Sign in to follow this  
Anna J

Top 25 Marriage Films: Results and Blurbs

Interesting results. I know some of us were expecting Certified Copy to win. I checked it out a couple of different ways - weighted, unweighted. Viaggio edged out CC both times. It had fewer votes, but the votes were more consistently higher.

The winning 25 with their totals are listed here. The full list is attached.

4.60039951 Voyage to Italy (Viaggio in Italia) (1954)

4.59832952 Certified Copy (2010)

4.433557621 My Night at Maud's (1969)

4.414338998 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)

4.31535315 Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

4.252367167 Tokyo Story (1953)

4.229117809 Stromboli Terra di Dio (1950)

4.201641656 The Family Way (1966)

4.192462555 Friendly Persuasion (1956)

4.152925745 A Separation (2011)

4.116317609 A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

4.109750668 In America (2002)

4.098258519 Another Year (2010)

4.056933007 Scenes from a Marriage (1973)

3.964856443 Dodsworth (1936)

3.936261141 Tender Mercies (1983)

3.92539951 Husbands (1970)

3.914694231 L'Atalante (1934)

3.90727737 Tuesday, After Christmas (2010)

3.882999728 Don't Look Now (1973)

3.876706526 Love (Chloe) in the Afternoon (1972)

3.867727851 Hobson's Choice (1954)

3.856852185 Le Mepris (1963)

3.836302486 Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)

3.793656163 The Face of Another (1966)

All right, all films are up for grabs! We need a 2-3 sentence blurb for each film, very briefly describing the plot and hhighlighting what is special about the film. Jeremy Purves will be taking claims and accepting blurbs. Please send these to Jeremy by February 4.

I wonder if there are any that are on our Top 100, Road Films, AND this one? Sunrise maybe?

Poor Face/Off. wink.png

Marriage Films Weighted Rating.xls

Everyone start by claiming two. Then, in a few days, if there are still films unclaimed, we'll allow for more than that.

I'll keep track of blurb claims here so everyone can see them.

1 - Voyage to Italy (Viaggio in Italia) - Roberto Rossellini (1954) - Darren H.

2 - Certified Copy - Abbas Kiarostami (2010) - Overstreet

3 - My Night at Maud's - Eric Rohmer (1969) - J.A.A. Purves

4 - Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - F.W. Murnau (1927) - Persona

5 - Make Way for Tomorrow - Leo McCarey (1937) - SDG

6 - Tokyo Story - Yasujiro Ozu (1953) - Overstreet

7 - Stromboli Terra di Dio - Roberto Rossellini (1950) - Nathaniel

8 - The Family Way - Roy Boulting (1966) - Peter T Chattaway

9 - Friendly Persuasion - William Wyler (1956) - Darrel Manson

10 - A Separation - Asghar Farhadi (2011) - SDG

11 - A Woman Under the Influence - John Cassavetes (1974) - Evan C

12 - In America - Jim Sheridan (2002) - Anders

13 - Another Year - Mike Leigh (2010) - Justin Hanvey

14 - Scenes from a Marriage - Ingmar Bergman (1973) - Anodos

15 - Dodsworth - William Wyler (1936) - Nathaniel

16 - Tender Mercies - Bruce Beresford (1983) - Persona

17 - Husbands - John Cassavetes (1970) - Darren H.

18 - L'Atalante - Jean Vigo (1934) - James Blake Ewing

19 - Tuesday, After Christmas - Radu Muntean (2010) - Nick Olson

20 - Don't Look Now - Nicolas Roeg (1973) - Russ

21 - Love (Chloe) in the Afternoon - Eric Rohmer (1972) - Russ

22 - Hobson's Choice - David Lean (1954) - Peter T Chattaway

23 - Le Mepris - Jean-Luc Godard (1963) - Ryan H.

24 - Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1974) - Christian

25 - The Face of Another - Hiroshi Teshigahara (1966) - Tyler

Wow. Just... wow. What an exciting list!

That #1/#2 combo is really wild, considering the relationship between the two.

How do we send them to Jeremy? Via private message here? Email? (I'd like to write on Certified Copy and Make Way for Tomorrow.)

I'll do Make Way for Tomorrow (1937).

Nobody but Peter reviews The Family Way, obviously.

I can also take Friendly Persuasion.

But gosh, I'm reeling from some of the omissions.

Yeah, me too, though you and I probably disagree hugely on which omissions we each view as significant. Right now, I feel very out of sync with the A&F community.

I'd like to write on Certified Copy and Make Way for Tomorrow.

I'll do Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) ... I can also take Friendly Persuasion.

Jeffrey just beat you to it by seven minutes. Do you have a third choice?

Oo oo, I want a third: A Separation. However, if I'm taking too much, I'm willing to give up Friendly Persuasion.

If SDG takes Make Way for Tomorrow, and that's fine with me, I'll take Tokyo Story or In America.

Edited by Overstreet

Yeah, me too, though you and I probably disagree hugely on which omissions we each view as significant. Right now, I feel very out of sync with the A&F community.

Similar feelings here. Quite a curious list. There you go - that's democracy for you. Next time, why don't those of us who are right do the whole thing ourselves?

I'll blurb Scenes From A Marriage, if that's okay. It's my one nomination that made it through.

If SDG takes Make Way for Tomorrow, and that's fine with me, I'll take Tokyo Story or In America.

Wow, thanks so much Jeff. Yes, I'd love to do Make Way for Tomorrow and A Separation. I am also willing to do Friendly Persuasion, unless someone else wants it.

Edited by SDG

I wish I'd remembered to nominate The Blue Angel. Darn.sad.png

It's a pretty good list, though. I'll take Stromboli and Dodsworth if no else wants them.

The variety and surprise of this list is fascinating to me. I suppose the disappointment, if you would call it that, at beloved films being left off is in itself a statement on marriage because everyone here sees it so differently and personally.

I can't wait to see some different interpretations of "the most glaring omissions," and defenses thereof.

Yes! If we all blog about it, or post opinions on Facebook, with links to the list, we can stir up conversation by highlighting those we wish were there, and those we're glad made it. This is all good for A&F and the conversation as a whole.

Very interesting list. Some really great choices, many I have not seen, so I'm looking forward to viewing those. I'm most disappointed The Painted Veil didn't make it, but oh well.

I can blurb A Woman Under the Influence if no one else wants it.

I'll take IN AMERICA, since I voted it a 5.

Would have loved to do TOKYO STORY, but I defer to Jeffrey Overstreet.

My biggest disappointment is that EYES WIDE SHUT didn't make the list. I wanted to see Darren write on it.

While I'm at it, can I nominate Darren to write on VIAGGIO IN ITALIA, since it was his encouragement that got me to track it down?

Yeah, me too, though you and I probably disagree hugely on which omissions we each view as significant.

Since you doubtless gave It's a Wonderful Life a 1, I'm sure you're at least partly right.

Probably the most heartbreaking near miss, for me, is Fiddler on the Roof at #30. Still, I can understand a great film not quite getting there.

I'm having a harder time understanding certain films not even finishing in the top 50. The Road Home at #53? Mysteries of Lisbon at #81? The New World at #86?

The Incredibles at #91, barely over 3? Really? Who gave 2's and 1's to The Incredibles?

Probably the unkindest cut of all, from my point of view, is the film that finished next to last, in position 140, with an average score of barely over 2: Babies.

I'm still debating whether it's better or worse that the film that finished dead last was ... Face/Off. No complaints there, you understand. Good call, people.

So, what can we say about Babies? "Better than Face/Off," I guess, and not much else.

Honestly, I didn't expect it to make the list, although such a joyous affirmation of the principal end of marriage wouldn't have been out of place on the list. Certainly it deserved better than this.

Edited by SDG

My biggest disappointment is that EYES WIDE SHUT didn't make the list. I wanted to see Darren write on it.

While I'm at it, can I nominate Darren to write on VIAGGIO IN ITALIA, since it was his encouragement that got me to track it down?

Seconded.

And seconded.

The New World at #86?

Yeah, my commentary on the list will probably begin with a paragraph or two on the absence of The New World. It's my favorite film on marriage, frankly.

Also, one last thought while I'm at it. It's a bit of a shame that either UP or THE INCREDIBLES (as SDG pointed out) didn't make it, since I think they are remarkable portrayals of marriage in contemporary family films. But I can see the argument that marriage isn't really the raison d'ĂȘtre of either film (though I think an argument could be made for UP).

I'm going to chalk it up to a few of the films on this list that I haven't seen being awesome.

Also, interesting the MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and TOKYO STORY pairing there at 5 and 6.

So, what can we say about Babies? "Better than Face/Off," I guess, and not much else.

Honestly, I didn't expect it to make the list, although such a joyous affirmation of the principal end of marriage wouldn't have been out of place on the list. Certainly it deserved better than this.

I'll be honest I've never seen it and didn't prioritize watching it, but I think that its omission may speak to different interpretations of "the principal end of marriage" among Catholics, Evangelicals, and others.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this