Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Wayward Pines

Tyler   

M. Night Shyamalan is executive producing a limited-run series based on Wayward Pines, a novel inspired by Twin Peaks.

Deadline:

Three months after Fox and FX Networks announced the launch of a new FX Prods.-based unit to supply them high-profile limited and miniseries, Fox has announced the first two event drama series it has put in development: Wayward Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan and Chad Hodge and the FX Prods. division

Funny. The only thing I took away from that trailer was when it was listing the cast: " Really? Matt Dillon was nominated for an Oscar?"

One of the comments on YouTube was interesting...over the last few years it seems like there are a lot of shows picking up on the Twin Peaks legacy. The Killing focused on the single murder of a girl for over a season while Hemlock Grove (and I suppose perhaps even Eureka) are shows about the bizarre happenings in little towns.

With Twin Peaks being revived, I can see this inviting even more people making comparisons between the two shows. At least before Twin Peaks was twenty years in the past but now these two programs will be shown within months of each other. 

http://twinpeaksfans.com/2015/02/19/many-people-comparing-wayward-pines-twin-peaks/

Unless I forget in the next 26 minutes, I'll be watching the first episode tonight. I'm looking forward to it.

Tyler   

It's just okay. Feels more like The Prisoner in suburbia that Twin Peaks. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but not that much grabbed me in the premiere.

The premiere was very Shyamalan, for better or worse. For me, that's "better," but even so, I fell asleep during the middle third of the episode and -- perhaps because of that, or for other reasons -- haven't found myself thinking much about the series this week or anticipating the second episode. I'll probably watch Thursday night, but I wish I were more excited about doing so. 

Tyler   

The show isn't all that good, but it's moving fast enough to keep me interested in where it might go. For example,

Juliette Lewis seemed to be one of the main sympathetic characters, and she dies at the end of the second episode, and Terrence Howard, who was positioned as the main villain, got killed at the end of last night's episode (the third).