Phelps for a month or more. And he was confounded that they could harbor such harsh views about who was going to hell and so on...yet be so nice to those people. They take Jesus' words about being rejected by the world very seriously.

They believe in a God who is angry and unable to tolerate sin. That is why they protest-they want people to face their sin and turn away from it and to Jesus.

This is how I've always understood them, but I may not have enough knowledge of them.

It's obvious that what they are doing is sick and evil, but I'm not sure how much they are tainting the "Christian name", so to speak, or society's view of God. I say this simply because I'm pretty sure that the vast, vast majority of people know that they are a bunch of crazies that don't represent the church, at all. They're also crazy enough that they're not influencing the vast majority of Christian thought, except maybe to influence us towards rejecting whatever thinking led them to the place they are in.

To be honest I find some of the thinking coming from guys like Driscoll and Piper to be more potentially damaging to society at large, because it has just enough of a mixture with sanity, that some people will buy into it. But that's just me.

Not saying that the hurt the WBC people are causing isn't horrific.

Edited by Attica

bloop   

Anon. has a decent point that the should be labeled a hate group, not a church, and thus pay taxes.

To my knowledge, all they've done is DDoS attacked their website (which is back), compromised the twitter account of Shirley Phelps-Roper (which is also back), and posted some addresses and phone numbers of "church" members.

Edited by bloop

SDG   

Headline: "Anonymous hacker group says Emma Watson is lead in 'Fifty Shades' film."

Clearly this reply belongs in a new thread on Fifty Shades, but I can't bring myself to create one.

I'm reminded of this Emma Watson quotation (and the associated image below):

"I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder."

the-less-you-reveal-the-more-people-can-wonder-emma-watson.jpg?

This news was posted a couple of nights ago:

"Who here actually thinks I would do 50 Shades of Grey as a movie? Like really. For real. In real life," the 22-year-old beauty posted on Sunday, of the buzz claiming she'll play Anastasia Steele in the highly anticipated film version of E L James' steamy novel.

After hundreds of fans responded (most saying they don't believe Emma would ever sign on for the erotic role) and the Tweet was re-Tweeted nearly 35,000 times, the actress responded.

"Good. Well that's that sorted then," she wrote, later adding a smiley face.

Here's the Tweet.

Edited by Overstreet

Rushmore   

It's worth noting that Anonymous is a very loosely organized group. As I understand it, joining it is simply a matter of considering yourself a member. I doubt that the hackers recycling last year's bogus Hollywood gossip are the same people as the hackers engaging in political activism.

bloop   

I think most of their targets deserve to be targeted, I just wish they were better at damaging them long-term than they are. They are spectacular at mild inconvenience.

Attica   

Wow. Is this ever an insightful and touching clip. It really shows how lost and deceived those people are.

Greg P   

I find "just ignore" an unreasonable strategy with the funeral protests. Asking grieving family and friends to ignore the protesters publicly desecrating this most solemn and personal event, is a bit much to ask of any human being.

Rushmore   

I find "just ignore" an unreasonable strategy with the funeral protests. Asking grieving family and friends to ignore the protesters publicly desecrating this most solemn and personal event, is a bit much to ask of any human being.

I agree, but I also think being ignored is exactly what WBC does not want. If they can't legally be kept away from funerals entirely (though they should be), the only way not to empower them further is to not give them attention.

Greg P   
I agree, but I also think being ignored is exactly what WBC does not want. If they can't legally be kept away from funerals entirely (though they should be), the only way not to empower them further is to not give them attention.

I agree that they love to leverage all the media attention they possibly can, but it would be wrong to think that they would "just go away" if ignored. Their extreme fundamentalism is driven by something much deeper than the spotlight.Take it away and they'd still do their thing, imo. Disrupting funerals should not be protected speech and i think the buffer zone should be extended to miles, not yards.

NBooth   

Since this seems to be our only WBC thread: Fred Phelps has just died.

Interesting that there will be no funeral. I've read that Phelps welcomed the idea of protesters at his own funeral, but perhaps WBC felt differently.

Apparently WBC "excommunicated" him a few months back.